Electrical Suggestions Please

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Any suggestions from the tech heads on how to tidy this up - or do I leave well alone?

EA9BB6EF-B95B-4CAA-AFA0-40101DF9E7AC.jpeg
EA9BB6EF-B95B-4CAA-AFA0-40101DF9E7AC.jpeg

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney

Attachments

• 2C2FCC02-D555-420A-9726-EA5DFFE54EDA.jpeg
    2C2FCC02-D555-420A-9726-EA5DFFE54EDA.jpeg
    289.9 KB · Views: 243

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
That's certainly a rats nest, I think the battery wiring scheme can be improved ad well which would improve not only the appearance but the performance, would really need hands on though.

Reactions: Billrw136

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
That's certainly a rats nest, I think the battery wiring scheme can be improved ad well which would improve not only the appearance but the performance, would really need hands on though.

Hi @Billrw136 , the worst part seems to be the parallel hook up and all those in-line fuses all over the place. Very hard to track down a potential electrical problem with fuses all over the place. A bank of fuses with each well marked will make it easier to fault find if you have a problem. I would recommend a setup similar to @Bellbirdweb as you can see what each wire does and where it goes. Bit of work necessary, but well worth it if there is ever a need to sort out, not only for you but anyone looking into that area.

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
My immediate concern would be the difference in the gauge of the wires from the left battery, the neg seems small in comparison to the maxi fuse red wire.. Cable ties are generally good enough to neaten things up, personally I like using a Dymo to label what things are, especially near any inline fuses.

SkinnyBuddah

Jul 12, 2015
Ballarat
If you do go the fuse block idea (which looks amazing and is alot easier to diagnose faults with) ensure you put an inline fuse between the battery and the common connection in the fuse block.

The wire between the batteries and fuse block are only designed to pull so much current from the battery.

The more devices on at once the more current is drawn from the battery... That can be alot of current through a single wire. Make sure you get some really beefy wire for this.

Try super cheap for the stuff or goto Repco

Last edited:

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Thanks everyone for replies. Where is the best place to source fuse blocks etc - Jaycar?, ebay? Other?
I may not have time to do much in the immediate future - heading to Tidal river campground At Wilson’s Prom NP for Easter to meet up with Melbourne son and family. In theory fitting diesel heater before then!

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
My immediate concern would be the difference in the gauge of the wires from the left battery, the neg seems small in comparison to the maxi fuse red wire.. Cable ties are generally good enough to neaten things up, personally I like using a Dymo to label what things are, especially near any inline fuses.
Yes that extra bit of red wire is much thicker than what it connects to. Maybe upgrading the connection between the two batteries would be one of the first things to do....

SkinnyBuddah

Jul 12, 2015
Ballarat
Yes that extra bit of red wire is much thicker than what it connects to. Maybe upgrading the connection between the two batteries would be one of the first things to do....
Agreed. As small as the wiring may be in length between the two batteries your trying to limit the amount of voltage drop between the two batteries. Again same beefy wire you put between battery's and fuse box would be what you should use to link batteries. Yes any wire will work and conduct electricity but it's about getting the best from your system.

I use 6 or 8 b&s size wire for these. It's kind of. Overkill but when it's one less ignition point in the tinderbox caravan it's cheap insirance

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Thanks everyone for replies. Where is the best place to source fuse blocks etc - Jaycar?, ebay? Other?
I may not have time to do much in the immediate future - heading to Tidal river campground At Wilson’s Prom NP for Easter to meet up with Melbourne son and family. In theory fitting diesel heater before then!
I got most of my bits n pieces at Jaycar, they have a reasonable range of that type of gear now

Reactions: Billrw136

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Jaycar is good as they have all the gear you need...............................check this link Bill https://caravanchronicles.com/guides/how-to-connect-two-batteries-in-parallel/ it will explain how they should be wired up as yours looks to be like the first diagram noted which is not really the best and as mentioned the cables connecting the batteries together seem inadequate.............. I have seen a few set ups where ancillary devices are just connected off one battery in an ad hoc fashion which is not a great way to do things.

You may need some 8 B&S cable with lugs to redo the battery connections, running the battery to a bus bar then to a fuse box is another way to get a neat job and also means no load hot spots and disconnecting batteries is easier as the batteries don't have a big conglomeration of cables hanging off terminals.

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Jaycar is good as they have all the gear you need...............................check this link Bill https://caravanchronicles.com/guides/how-to-connect-two-batteries-in-parallel/ it will explain how they should be wired up as yours looks to be like the first diagram noted which is not really the best and as mentioned the cables connecting the batteries together seem inadequate.............. I have seen a few set ups where ancillary devices are just connected off one battery in an ad hoc fashion which is not a great way to do things.

You may need some 8 B&S cable with lugs to redo the battery connections, running the battery to a bus bar then to a fuse box is another way to get a neat job and also means no load hot spots and disconnecting batteries is easier as the batteries don't have a big conglomeration of cables hanging off terminals.
@Drover thanks for that - makes sense - now on the list!

Reactions: Drover