Solar The Solar Panel Thread

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I have noticed there has been a lot of discussion about Solar Panels lately.

I thought I'd start a thread about anything to do with Solar Panels from any good deals you have found to the installation of your own panels whether fixed or portable.

This thread could also include your experiences with your Solar Panel set up and any advice you may have regarding Solar Panels and or Solar Regulators.

hornet

Apr 9, 2012
Evening all , just got myself 2 x 135 solar panels, hoping to mount them on the front half of the roof ( 16/49/3) mounting part all sorted , but not really sure how to get wiring from panels into
Van , one idea was going up through front interior light then through roof somehow then to reg mounted near rcd, any info appreciated

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Hi Hornet here is a couple of pics of what I did
Through the Roof IMG_0525.JPG

Down the wall in the pocketIMG_0523.jpg

Through the over head cupboardIMG_0515.JPG

and into the cupboard above the HWS IMG_0520.JPG

Capt. Gadget

Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Thanks capt, looks good , plenty of sealant round that junction box hey.

Yeah I started a thread "I could get a job at Jayco" because of the mess I made with 3 ton of silicone :laugh: looked just like a factory install! had it out in the last bit of rain and no leaks so happy days
Cheers Grant

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Yeah I started a thread "I could get a job at Jayco" because of the mess I made with 3 ton of silicone :laugh: looked just like a factory install! had it out in the last bit of rain and no leaks so happy days
Cheers Grant

No leaks?
Can't work at Jayco then :)
(just joking)

Reactions: Racer

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Moto Mech,

Do these thin panels need some air gap under them to help them stay cool so they operate more efficiently?

I was told by the supplier that they can be either screwed on by the eyelets in each corner or by glueing straight to a surface, no mention to a air gap. I will email him and double check as Ive been asked this before. They would be ok on my vans roof as its not a flat surface. Stay tuned.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Horses for courses I suspect. Flexible panels are made be surface mounted. My rigid ones have nearly 2cm gap on long sides, but I've seen many fully enclosed frames as well.

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
I was told by the supplier that they can be either screwed on by the eyelets in each corner or by glueing straight to a surface, no mention to a air gap. I will email him and double check as Ive been asked this before. They would be ok on my vans roof as its not a flat surface. Stay tuned.

Manafacturer and supplier both stated that no air gap is required for these panels.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
First kit I've seen that appears to be complete. Gaptain Gadget can probably put you onto a good source of silicon. You can never use enough!:nono:

Capt. Gadget

Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
I am currently considering fitting solar to the Expanda and I was wondering what everyones opinion is on this kit?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160W-Sol.../200820760092?pt=AU_Solar&hash=item2ec1d99e1c

Looks good Cruza couldnt see any specs on the regulator just make sure it doesn't put out more than 14.8v as thats what the setec unit states as the max to be connected to the battery
and a bargain too my 200w panel system cost me around $740 buying the bits individually

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Looks good Cruza couldnt see any specs on the regulator just make sure it doesn't put out more than 14.8v as thats what the setec unit states as the max to be connected to the battery

Thanks CG, its your thread that has made me think its about time I did something about solar

Here is the link to the reg that comes with the solar deal does it look ok? I think it should be?
If not what one suits?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20A-12V-.../170881214818?pt=AU_Solar&hash=item27c9506962

SOLAR REG.PNG

Capt. Gadget

Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Looks good Cruza should do the trick, I should get the chance to try mine out in the 1st week of the school holidays we are camping where there is power available but I'm going to see how it goes just running off the 12v