To undersling or not ???

Rod.F

Jan 23, 2012
Western Sydney NSW
Hi I have a discovery 17 5 55 sh touring model just would like some feedback about the Good & Bad things about doing this mod I tow with a prado that has a" 2" lift so the nose of the van sits up hi I do have a WDH that is on the lowest setting but still sits up I would appreciate some feedback please ,Also I do have a full annex and no that the walls will be a bit short how have you fixed this issue or would you just leave them as they are. Thanks

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
If it is only to get the van level, a longer drop WDH shank is a cheaper option. It is to gain height, remember that your stabiliser legs are for top slung axles. Under slinging will lift about 4 inches.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
I got the longer dropshank for the Triton when I put a ARB rear bar on to level the van out because the receiver is 100mm higher. My van is a tourer and I don't have the Triton lifted.

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
I under slung our Discoverys axle for more clearance than for a level ride, awning was just long enough but skirt along van had to be lengthened too and rear stabiliser legs needed a 50mm drop block added to them. Other than that its a easy job.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
No issues since going under-slung. Just a nice level rig and no "hang-ups".
image.jpg

Rod.F

Jan 23, 2012
Western Sydney NSW
Thanks for the feedback mainly want to do it for the clearance & also to level it out as we will be doing some national parks & free camping which you need that little bit extra ground clearance the conversion is not costing me anything as I am doing it at work in my own time of course ;) I put the van up on stands today to have a look and it looks pretty simple to do.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
LOVE that workshop space!
Just one thing you will have to take into account. Your hitch is mounted to the top of your A Frame. On the OBs it is mounted to the bottom. ( See pic below)
No big deal really but the extra height may mean you will need an adjustable height tow hitch on your tug to get things level when towing.
image.jpg

Reactions: Rod.F

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
My recently departed Discovery had the axles under slung. At times I did need to put a wooden block under the wind down stabiliser legs. As mentioned above the hitch was mounted on top of the A frame. Was not a problem when hitched to the Territory. Once the level rides went on the van sat nice and level. The extra ground clearance was a must.

Reactions: Xpandafan and Rod.F

DroversDog

Sep 8, 2013
Brisbane
View attachment 17633 All done & back on it wheels again sits nice & level now.
Nice job.

I ordered my single-axle Discovery from Jayco with underslung axles because the previous Destiny kept bottoming out (too much overhang with single axle).

The mods that Jayco automatically did at the factory to compensate for the extra height were:
1. a drop-down step (like used on the Outback); and
2. drop-down stabiliser legs.

Of course, the annex was tailored at the dealer's for the extra height, so no problem there.

Reactions: Rod.F

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Next time I buy a new van I will definitely order it underslung. Just had mine done yesterday but its always easier to do at the factory. You live and learn. I got the underslung done as we are ordering our annexe next week so I wanted the height done plus I can drink more beer. I can fit under the van to do more mods :). However it is a pretty cheap mod to get done so even if you think about it later like me its no big deal. I phoned CIL and it was no problems as long as it was done professionally. I am now thinking the kids can sleep under the van, saves me buying a 20.

Rod.F

Jan 23, 2012
Western Sydney NSW
IMG_1045.JPG IMG_1053.JPG IMG_1054.JPG IMG_1055.JPG IMG_1059.JPG IMG_1060.JPG These are the parts I needed to do the undersling 4 Fishplates New nyloc nuts & spring washers i welded the fishplates on little bit of grinding to allow the bolt on plate to fit correctly extended the wires for the electric brakes painted the axles a pretty cheap & simple modification that's makes such a great improvement cant wait to test it out next trip November to Yamba cant wait :)

Reactions: Thirstyviv

garfield

Oct 9, 2012
Hervey Bay Qld
That is certainly high enough
I was contemplating matching the 17inch rims on the GU patrol to save carrying an extra tyre in the outback but not sure if it will affect the stability of the van. I will be investigating and will keep posted