Thunder Mountain Lives

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Somewhere in the western ranges of NSW lies a town, that town is normally a peaceful place where the cattle & sheep graze and the locals go about there daily lives and business.
However once every year that town is shaken and all hell breaks loose, Is it an Earthquake? Is it an Volcano? Nah! none of them, though some liken it to a distant Thunder storm approaching, but this town lies in the shadow of a Mountain and many ask what can it be? Some may vacate the place but others stand steadfast as this mysterious sounds get louder and louder and continue for several days, the population swells beyond capacity. This town is know nation wide if not world wide and as certainly made its make on the map and people travel for hundreds and even thousands of kilometres to witness this mysterious event.

That town we all simply know as "BATHURST" the mountain, well! MT PANORAMA of course, the event well! its had many names over the years depending on the sponsorship but simply it's the V8 Super Cars, 1000 kms of high speed action of thrills and spills as the drivers and teams battle it out for that glory crown.

But will any of them ever top "THE KING" I doubt it.

Hard to believe its been 10 yrs since we lost "THE KING" of MT MOUNTAIN.

a few bits from the past

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Intriguing....you had me guessing.

Are you there with the earplugs? I went once many years ago, in the dark ages, as a friend was racing a Mini Cooper and my overriding impression is of noise, noise and the strong smell of the fuel and burning rubber.

But then......

:car: :doh: :frusty:

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Me too @Dobbie , I remember Beer, Chicks, Motorbikes and a lot of noise, can't recall any cars though just a lot of noise may have missed the racing, did I mention the chicks ????? and the beer KB of course.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Ahhhh....memories!

I recall winning a bet that we couldn't, or wouldn't, take one of those old iron bed frames and set it up near the pits and sleep in it. No tent, just the old bed frame. I've got a picture of it somewhere though I haven't seen it for years.

Anyway, we won the bet!

The other memory, following Drover's tale of taking an old Holden along the beach, was my first visit to Noosa Northshore and I missed the track to the third cutting, went down onto the beach and had a hell of a time getting back on to solid ground. All late at night in an old BMW with auto transmission. It didn't like the sand at all.

Enough recollections for today!

:amen:

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Intriguing....you had me guessing.

Are you there with the earplugs? I went once many years ago, in the dark ages, as a friend was racing a Mini Cooper and my overriding impression is of noise, noise and the strong smell of the fuel and burning rubber.

But then......

:car: :doh: :frusty:

No, not there but will be watching the start at work tomorrow, and the finish at home

Reactions: bigcol

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Well once again it was a great race after one of the most sedate starts without a safety car for the first half of the race. And it was a huge win for one of our own in @Smergen who lives and breathes team Tekno and his brother is one of the crew!!!! A great drive by Will and Jonno and another meltdown by Wincup but I was happy with the Holden 1 2 3 !!! It never disappoints does it.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Well done all. Sore loser here as the first year I have actually wanted a brand to win and we got close (bought an XR6 turbo few months ago) thought it be nice for the Marque and the workers? Ford this year Holden next?

But as much as Iam no whincup fan that result was crap. What's next reverse and over taking sensors that block the throttle when a cars too close? He was fastest all day he paid the Volvo back as per the rules and then all the crap went down. Tander couldn't pass another car on an 8 lane hwy and not hit them if he didn't try and advantage that postion it wouldn't have happened.

I think of all those years Brock, Johnson , moffat, grice. Close racing so little touches ?

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Bugger didnt see much our power been out most of the day and still is now dont have 12 volt cable for van tv or id be out in there i will have to get one for next time just sitting in lounge room by candel light i feel like im in SA
Will there be an influx of babies in 9 months not in this house thanks to the doc

G Daddy

Dec 6, 2015
Toowoomba
But as much as Iam no whincup fan that result was crap[/QUOTE]
Whincup should have been given a 10 sec pit lane stop as he caused the crash . But because he is the Superstar of V8 supercar racing {advertising} he gets a let off.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I remember someone from the morning getting a 10 second penalty for not having their limiter on in pit lane
something about the motor was not on - but the limiter should have been..........?????

I dunno

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
what happened??
Heading for a good and close finish an incident happened with 11 laps to go resulting in the actual winner coming in at 11th place.

"Four-time champion Whincup crossed the line first but he had already been hit with a 15 second post-race penalty for a controversial incident with 11 laps left, relegating him to 11th on the timesheets."

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
so they gave it to him "after" the race - or "before" the race finished.......................

if they gave it to him after the race - then I can understand why he is whinning

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Gave it to him before the finish so he new he had to get the pedal to the metal and get far enough in front to get the podium!!

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Whincup should have been given a 10 sec pit lane stop as he caused the crash . But because he is the Superstar of V8 supercar racing {advertising} he gets a let off.

But the rules allow for redress and that's what he did, what's the point in having rules if you are not going to apply or allow them to stand. The rest happened afterwards so do the rules take that into account?