Toy Hauler The Basestation has finally landed

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Hi All,
After a couple of months of waiting, delighted to have collected our new Base Station. 21.66-6.
Didn't add much to the original equipment, other than under slung axle, corner drop down jacks, external gas point & privacy screen around the front bed. Standard equipment now includes the ALKO ESC and a whole heap of other features so didn't see the need to go crazy with the options list. Either don't need it, or can install myself and have full control over price, quality, etc.
TARE of 2552 and GTM of 2959kg so a fair bit heavier than our previous 2011 Swan!
Only had it home a few hours and already cut my first hole.....to install a stereo head unit and speakers. No doubt over the next few weeks and months, several other modifications shall take place, including adding a box to the front A frame to store the dirty stuff you don't want inside; Anderson plugs and heavier duty wiring for the fridge and battery; TV; additional storage unit to the rear section; various hooks and rails etc; shelves to the wardrobe......
Will post photos as the mods take place and no doubt ask a few questions along the way.
Paul

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 279
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    801.6 KB · Views: 306
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    866.1 KB · Views: 278

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Nice, but unfortunately too big for our yard :(

Question: Are they flood lights at top rear?

Suggestion: Keep lubricating those rear door hinges. One of ours seized up on a shaft running through the hinge points. Eventually, and with a fair amount of force, I have freed it up but shaft now rotates at point it didn't before and still seized at other point. Almost needs grease nipples on them. It was a worry as it happened just before setting off on our recent trip and we were concerned that it might happen again while away. About to work on a modification in case it does happen again so will post up some pictures etc soon.

Reactions: bigcol

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Congrats @pauljygrant looks awesome, and nicely matched up to a equally awesome tow vehicle. I thought the the Base Stations would be heavier than that, doesn't leave weight much for toys. I see you have your hands full with all the action in the background to

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Do they fit j-tech suspension to the base and toy haulers ?
I'd think the leave springs might take the heavies loads better than coils maybe

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Thanks for the kind comments, tips, and questions.
The lights are similar to awning lights but I am thinking about fitting flood lights to help reversing in the dark.
I think that the new J Tek suspension is available but we were already at the top of our budget. Under slung axles together with ESC will hopefully work fine. ( that's all I've got on the Navara).
Will keep an eye on the door hinge. Thankfully it will be kept in a dry shed when not in use.
Agree that we are in the middle of several building projects - the struggle will be to allocate free time between using the new camper and moving the house, extension, and landscaping on!