17' Series Touring ATM

GrantEd

Jan 15, 2018
Adelaide
Hi. I’m new here but my story probably sounds familiar. I recently bought a Swan outback and while I love it I’m already dreaming about an expanda.

I am thinking about getting one in a few years after I solve the storage problem (build a shed). I’m currently driving a 2013 Territory max tow rating of 2300kg. I’d like to one day get a Prado but I could not afford a new van and car at the same time.

After looking at the vans I think a 17 foot version would be best and we have 3 kids and are constantly tripping over each other and our gear in the Swan but my car may not tow one. I know the outback would need something bigger but what about the touring? What’s the ATM on them?

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Other than looking at Google I can't help you and would have thought someone would have chimed in by now but whatever the answer the best way is to have an ATM about 500kg less than the Tow weight of your tug then you have some leeway when you load your tug and don't blow the GCM, the tow cap of the tug doesn't mean you can actually drag that weight behind when loaded up............................Swans are great thats for sure but 3 kids can make them seem very small in a short time..............

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
We have a 2013 Territory and tow a 2015 17.56-2 touring mod had the atm reduced by 15kg at build to 2299kg just to be safe. Weighed it full came in at 2220kg.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Of course you can still tow something that's plated with a higher weight so long as the actual weight is no more than what's allowed. You only get fined for real weights not guestimates.

Reactions: wally

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Make sure the Territory has the Ford HD tow pack installed, not just the standard tow pack one which is limited to 1600kg.
Another difference is that the standard tow pack is NOT rated to support a WDH.

Also, you need a special 12-pin socket with the reed switch in it to turn off the reversing sensors when you have a trailer connected.
Easiest is to get the Ford wiring harness which has all that is needed although you can get these sockets from Super Cheap Auto.

cheers
Mike

Reactions: KECL