Tone's 17.56-2 mods

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
IMG_5877.JPG
Today I took out the light from the front tunnel boot an replaced it with a led strip light with a switch at both ends now won't need a torch to see in the right hand side.

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
Today we got not a mod but our 3rd Aircon fitted under warranty. The first stopped working on our way to the Flinders 12 months ago and got replaced Jan this year with one that vibrated everything very noisy and was really unusable. After inspection it looked like it might have been dropped in transit things inside were bent and out of alignment. Fingers crossed this unit lasts.

Ray Jones

Aug 12, 2017
Wallan, Victoria
Cheapest mod, I Was going to replace the inside speakers with some better ones because the fusion ones sounded terrible. All fixed just removed the covers off the back, they sound great now.

Gotta try that, the internal speakers on the 2017 17.56-2 are terrible also.

Pilchards

Aug 15, 2012
Jewells, NSW
Been busy doing some mods on our van, just haven't had time to share them with everyone. First was make the bumper with a receiver for the bike, then after much thinking came up with the bike rack so would fold out of the way for the beds. It holds 2 adult bikes and is well balances to fold down and can be done with little effort. Do have to do something about the number plate. View attachment 32972View attachment 32973View attachment 32974View attachment 32975
Hi Tone, any feed back on how the bike rack and rear bar held up. I have a 4 bike carrier the same design as yours and wondering if the rear bar was ok. Cheers James.

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
Hi Tone, any feed back on how the bike rack and rear bar held up. I have a 4 bike carrier the same design as yours and wondering if the rear bar was ok. Cheers James.
Working great so far no probs yet. The fold down set up is so quick and easy and easier to get the front bike out. It’s probably done 14,000km so far.

Pilchards

Aug 15, 2012
Jewells, NSW
Working great so far no probs yet. The fold down set up is so quick and easy and easier to get the front bike out. It’s probably done 14,000km so far.
Thanks for the feedback, did you end up strengthening the rear bar?? What size steel did you end up using?? cheers James.

Ray Jones

Aug 12, 2017
Wallan, Victoria
Gotta try that, the internal speakers on the 2017 17.56-2 are terrible also.

Removal of the covers certainly lets the cone move and now have some bass action.

As my covers were also keeping the messy wiring tidy, I opted to carve a dirty big hole in the back of the cover and replace them.

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
Long time no posts but just sold our expanda today. Loverly couple just drove away with all the memories. We haven’t been using it very much since buying the forward fold camper as we have been going off road a lot more. But plan on buying an new van in the next few years.
9F26289F-35D1-4A5A-ABF6-5F4398ABBBEB.jpeg

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
We will still be interested in your travels in your camper @Tone and how you find the differences as well as any other info you like to tell us, camping spots, off road or otherwise.

Reactions: Tone

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
Will be hanging around here just been pretty quiet of late. A few big trips planned in next couple of years and caravan wasn’t going with us and kids loving their swags. Life changes and had a real tast of the outback so dusty rough roads will be for us for a while.

Reactions: Crusty181 and DRW

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Will be hanging around here just been pretty quiet of late. A few big trips planned in next couple of years and caravan wasn’t going with us and kids loving their swags. Life changes and had a real tast of the outback so dusty rough roads will be for us for a while.

Nothing like "roughen it" to really enjoy the ideals of camping in the outback @Tone . Happy and safe camping.