18' Series toolbox conundrum...

Ssil2000

Jan 27, 2017
Adelaide
@Jemmo that box is awesome, the only issue is i would have to have a top lifiting door as my genny is 480 high. i went past mw toolbox today and i just got given the bad news theres no change of getting it before christmas. so i think i will tough it out and hoping that will convince SWMBO that the box is needed and get it made in the new year.

thanks for all your help guys

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

Jemmo

Feb 25, 2016
Bendigo, Vic
@Jemmo that box is awesome, the only issue is i would have to have a top lifiting door as my genny is 480 high. i went past mw toolbox today and i just got given the bad news theres no change of getting it before christmas. so i think i will tough it out and hoping that will convince SWMBO that the box is needed and get it made in the new year.

thanks for all your help guys
Hi @Ssil2000 ,
Understand your conundrum. We don't actually have a genny, but i designed this one so that the EU20i would fit.
Having said that, we love having the front opening door as it is a very useful storage space while you are camping, and particularly if you are away for the day and just want to tuck the weber etc into something that can be locked and out of sight.
If you wanted the front opening door and only have to find another 50mm to fit the genny in (ie 480mm vs 430mm), I'd imagine you could tilt it on the way in until you get over the lip, and then back up straight once inside the box.
MW took about 6 weeks from order to finish on ours, and i couldn't fault them - good product, excellent communications and service, and a good price.
The changes i'd make on ours would be:
- move the holes (horizontally) for the gas lines into the gas bottle holders so that they are are at the corner where the holder is attached to the box. I drilled extra holes to do this, and;
- make the gas bottle holders smaller as there is a fair bit of free room in ours. We have ours chocked with some rubber currently, but i need to come up with a better solution to meet the standard for fixing them in. They will not move/come out, but it is a bit agricultural at present.
- instead of a floor in the gas bottle holder with a hole in the centre, make it stretch mesh or similar so it was strong, but no water could sit in it.

Good luck!!
Cheers, Jemmo

Reactions: bigcol

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
From memory, vents are required to be at the bottom, since gas will accumulate at the lowest point with a high vent it won't escape and you will have a bomb and bottles must be kept seperate from other items in the boot/box ie: nothing to be packed around them. So a small wall would do the job.
The vents on our Silverline are all on the bottom as Drover said

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
This is the box I made, holds gas bottles and generator. Weber baby Q will not fit in box as it is full with generator and gas bottles.
Made a new base for Webber Baby Q and it now fits in front boot door. when using weber it sits on slide frame from chassis rail.
View attachment 58255 View attachment 58256 View attachment 58257 View attachment 58258 View attachment 58259 View attachment 58260 View attachment 58261 View attachment 58262
More pics of that BBQ arm please, very impressive. CNC cut Weber frame?. How is the chassis insert mounted.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
and when you work it all out build 2 of them @Crusty181 , I've been meaning to copy it since @Base23 posted it originally.......................looking at the gas bottle strorage regs I found out that a Test Point has to be fitted below the reg in most states and the little block with a grub screw hanging off it is the test point, never to old to learn somethng new...

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
For what its worth; If a gas bottle is in an enclosed space, by AS5601.2 says something about it only having the bottles and their associated fittings. It isn't to be shared with other storage and should be divided off.
Don't know if any one has ever been pulled up on it, or what would happen if they were....

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
For what its worth; If a gas bottle is in an enclosed space, by AS5601.2 says something about it only having the bottles and their associated fittings. It isn't to be shared with other storage and should be divided off.
Don't know if any one has ever been pulled up on it, or what would happen if they were....
These are the only Gas Police I know of. Pretty sure they don't do caravans

article-2512837-199DA7F900000578-777_634x397.jpg