Tare weight

Cindydev

Sep 3, 2017
Rochedale
Hi we had a recent discussion at home about our 2015 model 17.56.1 expanda about Tare weight. Jayco site indicates tare weight is factory fitted how it is delivered except gas and water. Does that mean the fridge, air con, microwave, stereo, battery, beds etc? We are just unclear exactly what to weigh in our van and what's included. Thanks

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
Tare weight refers to the weight the van came out of the factory with everything on it including all the boxes of extras you ticked, I guess you could call it dry weight no liquids (gas or water).

Cindydev

Sep 3, 2017
Rochedale
Thank you Tone yeah just needed to confirm it was with all the extras on delivery. We have been working on what we have added only then conversations start about other things in the van

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi @Cindydev,
exactly as @Tone stated. BUT Tare weight will NOT include anything subsequently fitted by the dealer.

If you bought the van second-hand, you need to establish which extras were fitted by the factory (included in your Tare weight) and which were fitted subsequently either by the dealer prior to delivery or fitted by the previous owner. If this cannot be established, it might be advisable to take out all the items you have added, fit empty gas cylinder(s)***, drain all the water tanks and take the van to a weighbridge to check the van weight against the compliance plate. *** If getting empty gas cylinders is difficult, I would use a rough estimate of 10kg for an empty cylinder. So weigh the ones you have on the van, work out how much gas is in them and deduct it from the weighbridge weight to compare against the tare on the compliance plate.

I hope this helps.

cheers
Mike

Cindydev

Sep 3, 2017
Rochedale
The van was 3 mths old when we bought it and looking at what's in it we are pretty confident it came with it all from factory. The annex looks to be the only extra they added

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Since the weight on the pate is most often incorrect I would suggest you either go to a weigh bridge with an empty van ie: no liquids or better still do it with full gas and water,plates, cutlery etc, bedding, mats, screens all the stuff that normally lives in the van, that will give you a true baseline to work from..............and while your at it weigh your tug as well as this combined weight can change how you load everything......sometimes you can't load your van to near max cap as the whole rig will be over.................Tug GCM minus tug weight plus tow ball weight, whats left of the Tug GCM is how much your van can weigh for you to tow, you should never be right on the limit though...........................

Reactions: KECL and bigcol