The Marshian's New Home - 19ft New Age Gecko

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Just curious as to what the loft bed will replace.

Trying to visualise where it will be in comparison with the expanda type setup.

Sounds like a solution but not sure of the mechanics. I'm slow!

In the photo below you'll notice floor to ceiling robes. On that side they will be replaced with a bunk bed at the same height as the top bunk level for double bunks, with robes being installed in the space underneath. So double bunks one side, and a single bed with robes underneath on the other. Make sense, or have I just murkied the water?

IMG_3674.JPG

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Now it makes sense! Thanks.

I was somehow visualising ...or trying to....a double bed dropping down somehow. We were looking at a Conquest ages ago and noticed a bed powered by 12v which dropped down over the table. Interesting idea for that and a space saver but wondered how reliable it would be.

I like your idea much more....and it makes sense. You won't lose much storage and won't have to put one child into boarding school early.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Now it makes sense! Thanks.

I was somehow visualising ...or trying to....a double bed dropping down somehow. We were looking at a Conquest ages ago and noticed a bed powered by 12v which dropped down over the table. Interesting idea for that and a space saver but wondered how reliable it would be.

I like your idea much more....and it makes sense. You won't lose much storage and won't have to put one child into boarding school early.

We've never liked the triple bunks, they're just a little too squishy I reckon and pretty much means we need to change vans as the kids grow. So coming up with that solution was a real winner for us. In the end I don't believe we'll have lost hardly any storage as the cupboards under the beds will be far deeper than the robes, so the effective volume similar. It might make it a little more cramped towards the front but really shouldn't make that much difference.

Oh that's very schmick, doesn't look like you will have any mods to do, more time for fishing....

Already planning mods... Draw on the front tunnel, tool box for the draw bar, jerry can/bike rack holder for the rear... not to mention plenty of basket/draw solutions inside too.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Well done it looks fantastic .
What type of suspension has it got ? Wheel size etc

HD leaf springs rolling on 15". Couldn't warrant the extra cost for the Cruisemaster suspension. More than happy with how our current van tows on a similar set up so fine by me. Nice, simple and reliable.

maybe easier to put a box on the front with it done. So bottles in front. I hear you about bigger and bigger.

Maybe, but I'm not even sure it's an option. The box on the front I plan to have sitting under the bed anyhow so not much would change there.

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
Thanks @FiveInAVan, it was strange that all the family vans had a triple bunk set up at the show pretty much! Most of our van shopping experience showed double bunks, but perhaps the trend is changing? Very happy with our options and can't wait for the van.

Stop, LOL, I haven't even got my van yet but you are giving me triple bunk envy already. We are converting the dining table in lieu of a triple bunk. Oh well. At least I get my van before yours :boink:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Triple would be good until they got bigger wouldn't they, I know my lot would have fighting about room they did in tents anyway.

Reactions: bigcol and Smergen

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Cant believe i missed this. Congrats @Smergen on successfully wading through the murky new van market.

Great choice with the New Age .. and an Expanda to boot. When did they start that.

Everytime ive been to the shows and compared offerings, the New Age has consistently been my easy fav.

I generally pick the $hit out of the vans, and from a manufacturing POV, the New Age are a genuine cut above the rest. Youve made an awesome choice there fella.

Whats all the weights.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Cant believe i missed this. Congrats @Smergen on successfully wading through the murky new van market.

Great choice with the New Age .. and an Expanda to boot. When did they start that.

Everytime ive been to the shows and compared offerings, the New Age has consistently been my easy fav.

I generally pick the $hit out of the vans, and from a manufacturing POV, the New Age are a genuine cut above the rest. Youve made an awesome choice there fella.

Whats all the weights.

Thanks mate, they've done the expanda style bed for a couple of years in their Glider range I believe. The van we looked at was the first of the Gecko range, and I believe searching for it in google, actually bring up this thread... that's how new it is. It's still not on their website.

I agree with manufacturing POV also. I just sincerely hope the van we get delivered is of the same quality as the one presented at the show. I could hardly find a burred screw, or misaligned door or crappy piece of joinery anywhere. The pipes and drains underneath were aligned correctly and neatly such that I doubt I'd even want to muck around with them.

As for the weights, the one at the show had: Tare:2080, GTM: 2360, ATM: 2480, Axle Rating: 2750kg

So once we add in a few of our options I suggest the tare weight should come in around the 2200kg. With the upgraded carrying capacity, that puts us near the 2700kg ATM I really wanted to limit us to. Still deciding if we'll option a large wheel or tyre at final design but I'll ask them a few more questions on that at that stage.

Really, we can't wait...

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
So the bed option will be a bit like the Starcraft 17.58.1 only much better! I like it. Great idea, agree the triple bunk often leaves a bit to be desired with the bottom bunk looking way too cosy to be comfortable for anyone over 5yrs old. You've done well. Should be a great van to spend extended time in. I just got a call to sign off on our orange confirmation. Red in 7-10 days. Hello production line! Do you have a delivery date estimate on the van yet @Smergen ?

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
So the bed option will be a bit like the Starcraft 17.58.1 only much better! I like it. Great idea, agree the triple bunk often leaves a bit to be desired with the bottom bunk looking way too cosy to be comfortable for anyone over 5yrs old. You've done well. Should be a great van to spend extended time in. I just got a call to sign off on our orange confirmation. Red in 7-10 days. Hello production line! Do you have a delivery date estimate on the van yet @Smergen ?

Hmm... not sure comparing to the 17.58.1 is the best analogy... but I see where you're coming from. The Gecko is considerably longer, so I would like to think there is a few more layout options. I really like the 58.1 but for us it didn't have an ensuite and that's something I didn't think we'd become so attached to, but we have. Was a non-negotiable, predominantly for the dunny rather than the shower, as it makes managing the kids a lot easier.

I really hope the bunk set up turns out how I have it pictured as I think it will be a real win if it does. A much better use of space and storage.

In regards to delivery date, not yet. Will call them this week for an idea/update. I wonder if they are still sorting through all the sales from the show? Looked like there were quite a few going down.

Bet you can't wait for yours either. Saw one at the show (making sure it wasn't @17triton's) and it's a great van. One to many kids in our case...

Last edited:

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Gecko update:

Signed off on colour schemes and a few other options last week. After never having really done the 'decor' or 'colour scheme' thing in our lives, Mrs Smergs and I learnt a little more about our differences and what we like! :)

In the end, basically went with what was shown in the show van. We "ummed and ahhed" quite a lot about bit and pieces but in the end we thought the white would provide the most light, give impression of space and is more adaptable than the darker shade. It was also chosen because we were familiar with it and would know what to expect. Only thing we changed was upgrading the floor cover to a hardwearing tweed style which was seen in the upmarket vans.

We also upgraded a few of our options to include:
  • 16" wheels
  • extended draw bar
  • Additional 12V point near fridge
Hopefully design sign off will happen in the next week or so, and we remain on schedule for a July build. Really can't wait!

Also, if anyone is interested, the 19ft Gecko, along with the 16ft single axle version from the show, are sitting down in the yard at Caravans on Cooper for inspection. Well at least they were when we were there last week.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Cool mate did you take some more happy snaps July not long now

A couple but none of great quality. It was dark and overcast. Did notice one thing though, which I'm looking forward to. Having all the fuses and switches for pump and HWS and the like up and out of the way in a cupboard instead of hanging off the side of a panel where "idle little fingers" can play with them...