14' Series Tails Lights (Always on with ignition)

Brad Hardwick

Oct 19, 2017
Vic
Hi,
I have just had a tow bar installed on a Jeep Grand Cherokee for a 2012 Jayco Expanda 14.44 (12 Pin Plug)
When plugging in the Van the tails lamp/side lamps on the van come on when the ignition is turned on. I have confirmed Pin 7 goes live when the ignition is turned on. My understanding is Pin 7 would normally be connected to the Parker lights not the ignition being turned on.
When turning the parkers on the Jeep on it does not turn the caravan tail lights on. (when the ignition is off)

Is this wiring correct or should Pin 7 be connected to the parker light control on the Tug.

Thanks Brad.

Reactions: Marv_mart

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Models have changed since my wonderfull days with my Jeeps but if not using the tow pack wiring harness I do know all sorts of things will happen as taping into a circuit won't work. The control module runs the lights and if the electric brakes are connected to the brake light switch it will throw things out as well. The module detects extra load and turning on a switch doesn't power up the circuit to lights it actually tells the control module to turn on/off lights etc so any extra lights will confuse the electronic brain.
But then it may just be something is stuffed, multi meter and check connections as some apprentice may have made an error.

Reactions: Hylux and bigcol

Brad Hardwick

Oct 19, 2017
Vic
Models have changed since my wonderfull days with my Jeeps but if not using the tow pack wiring harness I do know all sorts of things will happen as taping into a circuit won't work. The control module runs the lights and if the electric brakes are connected to the brake light switch it will throw things out as well. The module detects extra load and turning on a switch doesn't power up the circuit to lights it actually tells the control module to turn on/off lights etc so any extra lights will confuse the electronic brain.
But then it may just be something is stuffed, multi meter and check connections as some apprentice may have made an error.

My thinking is the Jeep is wired wrong. If the normal trailer plug behavior is for the tail/side lights on the van to be in sync with the Parker lights on a Tug this is what I would like to confirm.
I just wasn't sure what the behavior of these lights on a van is supposed to be and when they should come on.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Sounds to me l8ke something has been incorrectly wired either on the car side or the van side. Worth getting an auto electrician to check it out.

Reactions: bigcol

Brad Hardwick

Oct 19, 2017
Vic
Sounds to me l8ke something has been incorrectly wired either on the car side or the van side. Worth getting an auto electrician to check it out.

If the lights are incorrect then it is the car side. I have confirmed the behavior without a van connected. I am quite comfortable with doing all the testing etc myself I just didn't know what the correct behavior is.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
I have probably misunderstood something, but .....

Is there any reason to not contact the people who installed the towbar? Seems like after accepting your hard-earned to do the job, they would be responsible for fixing it.

cheers
Mike

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
@Brad Hardwick , the van lights should coincide with what your tugs lights are doing. If the wiring to the plug isn't coming live when the various tugs lights activate I would just check that the wiring harness from the plug runs to a big socket connection nearby, if the cables scatter and tap into individual wires then thats your problem and a harness is needed..........but testing the cables after checking they are connected to the right pins would be first on my list as well as a decent earth connection.
Sometimes it's easier to pull the whole thing down and start again than spending ages fault finding........I always think if the person that fitted something didn't get it right the first time and didn't test it, then I don't give them a second chance to stuff things even more.....