The What Did You Do On The Weekend Thread!!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Nearly the weekend for others, me I'm going to finish repositioning the Projecta charger from the stupid spot they fitted it in Big Mal, so it will all tie together with the new battery set up and if lucky will wire up the fan for inside the fridge, thats been sitting on the bench for about 5 mths unless I go to the beach.................Made 2 insulated battery posts today, wanted something to run the cables from the batteries to from which all the other stuff would connect to eg: solar reg, van power charger etc..............nothing local and a 100km round trip, Nah !!!!! so with some 25mm poly end caps a couple of brass studs, I now have what I wanted, lashed out about $6..............................do a scribble up on Big mals thread when it's all done............................have to blame @mikerezny, @Boots in Action and @DaveR for getting me swinging into Mod Mode.......

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Good to see that you have been "goaded" into action. The guilt of not doing all those jobs you have been putting off to another time have finally got to you. Don't worry, I am just as guilty. "Might" get around to adding more details into my profile.....might!
Just be careful connecting all those wires together as one wrong move and there could be a "flash" that I might see down here in Brisbane. Love to hear from you after you have finished installing your fan. When working you will wonder why you did not do it before. It is called MOTIVATION. You certainly have been busy on the forum this week!! I am going to take a few days rest in the Connondale Ranges next week myself, so you won't have to put up with me for a while. Cheers

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
IMG_5258.JPG
IMG_5254.JPG
Last weekend I got invited away by my cousin with the Geelong 4x4 up at Moonambel near Avoca. Some great 4x4ing up there and was great going with someone that will tackle the harder tracks, ones that I or vehicle are willing to do. Most cars were GU patrols with big lifts and 37" mud tyres. The Moonambel Rec Reserve would be a great place for a Vic meeting. $10 per night per car. New facilities with a hall with kitchen that's able to hire. Plenty of firewood around for some @17triton fires. Lots of great wineries around too. I also picked up a Crashpad swag for the trip, what a great piece of kit.
IMG_5257.JPG

IMG_5261.PNG
IMG_5260.JPG

Last edited:

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
as planned, we spent the long weekend at Cowwarr Weir. What a beautiful spot. We had the place to ourselves on Friday and Saturday night, with two vans arriving to stay on Sunday night.

Great autumn weather. 18C on Sunday. But overcast on Monday morning. Overnight temperatures were 3.2C, 2.0C and 6.9C.

One highlight was the flame or scarlet robins.

Here are some pics from the trip, including one of our 12th damper cooked on the chippy.

IMG_4500.JPG

IMG_4497.JPG

IMG_4506.JPG

IMG_4492.JPG

IMG_4498.JPG

cheers
Mike

Last edited:

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Hi,
as planned, we spent the long weekend at Cowwarr Weir. What a beautiful spot. We had the place to ourselves on Friday and Saturday night, with two vans arriving to stay on Sunday night.

Great autumn weather. 18C on Sunday. But overcast on Monday morning. Overnight temperatures were 3.2C, 2.0C and 6.9C.

cheers
Mike

So what did you do for heating overnight?

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
Had 3 nights at Riverglade Caravan Park, Tumut.
Love this place!

Attachments

• Tumut4.jpg
    Tumut4.jpg
    616.4 KB · Views: 213
  • Tumut3.jpg
    Tumut3.jpg
    884.1 KB · Views: 219
  • Tumut5.jpg
    Tumut5.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 191
  • Tumut.jpg
    Tumut.jpg
    892.7 KB · Views: 212
  • Tumut1.jpg
    Tumut1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 207
  • Tumut2.jpg
    Tumut2.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 192
  • Tumut6.jpg
    Tumut6.jpg
    461.8 KB · Views: 203
  • Tumut7.jpg
    Tumut7.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 191

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
great pics @Turtle love the Kelpie had a red and tan before. now a black and tan again
We have not taken ours as she likes to say hello to every dog, kid ok anyone and anything.
We keep thinking do a quick trip with her then leave her with doggy friends at our friends place or inlaws.

Reactions: bigcol

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Spent saturday at work but sunday spent trying to finnish my pizza oven smoker it has 3 chambers bottom fire middle for cooking meat veg and pizzas top for smoking not quite finnished have to fit the lid and a flue but tested it outside as its going in the shed ive made a fire proof area for it its comming along nicely few things left to do grind slits in bottom door to let fire breathe theres a pic of where its going in shed .....pait it all again and the door latches and hinges fit flue and pock hole in shed roof for flue mmmmmmm cooking with fire and smoke i have slits cut out of steel plates for smoke to go through bottom plate 8mm top plate 5 mm it all works well so far 20170618_155930.jpg 20170618_155936.jpg 20170618_162548.jpg 20170618_132835.jpg 20170618_132825.jpg 20170618_132813.jpg

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Spent saturday at work but sunday spent trying to finnish my pizza oven smoker it has 3 chambers bottom fire middle for cooking meat veg and pizzas top for smoking not quite finnished have to fit the lid and a flue but tested it outside as its going in the shed ive made a fire proof area for it its comming along nicely few things left to do grind slits in bottom door to let fire breathe theres a pic of where its going in shed .....pait it all again and the door latches and hinges fit flue and pock hole in shed roof for flue mmmmmmm cooking with fire and smoke i have slits cut out of steel plates for smoke to go through bottom plate 8mm top plate 5 mm it all works well so far View attachment 49890 View attachment 49891 View attachment 49892 View attachment 49893 View attachment 49894 View attachment 49895
Holy crap @Bluey, looks magnificent. Youve pulled it off, and your work of art, your pizza shrine, is finished. I thought it was like the International Space Station, a lavish project destined to never be completed. Well done that man, kudos to you bro. So ..... the big question; surely youve inserted a sneaky test pizza ?????

Reactions: bigcol and Bluey

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Yes @Crusty181 i did the misses quickly did a garlic and cheese i had it warming up for about 1hr ..... very hot it was but with not having the lid on properly the top of pizza was slower to cook than bottom after 5 mins bottom was little bit over done top needed bit more ..... so many test pizzas will be used i think with lid on and a proper flue trapping more heat and pizzas on a tray for first half of cooking it should all work out..... but i was getting big bubbles in the pizza like wood fired ones...... heat for the top is the key its my own design tyring to make a wood fired pizza oven on the cheap so far its about 100 bucks the plates where the most i know it will cook meat fantistic i need to make it cook pizzas as good which in time and testing it will
Mite have to lower top plate to trap more heat for the top of pizza ...... not a bad first test it tasted good but bottom was too hot so i need to learn how i should keep my fire going i think i dont need a lot to get a lot of heat im useing qurray tiles instead of pizza stones and there about 15mm so a bit of heating up needed bit thicker than pizza stones but 10 bucks for 6 tiles stay tuned 20170618_171237.jpg

Last edited:

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I forgot to say im useing a food grade drum it used to transport mango puree just any old drum is not good unless its never had chemicals in it you need to know its histroy and there are only 2 ribs on my drums some newer drums have many small ribs not good for sealing on the doors

Reactions: bigcol

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
Melbourne to Port Albert via Leongatha and return via Tarra Valley and Morwell.

Absolutely glorious weekend. Arrived at Port Albert midday Friday. The RV parking area was empty. Found a great spot three lengths long so we didn't have to unhitch. Great views out to sea.

The rumour that the Wharf has the best fish and chips is completely true.

Cold overnight. 0.3C in the Pengiuin, but still frozen outside.

Nice favourite breakfast bacon, egg, cheese, and mushroom muffins. All cooked on the cleanest BBQ you are ever likely to find.

Walked from Port Albert to Sea Bank and back.

Only supposed to stay for 24 hours, but since the place was empty, we thought it would be ok. No problems. Some locals said it would be ok when it is not busy. No chance over summer apparently.

Overnight was 11C, but very windy. Started having doubts about going up the narrow winding road to Morwell via Tarra Valley.
Decided to give it a go. It was narrow, it was winding, and there was debris all over the road, but no oncoming traffic or trees down.

Had doubts again when further on when a large caravan was taking a break. Asked if they had come down. No, they went up as far as the caravan parks but saw a sign saying unsuitable for caravans or vehicles over 8m. Although the park owner told them vans travelled up there all the time, they baulked, concerned about insurance coverage if something happened on a road they were not supposed to be on.

Decided to take the chance anyway. One of those times when a small Penguin has some advantages over its larger cousins! Some tight bends, but nothing dangerous, and plenty of places to pass oncoming traffic. Fortunately only one oncoming car.

Tarra Bulga parks are really worth visiting. Lunch and two walks, one down to the suspension bridge.

Rained all the way home. But cleared just in time for us to back in, unhitch and decant.

Two weeks now to plan our next trip!

I have included some pics, hope you enjoy them.

cheers
Mike
IMG_4536.JPG
IMG_4535.JPG
IMG_4531.JPG
IMG_4539.JPG
IMG_4540.JPG

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi @mikerezny , looks like you had a great time and still have a sense of adventure venturing into places where other dare not go!! Just got back from the Connondale Ranges and the weather was absolutely ideal. Cold (for us Queenslanders - Coldest for 2 years in fact) at 3.1C INSIDE van. But days were perfect, with temps getting to 20C by 10.30am and reaching 26 to 28C about 1.00pm. Not a cloud in the sky for the whole 5 days and no breeze (that's why so cold in morning!) . Visited Tara/ Bulga Parks when I was down in Victoria 1968 to 1978. Very pretty area and vegetation like the ferns well worth while visiting and taking time for walks. Don't remember the suspension bridge, but then that was 30 or 40 years ago!!!
Absolutely perfect weather in Connondales for testing panels and MPPT controller. Getting data together at the moment to place on this forum. Some real surprises for you to think about I can assure you. Even got a shot or two of our setup and camping area too. Cheers

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
well this weekend had it ups and downs.
Friday morning, loaded up and headed off about 9am on our way to Toorongo Falls, a little over 100kms away.

Stopped an Noojee and walked along the rail trail to the Noojee Trestle Bridge. We cannot believe they could build this in a couple of years. Lovely path, steps on both sides of the bridge to walk down to look around the bottom of the bridge. There is a car park there if one doesn't want to walk in from Noojee. The return walk from Noojee takes about an hour.

Then 10km further on to reach the Toorongo Falls camping area. It was really slippery, with not too many flat spots. But after looking around we settled for a reasonable spot near the toilet. Was very reluctant to drive down hill to the lower spots. Drove in, off the entrance track barely 5m. Just before getting out, I decided I should make sure I can reverse out. Absolutely no way. You would be hard presses to even see the slight downhill that we couldn't get back up.

Oh well, had a quick look, and decided to go right, cut across the side of the slight hill and get back onto the entrance tracks.
Bad, bad, bad, move. The cut around went ok, but as soon as I turned slightly uphill, the car completely slid sideways. Ended up with the car pointing uphill and the van still along the hill. Oh sh***#$%%$#t. Worse still. I was having trouble holding the car with just the rear wheel brakes.

Got out had a longer look, and the sh***#$%%$#t turned to that well known bird call that got Graham Kennedy into trouble. One might call it greasy, but it was even worse.. You couldn't even walk on this surface without slipping. We managed to chock everything and disconnect the van. Even with three people pushing, we couldn't move the car uphill. Eventually, after a lot of careful pushing and pulling we managed to get the van clear of the rear of the car so I could get the car down the hill onto another access track. Even then, it was so slippery, that as soon as you hit the brakes, the car would just keep sliding. Got to the bottom. The access tracks have had stone on them so traction was ok and I was able to get the car back to the top again.

After a couple of attempts to see-saw the van up to a slightly better position, we gave up. That was probably my best decision of the entire experience. So, into the car, headed for Noojee, to see if we could get someone to tow us out. Then my partner reminded me that we had signed up for RACV total care roadside assistance. Hmm, I wonder if they covered our situation. Nothing harm trying. No mobile reception, so I drove to Noojee, and the man at the Post Office kindly phoned the RACV 1800 number. Sure we were covered, double checked all the details, short time on hold, then, "No problems, there will be someone on site within the hour".
Fantastic! Guy turned up in 50 minutes after coming all the way from Warragul. 4WD with huge mud tyres. Backed down the incline, hooked up, and idled back up with not a hint of slip. Any salesman around at that time with a decent offer would have had my money!
Love, Love, Love RACV Roadside assist. Member for life I expect

So we got the van put onto a part of the gravel access road and tried to return to normal mode. Took a couple of hours to settle down. Then several more running through all the ways I should have done things differently. As someone said when we got home, the Penguin has just lost its virginity!

Saturday started off more sanely. Just heaps of rain overnight. Now the ground id so slippery that I slipped A over T just walking on a flat surface. Then off to do the one hour walk around the two falls. Magnificent! Heaps of water flow and a great walking path.

We weren't the only ones to get into trouble. Late Friday night a 2WD HiLux with a camper trailer went down the bottom, started slipping and ended up jammed against the fence, couldn't move in any direction. They turned the trailer around, set it up, and decided to worry about it the next day. Took a 4WD with mud tyres to get the car and trailer out. Then two of us spent most of Sat afternoon pushing people out, stopping them driving anywhere off the tracks. Then the highlight was two girls in a car who got bogged twice in 5 minutes. Even after advising them to stay on the gravel tracks after getting them off the muddy hill, the drove up to the toilets and parked on the grass!

Next bit of interest was a 4WD with towing a largish Jayco Stirling. Straight off the road and down to the lower part. No problems, then they decided to turn around, took a few minutes of slipping and sliding before someone got out and set the locking hubs. Wow! did that make a difference.

Then another camper, with a covered bike trailer converted into a neat camping trailer, towed by a late model Falcon. Got into the site ok, but no way they were getting back out without help. Oh well, they said, we will worry about how to get out when we leave on Monday morning.

Late Saturday, one of the campers informed us that bad weather with wind, rain, and possibly snow was coming early Sunday. That was it. We decided to make dinner, (porterhouse steaks, green-peppercorn sauce, all done in the cast iron pan on the chippy) and head for home. Didn't want to play at Toorongo falls anymore this weekend.

Here are some pictures. No, I didn't take any of us getting bogged or pulled out. I won't need pictures to remind me of how silly I can be. In hindsight, I should probably have stayed where I first got bogged, waited for a couple of people to help push. I am pretty sure we would easily have got out. Yes, I let my back tyres down, but without a gauge, just counted 15s. But it made no difference and I didn't want to let them down any further. We borrowed a compressor, and I had put them down from 42 to 30psi.

cheers
Mike

IMG_4541.JPG
IMG_4547.JPG