Just Browsing Thetford fridge, check your installation & flue!

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
When we bought the Expanda the wiring behind the Dometic fridge was um pretty ordinary, I fixed it up.

This time around I don't know why I didn't check behind the thetford, maybe cause it was a rush. I just never gave it a thought.

It was very hot the other day and everybody had been opening the fridge, the temp had risen. I decided to have a look at the top vent, thinking of planing a fan mod. The top vent on the thetford is much smaller than the dometics used and the fridge is now on the non awning side which makes its life that bit harder.

Not sure the photos will do it justice? But what I saw didn't impress, a unterminated 12v wire laying across the evaporator. 240v wire and bunch of others touching on a sharp edge and the hot flue. The flue unsecured so it just spins around and doesn't vent outside but into the cavity! All a recipe for a disaster IMO.

Tied up the mess with the ever reliable cable ties and will address the flue when home. Obviously warranty but don't know I'll trust it to anybody yet, rather it done right.

Anyway pop the vent off (it's just two clips) and check it's all okay.

On the bright side I don't need to bother looking for a 12v takeoff for a fan.:peace:

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
It is scary some of the :censored: they do. I don't mean to sound horrible but I hope it doesn't take someone's life for the, to get their act together with this sort of thing.

Maybe it would be worthwhile bringing it to someone's attention (not in Jayco) who could do something about it! I am sure the electrical governing body may be intested. Likewise for gas.

BJ.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Your right BJ. You can see in the second photo where the flue has spun around 90 deg and been touching the back off the fridge. So that's the flue pumping the fumes into the fridge cavity, relying purely on Jayco's ability to seal the cabinet adequately !

Reactions: yabbietol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
They have absolutely no QC at all, thankfully the 240 is plug and play so they don't need an electrician and the certificates of compliance, electrical and gas are a joke. Just have to read some of the things on here plus the wiring on my rig was just BS. I don't think I would trust warranty repairs either.

Reactions: yabbietol

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
They have absolutely no QC at all, thankfully the 240 is plug and play so they don't need an electrician and the certificates of compliance, electrical and gas are a joke. Just have to read some of the things on here plus the wiring on my rig was just BS. I don't think I would trust warranty repairs either.
That's kind of what I was eluding to. I think it needs to be brought to attention that dodgy and lazy work can kill and would hate for it to get to that point. We love our van and so far have really found now issues... We must have a good one. But from what I have seen, they do need to pick up their act before someone is hurt or worse.

BJ.

Reactions: 17triton and Drover

jvp

Apr 9, 2013
Yorke Peninsula Copper coast SA
Hi All
Factory installation could always be better, cables run in hot spots.etc. I bought mine 2nd hand some time ago. The gas copper pipe feeding the fridge, covered with black plastic tubing, was melted to the top ( hottest exit point ) of the furnace. They got away with it I guess? Just!!!!!!

Reactions: Drover

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
The fridge installation in our old Expanda looked nothing like it should have, especially in relation to the surrounding insulation.
This is why, despite the fact that the fridge was rated "tropical", it struggled on 30+ days.
The fridge in the new Concept, is installed as per the manufacturers details, has the same "tropical" rating and works a treat.
Jayco can be a really good product, but they need to lift there game in relation to quality. If it all comes down to dollars and cents to do a neat quality job on the installs including the plumbing and electrical,it might add an additional 8 man hrs to the manufacture time which couldn't equate to much more than $500.
Money well spent to ensure that they gain a reputation of quality.