16' Series Tool box - illegal ?

EmmaB

Oct 25, 2015
Wa
so the van we are about to buy has a custom made tool box on the back. My concern is that this alters the length and weight of the vehicle and also might alter the way the van handles on the road from a safety perspective. Also if the van hasn't been put through the pits after the modification I am worried that this would be grounds for the invalidation of insurance if there was an accident as the vans weight and length is different. We really like this van. We want to buy it. Am I being anal or is this a valid legal concern. We don't want to make a mistake. Jaycos website says they do not recommend adding any toolboxes as this alters weight and warranty is invalid. It's a 2008 and we are in WA

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Just had my van checked for re licensing (picked up interstate). It does depend on the length of the van and the lengths between the front/rear and the axels. From memory the back cannot be longer than the front, but my memory isn't too good this week. As long as the van is kept in license, you are ok, and as long as you don't overload it. We put a box on the back of our last van, and due to our tow car we found it travelled more level but the ride was just as stable and good. We had kids sand toys, mats, hoses, BBQ and kids chips stored in there.

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
The only safety issue with a rear toolbox would be the effect on rear impact collisions. A toolbox with either a thickened lower rear edge or a rear bar extended beyond the toolbox would probably be ok. Easiest way to get an answer is ring the registration mob.

Reactions: Delano

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
from all that I have read - regarding Caravans & DoT in WA
it is very ambiguous

as @Smirke said,
as long as the distance from the centre of the Axel to the furthest rear point is not greater than same distance to the furthest front point

your okies

when you insure it, make sure you have it noted that there is a box XYZcm x XYZcm x XYZcm on the back bumper

things to look at with this box is............
1) solid mounting
2) solid Chassis mounting
3) amount of over hang on rear bar...... (some mount a box onto the rear bar, and it over hangs it by half the width of the box.....not very solid.....)
4) actual size of the box

if in doubt, and you have access to the Van, pop a picture up, and the "Brains trust" can have a gander at it, and comment

bottom line

you should be ok

Reactions: Drover and dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you really like the rig and it "Feels Good", go for it, uncertain about the box just take it off..........thats the easy solution as you will only fill it with stuff anyway.

I personally wouldn't have anything bigger that a pole box on the back for the swing anything bigger can cause.

You will see all manner of things hanging off vans as you wander around and they never get pulled over, always hear about the fella who has a friend who's heard about a mates , mate getting done but never, ever met them........................mostly urban myths.