Solar The Solar Panel Thread

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I have noticed there has been a lot of discussion about Solar Panels lately.

I thought I'd start a thread about anything to do with Solar Panels from any good deals you have found to the installation of your own panels whether fixed or portable.

This thread could also include your experiences with your Solar Panel set up and any advice you may have regarding Solar Panels and or Solar Regulators.

Apr 9, 2012
Evening all , just got myself 2 x 135 solar panels, hoping to mount them on the front half of the roof ( 16/49/3) mounting part all sorted , but not really sure how to get wiring from panels into
Van , one idea was going up through front interior light then through roof somehow then to reg mounted near rcd, any info appreciated

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Moto Mech,

Do these thin panels need some air gap under them to help them stay cool so they operate more efficiently?
I was told by the supplier that they can be either screwed on by the eyelets in each corner or by glueing straight to a surface, no mention to a air gap. I will email him and double check as Ive been asked this before. They would be ok on my vans roof as its not a flat surface. Stay tuned.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Horses for courses I suspect. Flexible panels are made be surface mounted. My rigid ones have nearly 2cm gap on long sides, but I've seen many fully enclosed frames as well.

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
I was told by the supplier that they can be either screwed on by the eyelets in each corner or by glueing straight to a surface, no mention to a air gap. I will email him and double check as Ive been asked this before. They would be ok on my vans roof as its not a flat surface. Stay tuned.
Manafacturer and supplier both stated that no air gap is required for these panels.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Sunny Northam W.A.
www.facebook.com
I am currently considering fitting solar to the Expanda and I was wondering what everyones opinion is on this kit?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160W-Sol.../200820760092?pt=AU_Solar&hash=item2ec1d99e1c
Looks good Cruza couldnt see any specs on the regulator just make sure it doesn't put out more than 14.8v as thats what the setec unit states as the max to be connected to the battery
and a bargain too my 200w panel system cost me around $740 buying the bits individually

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Looks good Cruza couldnt see any specs on the regulator just make sure it doesn't put out more than 14.8v as thats what the setec unit states as the max to be connected to the battery
Thanks CG, its your thread that has made me think its about time I did something about solar

Here is the link to the reg that comes with the solar deal does it look ok? I think it should be?
If not what one suits?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20A-12V-.../170881214818?pt=AU_Solar&hash=item27c9506962

SOLAR REG.PNG