That darn Ranger!

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Getting used to seeing my Ranger on the back of a tilt tray at the moment. Blew a radiator hose a few months back, dropped all the engine oil prior to that.

This round started on Monday when we were bringing the Expanda back from the riverland. It was in the high 30s and there was a fair amount of traffic. As we approached the climb up Accomodation Hill, the first of the hills on the run to the Barossa, the temp started to rise a little, being a warm day and a fair amount of right pedal in use, I thought nothing of it. Then it went into limp mode, lost all power and made it to the top of the climb at walking pace. I stopped and checked, no coolant leaks. The last bit of the trip we found limp mode a few times again. Rang Ford on Tuesday, this is normal! Was taking the car in today for another minor issue, limp mode again! Stopped and let them come and get it. Turns out the fan hub has failed, meaning the fan is not spinning, limp mode is activated to prevent over heating. From ford "This is becoming very common with the 3.2".

Just something else to keep an eye on.

Reactions: skippy and blacky

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
I "upgraded" the oil in my fan hub on the hilux, it's a common cause of overheating in them as well.
$3 for oil from hobbyking compared to same oil from toyota for $40 .... guess which one i brought

Adam79

May 28, 2013
Brisbane
@crackacoldie.
Sounds familiar. Mine spends a fair amount of its life on a tilt tray also. lately has lost all power and fuel consumption gone from 12.6 to 18. Wont change back gears. Air con doesn't work. Idles like a Massy Ferguson tractor. To cut the long story after countless times back to dealer on a tow truck with faults and problems. It's booked into ford for a extended holiday to find exactly what happening.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Is it a Ford thing or Mazda/Ford thing? I know of the water hose bursting and the noisy transmission heat shield but not the fan one. I know they are same engines but Mazda has 10,000 km service intervals and Ford has 15,000. Does that make a difference or not?

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
At least while the're stopping it gives the Jeeps a break, seriously that is disappointing, I hope they find a resolution for you guys as it would really p1ss me off.

Reactions: Neil