TAS Tassie

Bonners

Jan 24, 2013
wollondilly nsw
Hi, we're thinking of going to Tassie at Xmas/Jan.
Has anyone got suggestions or recommendations for CPs or free camping spots
Cheers
Bonners

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
@Bonners

Are you taking a van over with you?
My parents and brother with his family want to head over Christmas next year.
I was on the website the other night to see how much to take our Hilux and van over would be and it was around $3500 return! Cannot justify that! That was even going by off peak periods as the web only went up to June next year.

BJ

Bonners

Jan 24, 2013
wollondilly nsw
@Bonners

I was on the website the other night to see how much to take our Hilux and van over would be and it was around $3500 return! Cannot justify that! That was even going by off peak periods as the web only went up to June next year.

BJ

@Bonners

BJ
Hey BJ,
(bugger Bulldogs just scored against Dragons)
yeah van towed with Terri, $620 car and van each way and we have 3 adults and one child, day tickets down, and same back but as it is a night trip ocean recliners, all up $2200.
Your price is way off.
cheers Bonners

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
@Bonners

BJ

Wow Bj I thought you'd made a typo with $3500 I just went through the booking process on the web site and nearly fell off me chair :minion_evil_run:

jacbaz

Feb 6, 2011
Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne
We're going in October/November for 2 weeks - taking the van (only 12 foot), towed by a Hilux and Porthole twin cabin there and back for $1528.00. Top this up with approx $450 of park accommodation and I don't think it's too bad a price. We're staying in caravan parks with power the whole way around (ensuite in Hobart!!!). Looking forward to it. We were meant to go last year but our son had a nasty work accident - we were able to change the Spirit of Tasmania and all the caravan parks with no cost to us - very happy with this (needed to use the caravan park credit within 12 months and we are one day short this time!!! If either of the kid-ults muck up at work this year they're on their own!!!!)

Reactions: Xpandafan

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
If you stay for a month or more, it starts to make more sense. My Pathie and Expanda goes 13m I think so taking the whole rig over is still on the bucket list. It's surprisingly easy to spend a month over there. Less than 3 weeks and you'll miss half of it. Work out how long you're going for and what you want to see and PM me.

Last time I was in Tassie a couple of years back now, we stayed at quite a few CP's (in cabins) (and a great B&B at Castle Forbes Bay). Ulverston is a great first stop and you can pre-arrange an early arrival from the ferry (Devonport is just half an hour away). There's a great free camp spot we found at Stanley and dozens of others. All main towns have CP's. It's all very RV friendly right around the State.

Summer will be peak season and it will be extremely busy. You'll really need to be booking soon.
Maybe check out the Think-Tasmania.com website for their best CP recommendations.

You'll also need to get a National Parks Pass (purchase on the ferry).

Reactions: Bonners

Bonners

Jan 24, 2013
wollondilly nsw
we are going for 3 weeks, van and car tow length 12 . 7 metres, with 4 paying passengers don't think its cheap but its ok.
good point about national parks pass

Last edited:

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Yes we worked on us and the 2 rug rats, so got a standard cabin (not shared for safety) and couldn't believe it. Just no way I could justify the cost. Will do it one day, but not for quite sometime.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Hey BJ,
(bugger Bulldogs just scored against Dragons)
yeah van towed with Terri, $620 car and van each way and we have 3 adults and one child, day tickets down, and same back but as it is a night trip ocean recliners, all up $2200.
Your price is way off.
cheers Bonners
Nope... Not off can't remember the exact period but that was the price.

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
So your coming down for a month?
What sort of things do you want to do? Offroad type camps or sticking to black top?
There are heaps of free camps all over the state but some require a lot of gravel road driving to get to them but have great beach side camps at the end.
Let me know what type of camping and Ill fill you in on good spots.

ragracing

Jan 30, 2012
Petrie Qld
Yes we worked on us and the 2 rug rats, so got a standard cabin (not shared for safety) and couldn't believe it. Just no way I could justify the cost. Will do it one day, but not for quite sometime.

We went last year just before new years for 3 weeks, took the Pajero and Expanda (Total Length 12m) 2 Adults 1 child and 1 infant, in a cabin both ways and the cost was $2150. Expensive but it was worth it.

@Bonners
We have just recently done 3 weeks in Tassie with our Camper Trailer. There were lots of great free camps, mostly suitable for vans or motor homes, not camper trailers. As a result, we didn't get to stay at a lot of them which is a shame.
I have a few tips for you though. In regards to the trip over. Don't take anything onboard you don't absolutely need. Leave everything in your car or van if you don't need it.
We went straight to the information centre at Devonport. They were so helpful, and even advised the best way to travel at that time. It was wet all down the west when we arrived so they advised to head east, and by the time we had got back around the weather was going to be good. You can get the National Park pass from here too.
First night we stayed at Narawntapu National Park. This was a great NP and I think it was only $12/night. Fires ok in designated spots. We definitely recommend Cosy Corner North over in the Bay of Fires. Free camp, great modern drop toilets and fires ok. Cosy Corner South looked ok too, but was full during a fishing comp.
Another free camp spot was near Freycinet National park not far off the main road near Coles Bay down a road called River Rocks Road (I can find the GPS co-ords for you if you like).
The other spot we highly recommend is Huon Valley Caravan Park (have a look for them on Facebook). Great grass camp grounds, ensuite type sites, and its a working farm and apple orchard. We seen platypus in the creek there aswell. Rowan and Leanne are their names. If you go there tell them we sent you (Nathan, Jodie and 3 kids from NSW, and our baby had a broken leg at the time). Their website is huonvalleycaravanpark.com.au
And one more spot, Quamby Corner. I forget the name of the town where it was near. That spot was really cheap. Free use of laundry (no coins needed), showers and fire pit. Really good spot, quite, in the country and a good base to visit the nearby Liffey Falls.

That's about all I can think of for now.

Sorry for the long winded post, but we absolutely loved touring around Tassie. This was on of the main reason we have decided to sell our CT and buy a van. We will be heading back over again one day.

Bonners

Jan 24, 2013
wollondilly nsw
@Bonners
We have just recently done 3 weeks in Tassie with our Camper Trailer. There were lots of great free camps, mostly suitable for vans or motor homes, not camper trailers. As a result, we didn't get to stay at a lot of them which is a shame.
I have a few tips for you though. In regards to the trip over. Don't take anything onboard you don't absolutely need. Leave everything in your car or van if you don't need it.
We went straight to the information centre at Devonport. They were so helpful, and even advised the best way to travel at that time. It was wet all down the west when we arrived so they advised to head east, and by the time we had got back around the weather was going to be good. You can get the National Park pass from here too.
First night we stayed at Narawntapu National Park. This was a great NP and I think it was only $12/night. Fires ok in designated spots. We definitely recommend Cosy Corner North over in the Bay of Fires. Free camp, great modern drop toilets and fires ok. Cosy Corner South looked ok too, but was full during a fishing comp.
Another free camp spot was near Freycinet National park not far off the main road near Coles Bay down a road called River Rocks Road (I can find the GPS co-ords for you if you like).
The other spot we highly recommend is Huon Valley Caravan Park (have a look for them on Facebook). Great grass camp grounds, ensuite type sites, and its a working farm and apple orchard. We seen platypus in the creek there aswell. Rowan and Leanne are their names. If you go there tell them we sent you (Nathan, Jodie and 3 kids from NSW, and our baby had a broken leg at the time). Their website is huonvalleycaravanpark.com.au
And one more spot, Quamby Corner. I forget the name of the town where it was near. That spot was really cheap. Free use of laundry (no coins needed), showers and fire pit. Really good spot, quite, in the country and a good base to visit the nearby Liffey Falls.

That's about all I can think of for now.

Sorry for the long winded post, but we absolutely loved touring around Tassie. This was on of the main reason we have decided to sell our CT and buy a van. We will be heading back over again one day.

Thx for that exterminator, will get out maps and check it all out. Good heads up about NP pass.
Cant get too excited, still four months away!

Megs

Nov 7, 2012
Tassie
There are some lovely free camping spots on the East Coast, including Cosy Corner as mentioned already. They can get very busy over the summer period so it is pot luck if you get a good spot. Worth it if you can though. I would recommend the book "The Guide to Free Camping in Tasmania", I think it's about $15 and it gives photos, maps, facilities, access etc.
As for caravan parks, we also love Huon Valley Caravan Park. The owners are very friendly and it's a great place for kids, they show you around, milk the cow, feed the pigs etc. We also like Port Arthur Caravan Park if you're heading down that way. A couple of minutes walk to a nice quiet swimming beach, private leafy sites, can walk to Port Arthur historic site if that interests you.
It's a shame the Spirit fares are quite pricey, puts a lot of people off coming to our beautiful state.