The best all round Caravan Insurance Policy

CoastlineCruzer

Apr 25, 2012
Hi All,
I'm new to the site and love what I see.
My question is, What is the best all round insurance policy for my expanda?
I'm currently insured with AAMI and I'm in Sydney.
I thought maybe someone had a better or cheaper option.
Also has anyone had any good or bad experiences with different insurers.

Cheers
CoastlineCruzer

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
CIL seems to be the industry standard but I found NRMA quite good.

It helped because I had multiple policies but overall the deal was better with NRMA for me.

If I didn't have multiple policies I would have gone with CIL.

Some things to check when on your hunt -

1) If its a new van, do they offer new for new replacement for 3 years if its written off

2) What value of automatic cover is your contents covered for

3) How much extra contents cover do you need if any

4) Do you use an annex and if so what does the insurer cover if something is stolen from the annex or the annex is damaged?

5) What is the excess?

Just some things I look at when looking at my insurance policy.

Reactions: McKenzie

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
Also check their theft insurance. CIL don't appear to cover theft when you don't have 4 solid walls.
We are with Suncorp so are covered for everything. We pay just under $800 per year (including flood cover) but have 100% peace of mind

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
CIL for me also. I had AAMI for the Swan, but CIL gave a much better premium and (I think) inclusions. ($622)

I also got in writing from them " The policy will definitely cover theft from a Jayco Expanda, as the canvas forms part of the caravan. The exclusion applies more to soft walled annexes and camper trailers, where the whole tent is made of canvas. "

Reactions: Are We There Yet?

cancan

Sep 26, 2011
Manly; Brisbane
i use succor for our camper trailer but it is grouped with cars and house.
chasing insurance for a possible van purchase to live in during the week in Roma which is now a black spot for insurance because of the floods....succor are thinking about it, will try cil next

CoastlineCruzer

Apr 25, 2012
Thanks everone for your help. I will give CIL a call, sounds like they are the go.
It also pays not to just pay your renewal. I did an online quote with AAMI and it was about $50 cheaper than my renewal notice
with a $300 excess compared to a $500 excess on the renwal. Using the same details.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
NRMA for me, mainly for the multi policy discount like expanda mentioned.

Never made a claim, but happy enough with the premiums.

cancan

Sep 26, 2011
Manly; Brisbane
i always get quotes when its renewal time and then go back to my insurance company....some of them are more interested in new business than retaining existing

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
Hi GIO cover you for forced entry thru canvas walls and annex. We had our last van with them, so we went with them again. Didn't think they were too pricy seemed reasonable.
Regards Jenny

Klugerclan

Aug 31, 2011
CIL are very competitive, but (copied from their policy wording)

Contents:
What we do not cover
We will not pay for:
1) Theft or attempted theft from your caravan or your
annexe if:
a) it does not have hard walls, or

Expanda's do not have hard walls.........

If you want your contents covered for theft suggest look beyond CIL

ah197331

Jan 23, 2012
It also pays not to just pay your renewal. I did an online quote with AAMI and it was about $50 cheaper than my renewal notice
with a $300 excess compared to a $500 excess on the renwal. Using the same details.

Yes, I do that with all my AAMI renewals. It's been cheaper every time to get a new quote online, and let the old one lapse. AAMI even endorse that process!!

With AAMI's online caravan quotes, though, I'd do it a few times, as their price varies from one quote to the next. :noidea:Then just pick the cheapest one.

Reactions: McKenzie

solterb

Mar 10, 2012
Melbourne
I have CIL and nearly burnt down my camper. $6K bill and they covered it all no questions asked and chased up to make sure everything was ok? I will be sticking with them.

kimlouise

Jan 19, 2012
Mornington Peninsula, Victoria
I put a cover note on our new van with GIO (we have multiple policies with them) and then called CIL. They came in $150 cheaper and do cover theft from expandas ( I asked). Cover included $2000 for contents while GIO was only going to cover $500 for contents. It pays to call around.

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
With RACQ and have house and car with them. Multi policy discount brings it at $624 PA for the 56.2.
Cheers Deano

Feb 1, 2012
I read this thread last night and had decided to stay with NRMA given multi policy discounts etc. When I rang this morning to update my policy the quote I received was $400 more expansive then CIL.

When I queried this they claimed it was because we only had 40% no claim, etc, etc.

I then rang CIL back told to re quote given I was not sure if we had told them about the 40% NCB. They replied that's no dramas because you area new customer you receive max no claim.

So everything is comparable etc, etc, no guessing where my business went.

stormpatrol

Oct 26, 2011
newy/nsw
CIL are very competitive, but (copied from their policy wording)

Contents:
What we do not cover
We will not pay for:
1) Theft or attempted theft from your caravan or your
annexe if:
a) it does not have hard walls, or

Expanda's do not have hard walls.........

If you want your contents covered for theft suggest look beyond CIL

, I FIND THIS VERY FUNNY check out the cil advert it features an expanda ,, go figure,///we are also with cil