Sway Bars

Doogle

Mar 18, 2011
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi All,
Still (patiently) waiting for our Expanda 17.56-1 to be ready (hopefully late July/early August) and I've been reading up on a few things and came across the sway bar options.

We will be looking to get the Hayman Reese 550 WDH and have been reading about the sway bar options available....and the obvious benefits they give to counteract a swaying van (assuming the load in the van isn't the problem).

How many people here run with a sway bar and do you use the friction sway bar or the dual cam bars....and WHY?

I would be interested to hear any and all comments/thoughts on these :)

Cheers,
Dave

Reactions: Bmhdg76

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hey there, I have towed a 16.49.2 with an R50 pathfinder and a 17.56.2 with a Pajero and never felt the need for the anti sway setup.

There have been a few moments where that thought had gone off in the back of mind "What if I had anti sway" but for the most part have never needed it.

I find more than anything ensuring your rig is, level with a fair spread of load it handles much better and does not sway at all.

For me I will not use the anti sway and I am happy with my Hayman 550 weight distribution setup.

Wado

May 7, 2011
New England
G'day all, we are moving up from a Swan Outback later this year to the 17.56.2 OB. Pulling the Swan with our NS Pajero, I have never required ant-sway bars or a WDH. This gives rise to a thought - will I need a WDH for the new Expanda, and will I have to"lift" the spare on the Pajero to clear the standard tow hitch n the Expanda? Can anyone advise their experience with this rig combination?

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
My thoughts mirror Expanda's. I use the 550 WDH & can't say I have ever wished I had the anti-sway setup. I certainly would not be without the WDH as it does keep the van level.

Good luck with the hunt and welcome to the forum.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
G'day all, we are moving up from a Swan Outback later this year to the 17.56.2 OB. Pulling the Swan with our NS Pajero, I have never required ant-sway bars or a WDH. This gives rise to a thought - will I need a WDH for the new Expanda, and will I have to"lift" the spare on the Pajero to clear the standard tow hitch n the Expanda? Can anyone advise their experience with this rig combination?

G'day Wado, Mitsubishi recommend the use of WDH anything over 135kg, in ball weight, the wheel lifter is a must and wth the recessed hitch of the "Outback" models you'll have no drama opening the rear door.

Attachments

• 100_2397.JPG
    100_2397.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 408

Doogle

Mar 18, 2011
Melbourne, Victoria
A Weight Distribution Hitch helps to distribute the weight on the towball across both the front and rear wheels of the tow vehicle (basically evening the weight the front and rear wheels are carrying).
Sway bars help in lessening the sideways movement (swaying) of the van as it being towed (as would happen in a strong cross-wind or when a large truck passes by).
Sway can also occur if the van is not packed correctly and weight isn't evenly distributed within the van.

Dave

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
See I thought they were one and the same, well judging from what people are referring as WDH and sway bars. I always thought sway bars were a vehicle mounted device on independent sprung vehicles.
Then I thought that a WDH was just the hitch and sway bars were the bars coming off the hitch. see below:
WDH-550.gif

Is that what you are saying above? Sorry just confusing because it looks like others think the same way.. (backwards?!?! :) )

(excuse) its been a long couple of weeks... ( If I look bonkers)

Lujo

Oct 14, 2010
Southern Riverina
Pick up our new 17-56-2 yesterday. I was advised that i will need a WDH as the van dropped to ball height on the VX Prado by about 50mm.
Our local Hayman Reece distributor is going to have a look at it on Friday.
Cheers
Lujo

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
Hi Lujo,
I ordered a Hayman Reece 550lb kit (74504) on Ebay. Cost me $625 delivered. Saved about $150 off RRP.
I'm going to set it up this weekend, I'll let you know how I go.

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
G'day all,
I recieved my Hayman Reese WDH that I bought on ebay. I fitted it on Saturday and what a difference!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought the Prado was towing the 17.56-2 well prior to fitting the WDH but now it is towing exceptionally well.
If anyone else is interested, here's the web address http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hayman-R...Caravan_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27bb69bde8
My purchase went off without a hitch (ha ha) and the saving is better off in my pocket that someone else's

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I'm with bigman, i only plan on running airbags on my Patrol like i did for my old Hawk. Time will tell.......................