Chassis thickness of floor

brian wenham

Sep 3, 2014
encounter bay sa
i have to make a repair to our floor as it has a crack going across the floor , looks like a fault in ply ,i have been told to scew and glue a new piece of ply under the van over the damaged part of floor.my question is how thick is the floor ply in the van, we have a 2012 model 16.49-1 jayco expanda onroad, so i can work out what size screws to use that wont penetrate the floor into the interior of van as in the middle of floor between fridge and wardrobe . thankyou in advance.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Is this a crack or just the join as the floor isn't one big sheet ???? It isn't very thick no more than 10mm screws into it.

Reactions: brian wenham

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
The floor does tend to split. It's the lowest quality ply I have ever seen. My guess is 12mm @brian wenham .

The other thing I would do is sand back the ply really well and then get a really good quality wood glue. Like a urea glue and bond the two then screw up. The bond will do the work, the screws are purely to hold together while setting.

brian wenham

Sep 3, 2014
encounter bay sa
thanks everyone i have fixed today ,found out they use 12mm,rang jayco.used epiglue which is supposed to be really good as used in boat building. the ply definitely had a fault through it.had split at least half way across floor. fingers crossed it works well.dont know wether it would still be covered as a warranty job as van is now 2 years old macca . anyway i probably did better job then they would lol.