The new tug.

Dandy

Jan 18, 2014
Once you get the Ultra Gauge connected and set up for Trans temp you will not do the "set and forget" method the temp will go through the roof going up even the smallest incline in S5 if it shifts down, quickest way to kill a auto trans is towing and letting it get too hot.
I would rather take a few seconds changing gear than replacing a Auto in a cruiser that has got too hot too often and Mr Toyota saying "Sorry no warranty on that did you read the manual where it states S4 for towing"

I had auto trans gauge in the last car with the auto lock up and know what you mean. If that made you nervous don't get an EGT gauge !!!

Dandy

Jan 18, 2014
Update: in preparation for our trip to Uluru had a couple of jobs done on the car...

First: Wholesale Automatics valve body upgrade and torque converter lock up. We had this done on the Nissan and want to give the 200 the best chance to tow well. The valve body has tightened up the changes and it feels more positive. Combined with the lock up kit it should give us engine braking and economy with no loss of efficiency through a slipping torque converter.

Second: Soot clean and oil catch can. This included oil and filter change. We got a schmick looking HPD Billet catch can. The guy from Ultimate Diesel Performance in Dandenong stuck it on the dyno and reckons it should pull pretty well. I also got him to check the fuel filter at the same time and found it was filthy. Considering that the car is new to me I'm happy to get some feedback that it's in good nick and should be ready for a long trip towing.

This will be the first trip so I really won't know if I have improved the towing ability or economy. I'm interested in comparing with others out there.

Dandy

Jan 18, 2014
So 5000 k's later we have made our 2 week round trip to Uluru.... the Sahara was awesome. The moment when I couldn't stop smiling was on the way back through Adelaide when we just climbed the long hill at the speed limit overtaking semis and other vans like they were standing still. The lock up kit is great I can sit on 110 in 5th at 2000 rpm for hours. I experimented with S6 and found with the valve body upgrade it would grab 6th on the downhills dropping down to 1600 rpm. However the manual says to use 5th. I also had a big variation in economy ranging from 18 l/100 to 24 l/100 I found the main difference was headwinds and cross winds. The section through Cooper Pedy was the worst with strong headwinds for hours on end. I deliberately made no adjustment and set the cruise at 110. I could have driven for economy but went with the theory that the time with the kids in the back was worth the extra fuel. No discernible oil use. So to put I bluntly I'm very happy.