Tight Squeeze - Parking the Van

ElectricGuru

Sep 5, 2011
SE Brisbane
Hey everyone.

Just thought I would share the fun that we have getting the van around the side of the house. Not as difficult as KlugerClan's driveway but still makes the getting home part fun.

First, our adventure actually starts in the next street from where I start to reverse the van down to our driveway...
IMG_3050.JPG IMG_3053.JPG

Then getting the turning angle right, the van starts lining up at the top of the driveway...
IMG_3059.JPG IMG_3064.JPG

From there, it is a case of lining it up with the side of the house. Only a bit more than a foot either side so it has to be right...
IMG_3068.JPG IMG_3088.JPG

The van gets under the downpipe with a couple of inches to spare so at this point it is starting to turn it around the house to get it lined up with the pads...
IMG_3096.JPG IMG_3100.JPG

Then the cool and calm driver hands over control (via the radio) to the observer to guide back to the pads to level the van out...
IMG_3103.JPG IMG_3114.JPG

Home ready for the unpack...
IMG_3134.JPG

Now that we are moving up to the 17'er, don't know if it will fit based on this.

Feel free to share your home arrival adventures too...

Cheers :)

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
That is one tight squeeze.

Not sure if you'll get the 17 down there, especially if you go the outback version.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Holy crap!! Over inflating the tyres by a couple of PSI could mean all the difference to a drain pipe in tact.
I'm with Mick.
Repeat pics will be required when the 17 makes the same journey down the side of the house.

Spot

Oct 16, 2012
Capalaba, Brisbane
That’s an interesting situation EG might have to chamfer the corner off the house roof, but looks like you’ve got a pretty good handle on getting the 16 in there if the new van fits under the eave it possibly fair to say the 17 will get in there also. Just grab some touch up paint upon delivery and the swear jar.

Creating Memories

Oct 25, 2012
Nth Qld
Could not have read a more exact experience to what we have just encountered. In our scenario I had the wife drive whilst I directed with hands signals. I work in car yard where all responsibility is on the director and not the directed. We normally talk in mm moving cars. So with 110 mm each side we put it to bed today for the first time after it's first 3 dayer. Only picked up on Friday.
You will love the 17s.
Amazing space. Even wife is surprised that she could not fill every cupboard. Pack it with wine and beer I reckon.
Should have done it years ago.
Going back to Rollingstone NQ again next weekend just to get the bugs out before our 3 week in Dec.

Ps. Good drivin. I would let you park my van any day.
Steve- Creating Memories.

Big Al

Jul 23, 2012
That's some sweet driving. Good luck with the 17!

That's one tight squeeze. I have a similar problem to the point that I have to remove one section of my gate.I wander how many attempts it takes you.I got so frustrated that I bolted a hitch to the front of my patrol to make it easier.i also have a 16 49 1

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Hey Gil. Some neat driving with the nice LC. How many times did you change from Drive to Reverse.....mmm? As for the 56.2, looks like you have already done the deal and ordered....RIGHT?
You might have a issue fitting under that guttering there with height. I mean you will have a issue. Just back it up on the driveway with some chocks. Look fwd to our next annual meet. The long w/ends of 2013 await. Oz w/end we are off to Wivenhoe, Fri - Mon.
I have attached a pic of the parking spot for the van. Looking to cut the gutter and put Crusher dust down as that's all council have approved due to sewer main easement. Can't build squat on that part of the land.
file-40.jpg

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Some sweet driving there, just as well your not going into an 18, I think I'd be relocating the down pipe to the front of the gargage
Did you bring out traffic control while you reverse up the street :biggrin:

No real pics of the parking process but at our previous residents I had to go across the street almost up the neighbours drive at about 45 degrees clearing a brick letter box to the right, by about 6 inches, when the van was half way past the letterbox it was full right hook to just off jackknife all while clearing a telegraph pole on the left with the side of the tug usually folding the mirror to get past not to mention the 2ft drop over the retaining wall into the neighbours yard....hitching up to get out again was always interesting.

These days it's much easier, 3m wide double gates lined up with the driveway, though the letter box (steel post) could do with relocating.

randl007

Oct 27, 2011
Queensland
Sorry Gil No way a 17 will fit I think off site storage may be a go but I know that would then mean a rethink on the van. 17-56-2 or work and play or Base station, Decisions will have to be made.