Toilet will not flush

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Are you guys putting the chem's in the top tank? Are the chems supposed to stop algae?

Hi mate, I'm using Nappisan and eucalyptus drops now but in our porta potti I was using thetford in top and bottom. I didn't use to empty the top tank and eventually found algae when flushing so I guess not!

Cheers.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I have the black stuff....how do you get to the tank to clean it out??

To empty you can pull off the tube at the bottom that shows you the water level and let it drain. After that replace and fill with a solution, not sure what, thetford do a product to rinse out and then empty again. Maybe another member here can suggest a mix for getting rid of the algae.

Cheers.

Gaz70

Banned
Sep 14, 2011
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
thanks burnsy, i will try that when i get back from my current trip..we are on tank water, so guessing my algae came from that orginally, having been using town water for a while now, but algae is still there..i have always used the lavender top tank additive..

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
To empty you can pull off the tube at the bottom that shows you the water level and let it drain. After that replace and fill with a solution, not sure what, thetford do a product to rinse out and then empty again. Maybe another member here can suggest a mix for getting rid of the algae.

Cheers.

To add to this I emptied my top tank yesterday and it's much easier to disconnect from the top of tube. Just pull the tube down and it will come off, then just let it lay down and out comes the water. At the bottom where the rubber elbow is it's a bit fragile and could easily be damaged, in fact I plan to get another one as a spare!

Cheers.

jdonly1

Dec 7, 2011
Bairnsdale Vic
We went away for the easter break and toilet would not flush,grrr
Checked all fuses and and still no go.The light on the flush switch is not on so I am guessing that the switch/power board is buggered>:(

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
I'm currently using the Dometic brand stuff in both the flush tank (Pink) and the holding tank (Blue or Green). Probably same as Thetford but reasonably priced. Also using "special" caravan toilet tissue. Not sure how special it is, but does break down very quickly.

Warren Pavey

Jan 13, 2014
Brisbane
If it's not the fuses turn the light on in the bathroom and press the flush button if the light dims the pump is gone and will need replacing if the light does not dim the micro switch has gone if you have a soldering iron you can remove the micro switch and replace it with a Jaycar one for 50c or the circuit board can be bought for around $38.

You can also when the pump is removed is spray a bit of WD40 in the impella and using a small nail or screw driver lever the impella around and this may get the pump working for a while.

http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=10885

http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=5847

View attachment 11411 View attachment 11412 View attachment 11413 View attachment 11414
This was very helpful with a toilet issue I just had. Now I know how it all works!

Reactions: Stone Stomper

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW

You can also when the pump is removed is spray a bit of WD40 in the impella and using a small nail or screw driver lever the impella around and this may get the pump working for a while.

Thanks @Stone Stomper this was exactly my problem. I had a blown fuse initially so replaced it with what I had, a 7amp instead of the 3amp no dimming of the LED lights though. Still no flushing so pulled out the pump and while doing so noticed a lot of crystals on the hose to the pump. Turns out the pump had seized and a bit of "small nail" action saw it right again. Will replace the 7amp fuse with a 3amp now I'm home. The previous owner of the van used the tablets in the top tank so am wondering if the crystals originated from there. I know it was the crystals in the pump that seized it because of the feel of the motor when I was loosening it. Quite gritty.

Anyhow, all working again. I'm a bit of a toilet Nazi so it doesn't get used very often and I also suspect that is part of the problem. I'm think I may need to relax my "emergencies only" approach.

Jack Frost

Mar 15, 2015
Gold coast
Hi all,
We have an 18-56-9 which has an ensuite/toilet. Since we've arrive at our destination today the toilet will not flush. We haven't used it since our last trip in November when it was fine. Now when we press the 'button' nothing happens, no noise no water. Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks Kim
Hi Kim, Just picked up our 2010 Jayco stirling this afternoon and guess what, Toilet wouldn't flush, after looking on here checked the fuse found by taking the top of the flushing switch and lifting up the pump that it had seized as not being used for about 6-7 months. loosened it up with the help of a small screw driver and some wd40 now works good as gold

Reactions: cruza driver

Spark8

Apr 3, 2015
Mclaren vale
Found a post that had some pictures on how to get to the pump. Sooooo helpful. Got to the pump in minutes. The pump had seized and sprayed etc but didn't work. I used some long nosed pliers to turn the inpleller. With a little pressure the inpleller push back up the shaft by a few mm. Thought I had messed up but the pump fired up. Put back together and works a treat. Hope this helps

Reactions: mfexpanda

Omar H

Jan 12, 2017
Sydney
Exactly the same as everyone above. First time using the toilet after buying a used Expanda.

I was out of my depth but thanks to this post and some pics, I was able to find the pump and loosened the impeller using a screwdriver. Works well now! I didn't use wd40 but now I'm wondering if I should get back in there and spray the pump with it??

Warren Pavey

Jan 13, 2014
Brisbane
Exactly the same as everyone above. First time using the toilet after buying a used Expanda.

I was out of my depth but thanks to this post and some pics, I was able to find the pump and loosened the impeller using a screwdriver. Works well now! I didn't use wd40 but now I'm wondering if I should get back in there and spray the pump with it??
Yes Omar, a light spray of WD40 would help

Bob Daniels

Nov 2, 2017
Hobart
If it's not the fuses turn the light on in the bathroom and press the flush button if the light dims the pump is gone and will need replacing if the light does not dim the micro switch has gone if you have a soldering iron you can remove the micro switch and replace it with a Jaycar one for 50c or the circuit board can be bought for around $38.

http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=10885

http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=5847

View attachment 11411 View attachment 11412 View attachment 11413 View attachment 11414
I have a 2012 Expanda Ouback, toilet worked ok for the first 3 years then failed. I was told that the wiring in the body behind the toilet was broken. It cost me approx $500 to fix. Worked ok for 2 short trips then failed again. Checked power supply and there was power to the top circuit board. Suggested to bypass this and put in a simple switch to give power to the pump.
Worked for 5 flushes and failed again.
Now been out at the Jayco service centre Hobart for over a week and still not fixed.
Suggest anyone who has this problem to bypass bottom and top circuit boards and simply wire directly to the pump with inline fuse.
Do we really need a light to tell us the toilet is full.
In my opinion Jayco should be responsible for this common fault.

Spinace

Mar 21, 2017
Adelaide
I have a 2015 17.56.2 Expanda Outback with the Thetford C402C toilet that’s stopped working with no lights on control panel. Lifted the pump up and turned the impeller a few times and the pump started spinning, had it working for 5 flushes and failed again. Opened the control panel and tested the power wires into circuit board (red & black wires) with a multimeter and only got 0.9volts. Traced the wires back I found a circular cover outside under the flooring below the cassette doorway, the connectors where corroded with all the red wires separated from the connector. Stripped the red & black wires back and reconnected them back with two New electrical connectors. The toilet pump along with the range hood light & fan now working! I have attached a couple pics.
043E9ACF-9F0E-442E-A574-8803A1F8C335.jpeg
983F8A8B-FDE8-436B-BAD0-A30C0FFA5FA0.jpeg
6DAD76E1-78D3-4810-9923-4EA4137A587A.jpeg