Interior Thetford fridge hard to ignite FYI .

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
The Thetford fridge has been getting harder to ignite from cold on gas over the past 12 mths. So when I got the van serviced with other warranty work I put it down. Ofcourse they found no issue, and when questioned they proceeded to ignite it 3 times in front of me. So knowing that it wasn't hard to ignite once it had been run I gave up banging my head against the wall and resigned to sorting the problem out my self or waiting a month and taking it back and demanding they show me how to ignite it this time!

So a month later no go , so I spoke with Bob from the thetford repair agents and he told me straight away. Said the igniter tip builds up carbon and they won't fire! Said that the thetfords burn at a much higher rate than the dometics and they carbon up this tip. Remedy is to remove the metal cover behind the grill and tap the igniter ever so gently and the carbon will fall off and your good to go! Wow does Jayco service know this? He just shakes his head and smiles!

So thinking that's straightforward ? Till I see that Jayco haven't put the vent in a postion to access the said metal cover ! So with double jointed fingers and angle drive sockets and tonnes of swearing you can get the cover off. Then a quick tap with a bit of bent wire I made up and your good. I used my inspection scope to check the igniter wasn't hollow or anything blocked but no it's just solid. The. Reassembled and presto fired third or fourth go.

So if yours gets hard to start remember this. I'd say Jayco service know they just couldn't be arsed because it's mongrel job?

Not many pics because access is hard and it's not condusive to you being in good humour.

Your not touching or disconnecting anything LPG so you just need to be practical. But don't do it if you aren't confident.

Cover in question to the right.
image.jpeg

Close up with cover removed igniter is behind that large curved pipe in the centre.

image.jpeg

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
while I have not had this problem as yet (hopefully never)

it has gone into the memory banks, as I have been asked heaps of times about trying to light the fridge, and why it wont

thank you @achjimmy

Reactions: dagree