18' Series Thetford C260 Toilet question

facemir

May 7, 2017
Gold Coast, Australia
First trip away in new caravan (18-58.2 CL O.B.) and first caravan with a toilet. It's a Thetford C260 model. Can anybody tell me where the flushing water comes from. Is it from one of the two water tanks under the caravan or is it from mains water (if connected).
I was wanting to empty my water tanks that the dealer filled at pre delivery but was wondering if one of these supplies the toilet flush water.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The Thetford 250 and 260 draw their water from the main van tanks or mains water if connected, you do need your water pump on for it to work off the tanks, it will draw from whichever tank you have turned on.....If you don't have a manual go to caravansplus website and download one as it will be invaluable in the future....................no drama emptying your tanks you just won't have any flush until you fill one back up or plug in a hose......

Reactions: KECL

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The Thetford 250 and 260 draw their water from the main van tanks or mains water if connected, you do need your water pump on for it to work off the tanks, it will draw from whichever tank you have turned on.....If you don't have a manual go to caravansplus website and download one as it will be invaluable in the future....................no drama emptying your tanks you just won't have any flush until you fill one back up or plug in a hose......
No worky on the mains, only on tank water. The toilet requires the 12v pump to operate and is direct connected to the water pump so the independant or Drifter pump switch isnt requried to be on to use the toilet (for very good reason). If you have no water in the tanks you'll have no toilet water regardless of main pressure. The toilet draws tank water through the vans usual tank plumbing, so either or both tanks.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well not in all set ups , Big Mal works off mains as well as the tanks, must be another Jayco plumbing special hook up...........might also depend on who hooked up the plumbing, we have found some strange set ups over time.

facemir

May 7, 2017
Gold Coast, Australia
I have gone ahead and emptied BOTH front and back tanks. But kept the mains water connected. So far I still have flushing on the toilet. I can still hear the 12 volt pump turning on when I flush. So it's either grabbing the very last bit at the bottom of the tanks, or using the pump in combination with the mains waters. I will update this thread in another week.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Curiouser and curiouser @Drover. I was most definitely told at handover that no tank water no toliet regardless of mains connection, so always keep some water in the tanks. But that said they mislead me with other stuff. Easiest thing is to get it from the horses mouth, Thetford. Curiouser and curiouser and curiouser. Thetford said yes, the toilet will run off mains pressure, but even with empty water tanks the pump will still turn on theres no getting round that. The flush button opens the solenoid. But we then throw in the "Jayco factor". Thetford Toilet Professor said whilst the toilet 'can' run off mains, is can easier be plumbed not to so now, who knows.

I plan on testing it all out in real world conditions, in your toilet, after a big night at the Bombay Curry House

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Curiouser and curiouser @Drover. I was most definitely told at handover that no tank water no toliet regardless of mains connection, so always keep some water in the tanks. But that said they mislead me with other stuff. Easiest thing is to get it from the horses mouth, Thetford. Curiouser and curiouser and curiouser. Thetford said yes, the toilet will run off mains pressure, but even with empty water tanks the pump will still turn on theres no getting round that. The flush button opens the solenoid. But we then throw in the "Jayco factor". Thetford Toilet Professor said whilst the toilet 'can' run off mains, is can easier be plumbed not to so now, who knows.

I plan on testing it all out in real world conditions, in your toilet, after a big night at the Bombay Curry House
Mine only draws from the tanks, no connection from mains for the toilet.

Reactions: Crusty181

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I know mine does because I found out what happens when you remove the restrictor in the line and push the flush, blamo water comes out like a fire hose, lucky it was just testing or could have been nasty, restrictor quickly put back in line................So the answwer to the question is MAYBE , MAYBE Not..........I would say to test it out, no mains see if it flush from onboard tanks, disconnect water pump hook up mains and see if it flushes, an answer should then be able to be formulated...............if only works on an tanks I would be doing a Mod to the plumbing, oh add a restictor to the line to cut the pressure.....Mine just has a bit of plastic with about a 3mm hole which is stuffed in the normal 13mm water line, cuts the pressure/volume so you don't launch the bowl contents into the next van.

Reactions: KECL