The new tug.

Dandy

Jan 18, 2014
image.jpeg
When your wife says we should get a new (more reliable) car before our next trip. You don't wait till she changes her mind! The Nissan is gone. The new (to us) tug is a Toyota 200 series Sahara. So now the process starts again. First the tow pro then the catch can.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Due to recent events Mrs D is making the same sounds, something similar would be nice.

Reactions: bigcol

Dandy

Jan 18, 2014
Nice rig @Dandy . Now strike while the iron is hot and get a van with an ensuite to make all those females even more happier. You'll never go back again.

Oh, you'll update your sign off too. Cheers Pace.

I think the budget will be tied up with the Sahara.... Anyway..They were the ones that didn't want a toilet inside the van.

Dandy

Jan 18, 2014
Had the tow pro fitted yesterday. Love the look of it. Apparently in the auto mode it is self calibrating and will adjust itself on the fly. Now just have to test it with the van

Reactions: Frog and bigcol

Lap Dog

Jan 13, 2017
Currently on the big Lap
I am envious ... we have a Discovery 3 which is a great tow car but with a full size 20' Expanda ... that's a CVM of nearly 6.5t ... which really tests a 2.7 litre motor (as good as it is).

Driving north out of Woomera sitting on 95kmph into a 40kmph headwind a full size van started closing up on us pretty rapidly. I said to my wife ... I bet it's a Landcruiser. Just then my EGTs spiked and had to slow to 80kmph so the rig could get some semblance of composure back and whoosh goes the 200 series looking far to effortless into that wind. Yes I am jealous ... great donk!

Dandy

Jan 18, 2014
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
So... we finally got to test the Sahara with the Towpro towing the expanda. Loving it! Makes the old Teckonsha look very primitive! I was a bit concerned that we may need a drop down hitch for the Sahara because it looked a little higher than the old one, but once it was all hooked up it all sits pretty even to my eye. It certainly felt very stable and smooth under brakes. I just put the dial on 5 and it worked beautifully.

Really happy with the tug... Compared to the patrol it's a huge difference. It pulls like a train! I will experiment with using D and S4/5/6 when towing. Some of the forums recommend this for economy and to keep the auto cool. Would be interested in hearing about others experiences towing with an LC200 what gear do you use? I did a short run up the freeway with cruise and that seemed to be OK. Overall... feeling like we made a good choice to upgrade. The big test will come when we head to Uluru in September School holidays.

Reactions: MAC03 and davemc

Dandy

Jan 18, 2014
Reactions: Drover and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Oh for a Lotto win that does look so nice........................................mate has a Sahara and it's so damn nice to drive he also has a 76 for camping and I am yet to get a drive in it, with the exle moved back and widened its a schmiko rig..................

Discovery has a 6.7t GCM thats amzazing and very handy.

Reactions: Dandy and bigcol

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
Put ours in s5, set the cruise and forget it. Had this discussion at the Dalwalinnu pub in WA on our last trip and the local Toyota mechanic chimed in about people overthinking the issue. He sat on my side of things, the auto changes gears at about the right revs when on cruise as most people do on manual shifting when towing. He also reckons catch cans are a waste on a cruiser, reason being the filters and their sensors come early enough that you can around 400-500kms before you really need to change them. So double filtering really wasn't needed. Just his take on the issues being discussed which I tend to agree with.

Reactions: Dandy

Dandy

Jan 18, 2014
Put ours in s5, set the cruise and forget it. Had this discussion at the Dalwalinnu pub in WA on our last trip and the local Toyota mechanic chimed in about people overthinking the issue. He sat on my side of things, the auto changes gears at about the right revs when on cruise as most people do on manual shifting when towing. He also reckons catch cans are a waste on a cruiser, reason being the filters and their sensors come early enough that you can around 400-500kms before you really need to change them. So double filtering really wasn't needed. Just his take on the issues being discussed which I tend to agree with.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. Do you ever bother with manual shifting? We put the valve body upgrade in our Nissan and it worked really well given the auto had to work really hard. I'm thinking about getting one with a lock up for the Sahara although the auto in the Lc200 doesn't seem to struggle at all. I'll get a better picture with a ATF gauge (Also good for 4x4 driving on descents)

Did your mate venture an opinion on the EGR subject? The couple of mechanics I have spoken to have talked about carbon/soot build up through the EGR system. My local guy keeps a photo album on the counter showing how restricted they can get. As a former Nissan grenade victim I'm taking it seriously! The theory goes that all modern common rail diesels have the same basic issue to some degree with the either an (illegal) block off and/or a catch can to stop fine oil drops cycling back into the inlet. The motor feels good but I'm hoping it will breathe alittle easier with a soot clean.

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
Never manual shift, why when tge auto does at similar revs.

As for EGR, no opinion one way or the other.

Personally I think there are too many opinions based on old facts and not much current proof. Call me a cynical engineer if you must.....

Reactions: bigcol and Dandy

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Once you get the Ultra Gauge connected and set up for Trans temp you will not do the "set and forget" method the temp will go through the roof going up even the smallest incline in S5 if it shifts down, quickest way to kill a auto trans is towing and letting it get too hot.
I would rather take a few seconds changing gear than replacing a Auto in a cruiser that has got too hot too often and Mr Toyota saying "Sorry no warranty on that did you read the manual where it states S4 for towing"

Reactions: Dandy and bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
interesting pondering's

my Cruiser is V8 Petrol 5sp auto
when I have used it to tow, I used 4th not D

mind you, the way I drive it (like I stole it) fuel economy has never entered my brain

Reactions: Dandy and G Daddy