Ppppphil

Jul 11, 2020
Qld
Hi all, I'm just considering buying a 2014 expanda 20.64.1 It's weights are
Tare 2701
Gtm 2940
Atm 3127
Ball 187
I have a reasonable understanding of tow weights but am after some advice on what choice of tow car I should make. If I buy this caravan my car budget would be fairly depleted to around $25k leaving me options of
Grand cherokee
High km basic ranger
Colorado ute
I would be buying to do a year or so and then be trading up when funds are available but would be putting a fair few kms on the car in that period.
Has anyone any experience of any of these combinations?
Thanks

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Vehicle selection would be about right ignore the Tare as it doesn't exist and the TBW will be a bit more in real life and note as the TBW increases the GTM decreases but the ATM remains constant and with a ATM of over 3t you will need a tug which can supposedly tow 3.5t, I say suppose as the amount you can tow drops as you load up your tug ...

You could add a BT50 and a D Max to your list, in fact the D Max I would say is the best of the bunch as they are bullet proof almost and really have the least amount of dramas .... The Grand Cherokee WK2 diesel is a brilliant tug, with only 600kg load carrying not much left after TBW and a couple of bums on seats left for gear, the petrol V6 won't do it though...
Any of the Utes you will want a 3lt/2.7lt engine don't waste time with the little chook chaser 2lt jobs ... at $25K you will have to be very choosy in getting one that is in good nick and has upgraded suspension, the original stuff will be flogged out by now ......