The Marshian's New Home - 19ft New Age Gecko

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Well the planning for the big lap has resulted in us purchasing a new van, and despite giving Mr Jayco as much chance as possible to meet our needs/budgets/wants/prerequisites it seems we'll be leaving the fold and heading across into a new age of caravanning (see what I did there?)....

Walking around the show on the weekend, we came across the brand new 19ft Gecko layout unexpectedly and were mightily impressed. After a fair bit of too-ing and fro-ing, crunching numbers, a LOT of complimentary coffees, and even a return trip to the show on the Sunday we came to a deal and agreement.

Options/Key Features include:
  • Ibis 3 Aircon
  • Full length awning
  • Battery
  • 120W solar and regulator
  • Wineguard aerial
  • ESC
  • 12V sockets to all bunks
  • 2" raiser
  • Upgrade to 500kg payload
  • Upgraded rear bumper support (for bike rack/jerries etc)
  • External gas bayonet
  • Upgraded water tanks to 80L
  • External table
  • 2 year full warranty
  • 2 year nationwide roadside assist
  • Custom made loft style bed with cupboards underneath, and converting triple bunks to double with storage underneath
  • Decor pack
Undoubtedly there will be a few more things added between now and the build in June/July time but we were very keen to keep it to our initial budget for the time being.

Here's a couple of pics from the show, which gives an idea of the van layout, although the bed/bunk arrangement will be different obviously.

Hopefully I'll still be welcome... technically it still has a "expanda" style bed... :behindsofa:

IMG_3671.JPG IMG_3674.JPG IMG_3675.JPG IMG_3689.JPG IMG_3690.JPG IMG_3694.JPG

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
big congrats mate was just back in that van a few hours back taking pics :)
So what you putting a pull down bunk and cutting wardrobes down? thats a great idea.

Hope you got a great price mate..
a very different layout and lots of space.

Did you consider their wall mounted washing machine?

Reactions: Smergen

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
big congrats mate was just back in that van a few hours back taking pics :)
So what you putting a pull down bunk and cutting wardrobes down? thats a great idea.

Hope you got a great price mate..
a very different layout and lots of space.

Did you consider their wall mounted washing machine?

The loft style bed was an idea of Mrs Smergs to be honest. We actually thought the van had too much storage (didn't think it was possible) and she came up with the idea talking with the boss man about it. Mentioned it to a few others whilst standing in the van, and they're eyes opened up too. Perhaps we should have asked for commission??

As for the washing machine we decided not to. Don't think it warranted the cost and we figured we could transport one within the shower recess when required.

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
Wow I am impressed! Sounds awesome, congratulations on ordering your new van!! I must say, have been very impressed with the photo of the New Age triple bunk photos. Your options have you fully covered. Exciting times!

Reactions: Smergen and davemc

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Wow I am impressed! Sounds awesome, congratulations on ordering your new van!! I must say, have been very impressed with the photo of the New Age triple bunk photos. Your options have you fully covered. Exciting times!

Thanks @FiveInAVan, it was strange that all the family vans had a triple bunk set up at the show pretty much! Most of our van shopping experience showed double bunks, but perhaps the trend is changing? Very happy with our options and can't wait for the van.

Congratulations @Smergen, it looks a really great setup. We all look forward to making the comparisons between the old and new. :p

Thanks @chartrock. We're very happy (if you can't tell). I'll certainly post pics along the way. Looking forward doing a factory tour as well in the upcoming months.

Pauly

Aug 25, 2013
Congrats @Smergen , mighty fine choice!!!
We took a stroll through that yesterday and wowee that's a great layout. New age are really stepping up to the plate with fantastic layouts.
Ya gotta love it when they're happy to tweak it too!!

Reactions: Smergen

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Congratulations @Smergen - van looks great!

Thanks mate. Hope ours looks as good!

noice, very noice

I'd like to think it's a noice choice.

Lovely when your needs and their offerings meet!

Well done.

Very much so. We'd gone back and forth on a few vans over the last few months, as we juggled what we wanted vs what we could compromise on. Nice to have one that had most of the former and few of the latter.

Well Done @Smergen ... Now the wait (and shopping) begins :)

OH and you will still have an "expanda" ;)

Awesome... so I can stay? We really like the expanda bed solutions, they add so much more potential space into a van. I understand they aren't for everyone but I enjoy them and gives a pseudo sense of camping "outside".

Flasher than a rat with a gold tooth @Smergen . Congratulations

I don't know... a rat with a gold tooth is pretty flash. Now some of their big vans down the rear of the lot that had 6 numbers in them... now they were flash.

Congrats @Smergen , mighty fine choice!!!
We took a stroll through that yesterday and wowee that's a great layout. New age are really stepping up to the plate with fantastic layouts.
Ya gotta love it when they're happy to tweak it too!!

It certainly was popular when we were hanging around the van. A few people overhead us discussing the loft bed solution and they really took interest. It was their ability to work with us on a solution to suit our needs that really won us over. More of a customer, less of a barcode.

Congrats on your new purchase @Smergen! Looks great. Good list of options.
Cheers
Nick

Thanks Nick.

Reactions: dagree

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Just curious as to what the loft bed will replace.

Trying to visualise where it will be in comparison with the expanda type setup.

Sounds like a solution but not sure of the mechanics. I'm slow!