Surburban SW6DEA Anode Change

Tailor

Jun 2, 2012
Newport Qld
Hi,

Maintenance time again, as we plan to be away in a couple of weeks.

Approx two years ago I replaced the anode in my hw system in the 16.49. Since then we have only used the van and hot water for a max of 2 months. Thinking it would be good to check, and as I had a spare anode on hand I removed the old one.

The picture tells the story, the crap in the centre is a little of the residue left in the tank. I try to flush out a much as possible while the element is out. The worst part is the removal and replacing of the element. In their wiswdom? the designers have the pressure relief hose situated just over the head of the anode. I use a thin walled socket, size 1 1/16"AF for this job. The worry of course is when replacing the anode to make sure it is not cross threaded. After the replacement I heat the system, just to make sure of the seal.

So far we have only used gas, as I have some concern about the electric element. Having said that, it looks like a somewhat worse job to change one. Has anyone here had the pleasure and can elaborate.?

IMG_0245.JPG IMG_0248.JPG

Sorry about the socket size. The edit is the correct one 1 1/16 AF

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
My new one is sitting on the shelve in the shed, I should do it soon. I know Bushman has done his and Stone Stomper did a bit of a write up on replacing his also.

Looks like you got the most of yours, I'll post pics of mine when I do it

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
My new one is sitting on the shelve in the shed, I should do it soon. I kmow Bushman has done his and Stone Stomper did a bit of a write up on replacing his also.

Looks like you got the most of yours, I'll post pics of mine when I do it

Yeah did mine a few weeks ago, getting the white sandy residue out of tank is the worst part, you just have to keep flushing, a long handled skinny bottle brush helps too, while away last weekend I noticed it still had a small drip, nothing a slight tweak with the socket couldn't fix.

Tailor

Jun 2, 2012
Newport Qld
To flush mine, I hooked up a hose and ran the 12v pump. Held a screwdriver handle over the outlet and then when I took it away the water and crud came out with a rush. I think I got most of it out that way.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Tailor, that anode looks like it was due to replaced over a year ago. I know its not old but it looks it. Once it gets down to the wire, the damage begins. They can also move inside the tank when they get worse, they sway back and forth like a bell damaging the enamel of the tank (on some systems). The problem is that as you are travelling you are using different water qualities, some soft some hard. There are different anodes for different water qualities. As an Apprentice, I was told never use much Teflon on an Anode, you need a good metal contact between the thread and the tank. No more than two wraps.

Geoff

Reactions: blacky and Tailor

Tailor

Jun 2, 2012
Newport Qld
Thanks for the advice Geoff.

I'm not sure aboout having a different anode as I don't know if other types are available for this application, and we have no idea of the water we will use in travelling.

I was pretty horrified when I saw the corrosion, as I didn't think it would be that bad. Other than the varying quality of water, it's probably from having water sit in the heater for long periods as well.

In future I will be changing it more often, regardless of how much we use the van. The teflon is already on the anode as bought, so I presume it's not covering too many threads. There are about three threads exposed on the inside edge, which will be enough, hopefully.

Another lesson learned and much appreciated.

John

Tailor

Jun 2, 2012
Newport Qld
Since starting this thread I've done a lot of searching to try to decide on a replacement time for the anode.

As maccayak says, there are a few variables at work. Quality or type of water, and whether to empty the tank when not using it, to state a few. While it seems, anodes can fail under 12 months, I would think that it should be done at least every 12 months. If the anode is OK reuse it, otherwise replace it. Fairly cheap insurance to save a $900 system.

Some advise to remove the anode after each trip which empties the tank, and emptying the tank will also remove some of the aluminium oxide (the crap deposited from the anode). Doing this will show the state of the anode, and if the tank is empty there should not be any chemical reaction in the tank. Once done, it's a fairly simple job to do, and also as maccayak says, only replace the thread tape where it is on a new one. Also note that the thread is a tapered pipe thread so don't try to force it all the way home.

I'm inclining to remove every few months, if using the van regularly, or after any trip where the van may no be used for months. Thats just a personal opinion.

Another tip. After replacing the anode and filling the tank, turn on the hot water tap until it runs without air bubbles, to purge the air out of the system before starting to heat.

Cheers

John

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I do not know if draining the tank is the answer, I think when you come back, just flush the system with your household mains water, maybe even better if you have a rain water tank?? It depends if you have good water quality or not. I would also be giving it a good flush before a trip. It has been known that anodes sitting in water heaters that have not been used for a while can in some circumstances give off Hydrogen Gas (think thats the one). So a good flush would get rid of that also. Regarding draining the tank, you may need to speak to the manufacture about that. I would leave it full.

Ever dropped a steel nail into a bucket, it does not rust as quick as one left in the outside air. Does that make sense!

I think it would be wise to have the anode inspected every year when the van is being serviced and have one on standby in case it is needs to be changed. The nature of caravanning suggests you are going to pick up poor water every now and then. Get the dealer to do it, then if they damage something they have to fix it.

If you are going to check it yourself then get the procedure on how to do it but always use the correct size socket and not a shifter.

Geoff

Tailor

Jun 2, 2012
Newport Qld
Ever dropped a steel nail into a bucket, it does not rust as quick as one left in the outside air. Does that make sense!

Yes, that does apply, it's the exposure to air which hastens the oxidisation.

I suppose some of the thoughts put forward depend upon individual experience. To date I've always left the tank full, and I can see the anode has done it's job. Perhaps that is the best way to go.

For myself I'll inspect the anode at the least once a year, and probably sooner, until I see what is happening. I usually buy two, so after replacement I have a spare on hand.

You are correct about using the right size socket, and not a shifter, although I doubt a shifter could physically get to the anode. The correct size socket is one and 1/16 inch AF. I'll have to edit my earlier past where I think I gave another size.

Having the correct tools and 50 years of varying experience, I do most of my servicing myself except where it's outside my comfort zone. I've had too many "experts" cost me a lot by not doing a proper job.

John

Reactions: blacky