17' Series Therm Water Heater for Heating Van

Duncanblake36

Nov 17, 2016
Doreen
Hi Guys,
Apparently these are the next best thing.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SWIFT-E...MOTOR-HOMES-/123057633854?hash=item1ca6ce7a3e
therm-heater.png

I like these better than the diesel heaters but not sure on how good they are. Anyone have one?

Cheers

Smash

Apr 23, 2013
Perth WA

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Simply enough idea , just your car heater system. I like the simplicity but given we shut our hws off when free camping to save gas it’d be useless.

Crossy

Dec 3, 2017
Canberra
Really like the look of this system, no separate fuel supply. Was looking at the truma gas heater but if this system can produce enough heat from just heating the water system a bit more should be more efficient. I would have to install as close to water heater as possible, in my case there is a drawer in the space under the seat where the HWS is. I do leave the HWS on overnight so water is hot in morning, gas use is minimal anyway if free camping.
Think I'll get one and install anyway at the price, no need to get a gas fitter in either to certify etc. planning a 4 wee trip in August so will post any results if I fit in time.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Was talking to a fella the other week with one or similar anyway he reckons great when in a park but free camping the HWS is burning a heap of gas and the burner is going a fair bit when really cold.

Reactions: Duncanblake36

Smash

Apr 23, 2013
Perth WA

Duncanblake36

Nov 17, 2016
Doreen
Last night I ended up buying one off eBay with the 10% off sale. The diesel heater I’m not that keen - I have no real spot to put the tank. This seems to be simple and generates heat. Just need enough to take the chill out of the van at night and early morning. Easter this year was great. Perfect weather. Didn’t really need one at all. Last year froze. And the baby froze which meant we were awake all night.

I think it should work ok. My gas bottles last for 9 days (or 18 for the both of them) when we off grid.

The van is out the front of our house so may have to do some front yard camping with the kids to test it out.

I’ll let everyone know how it goes.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I think if one runs there HWS all the time it’ll be great. Keep the van a cozy temp . It won’t fire up like a diesel or gas and bring the temp up in minutes but that shouldn’t matter.

Really pending usage even if it uses 5 extra bottles of gas a year for the next 5 years it’ll still be a huge saving in cost over a dedicated heater!

Duncanblake36

Nov 17, 2016
Doreen
We'll in arrived today. It looks very simple but I like simple - Less things to go wrong. Will install under the kitchen seat next to the hot water unit.

Honestly its a radiator with a fan where the water is pumped using a external pump which is controlled by a thermostat. It says it will use about 45w of power to run the pump and fan so about 3.5amps per hour which is pretty good I think.

I'll take some photos during the install and test it out when its all up and running and post my findings.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
We'll in arrived today. It looks very simple but I like simple - Less things to go wrong. Will install under the kitchen seat next to the hot water unit.

Honestly its a radiator with a fan where the water is pumped using a external pump which is controlled by a thermostat. It says it will use about 45w of power to run the pump and fan so about 3.5amps per hour which is pretty good I think.

I'll take some photos during the install and test it out when its all up and running and post my findings.
Is it integrated with the HWS contents, so if you empty your water tanks the heater stops working? In the summer you would need to able to isolate the radiator from the HWS with a gate valve or something similar to stop it from working against the aircon in summer. Even without the fan the unit itself would still get hot, wouldnt it.

Im kinda thinking at first glance it looks great idea on paper, because domestic hydronic heating is certainly terrific but the more I think about it Im seeing some limitations with caravan usage. 10 hours of overnight use at 3.5amps would equate to at least a 150w panel in perfect full sun conditions just to fund the heater alone.

Per @achjimmy we dont use the HWS off the grid, plus we already have a Eberspacher, so its not appropriate for us but Im still very interested in how you find it. In caravan parks where power isnt a consideration hydronic heating would be much more comfortable than the reverse cycle aircon if it produces enough heat.

Reactions: Drover

Duncanblake36

Nov 17, 2016
Doreen
The reverse cycle is not the best on heat i’ve found it does work but it takes a while for it to get warm and are loud (especially over night). We normally take a panel heater but again - just another thing to get in the road. I bought the kit that has gate valves and check valve. From what I can tell the water only circulates if the pump is working so it stays cold when the pump is not on. The pump is a 800l/h pump and I’ve tested the sounds and it is very quiet. Our van has 210ah (2x105ah batteries) and 400w (150 + 250) of fixed roof solar and 160w follow the sun portable. Plus I have the ability to charge the van from the hilux. I’m keen on how it works and how good it will be. I’ll let you know how I go.

Reactions: Delano

Duncanblake36

Nov 17, 2016
Doreen
My mistake. Its says 29w for both the fan and pump on the unit. Added it up wrong. I took the total of the unit then added the pump. Sat in the van for 2 hours tonight scratching my head. Have a plan now. Just need 5 90 degree elbows for the pipe and I should be all good.

Duncanblake36

Nov 17, 2016
Doreen
So all installed. It pumps out 47.6 degrees of heat. I'll finish the install this week then post all the details. It works well to keep the chill off overnight. I need to work on a draft stop from the door. You can feel the cold air come in. We normally use cardboard to block it off but want to come up with something better.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I once fitted a flap of matching vinyl seat covering, double sided taped to above the vent, when we wanted it open just flip up and close wire door onto it.

Reactions: Delano and WHHEMI

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
So all installed. It pumps out 47.6 degrees of heat. I'll finish the install this week then post all the details. It works well to keep the chill off overnight. I need to work on a draft stop from the door. You can feel the cold air come in. We normally use cardboard to block it off but want to come up with something better.
Piece of egg shell foam closes nicely between the inner and outer doors over the vent, we used it for dust and it stops draft. Cut to the right height it sits neatly on the lip of the door frame so you dont have to hold it in place whilst trying to close the doors together