Discovery The Disco Is Here

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
I couldn't help myself sorry it looked lonely in here...

And no its not the disco with flashy lights or even the car but the JAYCO DISCOVERY 17.55.5SH has landed!!!!

Not picking it up till November so it doesn't sit in the yard waiting and wasting rego / insurance but it is now at the dealer built and ready to rock and roll.

I will going for an inspection and photo shoot on Wednesday.

Yay first post in the Jayco Discovery Forum :).....:thumb:

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Very Exciting!
I'm suprised the dealer is happy to store it for so long. Did you buy in Sydney?
Can't wait for the pics on Wednesday

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Great news Expanda, I'll be interested to see some inside photo's :photo:

So are you picking it up early or not till November? I couldn't wait:bolt:

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Very Exciting!
I'm suprised the dealer is happy to store it for so long. Did you buy in Sydney?
Can't wait for the pics on Wednesday

Ahh don't think the dealer is happy but I am stuck between a rock and a hard place and they are doing there best to keep a third time buyer happy.... :)

Great news Expanda, I'll be interested to see some inside photo's :photo:

So are you picking it up early or not till November? I couldn't wait:bolt:

Nah not till November, it came alot earlier thank I expected to be honest!

So does that mean a name change

Nope no way, two expandas down and onto the Disco the Expandas will always be close to my heart!

Such patience. I don't know how you can wait so long. Look forward to the pix.

No patience trust me!!!! It's the third one and I haven't had a van since mid last year so I am chomping at the bit to get out there and explore...

So Expanda is now "Disco 1" from hence more. Hope all goes well.

Hehehehehe nope still Epxanda :) first two where expandas so I am still an expanda lover at hear just don't tell the boss as I am banned from all future caravan shows :)!

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
3.jpg

DSC00489.jpg

DSC00487.jpg
DSC00442.jpg

DSC00440.jpg

DSC00439.jpg

DSC00438.jpg

DSC00437.jpg

DSC00436.jpg

DSC00434.jpg

DSC00432.jpg
DSC00430.jpg
DSC00426.jpg
DSC00428.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
DSC00490.jpg

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hey Expanda,

Looks great, thanks for the sneak peak....I don't think I could leave it there all alone till November!

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
WOW plenty of storage space!!

I really like the layout, and nice interior colours too.

I noticed it doesn't have a rear bar though, is there provisions for one?

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Its actually got more usable storage then the 17.56.2 we had.....

Yep the provision is there for the rear bumper, for some reason when you add the bike rack they delete the bumper I figure its so it doesn't hit it.

Its a very nice van, no setup virtually so will make trips on the road much easier....

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
Thanks for the pictures. We are currently at the Marion Holiday Village in Adelaide. I have seen a couple of these vans. They look very nice. One other thing I like about them is the sound insulation. There doesn't seem to be much sound escaping which would transfer to not much outside noise intruding in.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Oh no, don't show me those photos. I have had my eye on this model for some time.

It looks great mate, love the layout and colours! Perfect for life on the road.

You are a very patient man:smile:

PS make sure they mount the number plate well clear of the bike rack. No bike rack numbers plates allowed in NSW on caravans.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Well we picked up the new Discovery on Friday.

Its been a long wait considering the van was built in July she has sat comfortably at the dealers storage yard for a fair few months. Thanks to Jayco Sydney for storing it for us until we where ready a great dealership with friendly people.

So Friday we took the kids and headed of to Jayco Sydney after the notorieties where done we did a very brief walk through (done it to many times to care now :) ), hitched up and headed home.

The van is absolutely outstanding in layout, I honestly cannot believe more people with families don't snap these vans up.

I was talking to the dealer and he said he had a demo for a month or two and no one was interested.

So what do we love about the van -

1) Storage, as @MrsExpanda put it the van is the gift that keeps on giving as we just keep finding more and more storage its quite astounding how many places there is to put stuff. In the 17.56.2 and 16.49.2 the van was literally bursting at the seems and even overnighters at rest stops where a challenge as things where often all over the floor as we had run out of room. In the Discovery 17.55.5 SH everything and I mean everything has a place for it to go and the van would otherwise appear empty. This is for us the number one best part of the van and I am still able to store stuff away even thought we have everything with us.

2) The layout, its fantastic and alot larger than I what I had expected. We have a dividing curtain that separates us from the kiddies and there bunks are converted into the lounge each morning so you would be forgiven for thinking they slept outside. The shower / toilet is easily accessible and has enough room. We can have the kids sitting at the table and us both cooking without any dramas. But the seperation of beds / cooking etc is very well thought out.

3) The bench tops seem to be higher than the expanda as I don't get a sore back washing dishes / cooking

So that is just a few things we are loving about the van I am sure @MrsExpanda will come along and add her two cents.

Shake Down Trip Report

Know onto the shakedown trip, we are not one to do things by halves :) so directly after picking up the van we headed home and stuffed the van with all our goodies (kids included) and the same day 3pm headed of for sunny QLD for a bit R&R but we where going to do it over a few days like follows -

Sydney > Coopernook State Forest > Darlington Beach > Lismore > Tweed Heads

All went well we collected the van @ 11am, the van was packed by 3pm and we hit the road by 3.30 pm and arrived at Coopernook at 8.30 at night.

A fire was on order so within a few minutes we had this

523832_4319369854700_131955667_n.jpg

Coopernook is a lovely little state park just of the highway only about 5 km's dirt road in and is completely free and complete with pallets for burning :). There where a few campers here and everyone was very friendly!

This was the next morning hitched up ready to go -

DSC00490.jpg

So we headed off to Darlington to beach, absolutely love this van park the sites are all angled vs straight so you get much more room per site. There is roos everywhere, the beach is fairly close and it feels like you are deep in a forest somewhere due to the amount of tree growth. The pool was a hit with the kids as well having a water slide but it is a little small. There is also a BMX track which the kids will be coming back for and the best part of it was there is a car washing bay to remove the countless bugs we had on the car :)!! -

DSC00500.jpgDSC00502.jpgDSC00509.jpgDSC00510.jpg

So next day we headed off to Lismore for the Lismore markets and after traversing the Summerland way and a few goat tracks we arrived at Lismore to find out the markets are not on today.... Apparently they are every 1st and 3rd sunday each month except in December where it is only the 1st Sunday in December not the 3rd great :) so we decided we would head up to the tweed a little early but really had no choice.

Know this is where things get interesting :) as we where heading up banagalow road if you know it its a goat track in some places and the car was not happy. Surging from 2400 - 2700 RPM and loosing power I was getting concerned so pulled over and got onto the NRMA. Luckily we had the van as it was blistering hot so we escaped to the safety of the van for a game of dominos and a cold drink whilst we waited for the patrol man.

He took one look at the car and said "Hmm, high pressure diesel and your a premium member Ill get you a tow truck :)" know this is the best bit and for all you travellers out there we had premium care NRMA so as we are more than 100k's from home we get a range of benefits which included a tow to our destination for the van and car as well as us. The patrolman ordered the dual cab hino and within two hours we where back on the road again but just a little different towing configuration.

Waiting, Waiting, Waiting patiently for Mr Patrolman...

DSC00530.jpg

So the truck arrives (P.s I like big trucks so lots of pics will ensue)....

DSC00537.jpg

First the pathy gets a ride -

DSC00544.jpg

But wait what about the Disco it looks lonely back there??

No worries we can hook her on to!!!

I gotta get me one of these Hinos I am bypassing a BT-50 for one of these next they are an absolute tank!!!

DSC00557.jpgDSC00553.jpg

Ohhh and by the way we where in Clunes so @MrsExpanda took the time for some happy snaps....

DSC00532.jpgDSC00525.jpgDSC00520.jpgDSC00527.jpg

So the nice tow truck driver dropped the car and van in the caravan park on our site and the NRMA considering it was Sunday would tow the car to our preferred repairer on Monday morning to get the car looked at.

So we are now in Tweed Heads and car is being repaired so we can get up the highway to visit some members and take the kids to the theme parks for some vomit inducing fun.

A special thanks to @chartrock for the phone calls and offer of help much appreciated mate its good to know there are such lovely people out there so kudos to you and MrsChartrock for such a kind offer and jumping on the horn. Kudos to you!!!!

And thanks to everyone else who offered help and advice much appreciated!!!

Will post some more pictures later of the interior once we get a bit more settled but its still much the same as before :)!!!

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Your van sounds really nice expanda, look forward to inside pics. Bummer about the pathy but great service with nrma, hope your sorted soon! Did you forget to pack your sullage hose? I noticed in your pics alot of water on your slab. Great effort to pick up, pack and take off the same day!

Cheers.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Hey Burnsy, no I was washing the van :)

After I disconnected the pipes just before we left after seeing so many bugs on it only a day after pickup I had to scrub it down and I had the hose there anyway so what the hell :)!!!!

The kids thought I was crazy so I gave up after that side and left the real washing for later!!

And yes NRMA premium care is a must for anyone travelling, one phone call and it was all sorted which is such a relief to be able to stay to the family its all fine we will be outta here soon.

Internal shots are here -

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/showthread.php/1449-The-Disco-Is-Here?p=15270&viewfull=1#post15270

Will get some more shortly but :)!

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Great news its all getting sorted out mate. It will be a maiden trip that you will never forget. I really do like this layout too I may get to check one out in the flesh oneday.

Have a safe trip and a great Xmas too and keep us posted of your trip as some of us are stuck working :smile: