17' Series Suburban water heater

Darrenhux

Dec 13, 2017
Australian
So over the last couple of trips we have been running out of hot water in 4 or so minutes. This is due to washing dishes and having showers 10 minutes later. What I have learnt after testing 3 identical vans back to back is -SW6DEA will only supply hot water for 6 to 6 and a half minutes tops at 45-50 degrees depending on where your tempering valve is set. Both the 240v and 24v t-stats are fixed non adjustable and will heat the “TANK water” to 60 degrees max. Once your water cools off and all your hot water has been used, it will not cycle back on to reheat until the “tank water” drops to 37 degrees. It will take 20 minutes to get the tank water back up to 60 degrees.
I hope this helps a lot of people with what you should expect from your hot water service.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
When on gas, I find it starts to reheat much quicker than that.
I always use my hot water heater on gas, have never tried 240V actually.
Am I alone in this behaviour?

Darrenhux

Dec 13, 2017
Australian
When on gas, I find it starts to reheat much quicker than that.
I always use my hot water heater on gas, have never tried 240V actually.
Am I alone in this behaviour?
Your probably right as gas is better than electric for heating in any hot water service. It would also vary depending on how cold your water goes. After a shower for example if you turned the water off and it drops to 42 degrees or 37 degrees the re heat time will vary. 20 minutes is a safe guide.

Vere

Oct 5, 2014
Adelaide
When connected to power I normal use the 240v option for normal daily water heating. I flick the gas on first thing in morning to assist during reheating in-between showers then turn gas off again. Heats a lot faster this way

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just finished testing mine, turned on HWS on gas as tea served, did dishes and had shower, flaming hot all the way...my temps for water are cold, warm and bluddy hell.

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
I am having an issue with my HWS, when on gas it lights, runs for a few secs and cuts out. It will do this a few times then not run at all until I reset it on the switch inside the van. Any idea what to check/replace.

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
Had the same problem. Gave the gas jets etc a good clean with compressed air and problem went away for a while. Still have intermittent problem but it was suggested to me it may be the thermo coupling.

Info on thermo couplings -A thermocouple is a safety device that's used to detect whether or not your furnace's pilot light is lit. It contains a metal rod that is placed very close to your pilot light's flame. ... If the pilot light goes out, the thermocouple will lose its voltage and the gas line to your furnace will be closed

One day I will replace it :)

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I am having an issue with my HWS, when on gas it lights, runs for a few secs and cuts out. It will do this a few times then not run at all until I reset it on the switch inside the van. Any idea what to check/replace.
When we were away at Easter mine was doing exactly the same thing, and our friends in their Swan also had exactly the same thing happening.

I haven’t tried to blow it out yet, but it eventually seemed to stay on and heat after 2 or 3 tries.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeff

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
So over the last couple of trips we have been running out of hot water in 4 or so minutes. This is due to washing dishes and having showers 10 minutes later. What I have learnt after testing 3 identical vans back to back is -SW6DEA will only supply hot water for 6 to 6 and a half minutes tops at 45-50 degrees depending on where your tempering valve is set. Both the 240v and 24v t-stats are fixed non adjustable and will heat the “TANK water” to 60 degrees max. Once your water cools off and all your hot water has been used, it will not cycle back on to reheat until the “tank water” drops to 37 degrees. It will take 20 minutes to get the tank water back up to 60 degrees.
I hope this helps a lot of people with what you should expect from your hot water service.
I run on both 240v and gas when on a powered site and find it recovers in around 10 minutes and I can have a good shower.

On 240v only it takes a good 30 minutes, has only 15-20 minutes

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If its playing up then check the connectors are clean on the solenoid...... Pencil pointing...

IMG_20180504_162540.jpg

Then give the igniter/thermocouple a good spray with some sensor cleaner (MAF/MAP Cleaner) this will clear any cobwebs/dust/soot off the probes and not leave any coating.... Cobwebs and stuff will short the igniter and soot will cause false readings on the thermo couple.

IMG_20180504_162608.jpg

I have found most times dirty connectors to be the problem.... The thermocouple signal is only a few poofteenths of a volt so doesn't take much crap to disrupt it.

Darrenhux

Dec 13, 2017
Australian

Do you hear the igniter clicking away outside. If so the next thing to check is if you have power on the two gas solenoids outside.
I had a similar issue last month and the problem with mine was a dead circuit board. Luckily it was under warranty.

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
Do you hear the igniter clicking away outside. If so the next thing to check is if you have power on the two gas solenoids outside.
I had a similar issue last month and the problem with mine was a dead circuit board. Luckily it was under warranty.
Yep, it ignites no worries at all, just doesn't stay lit. I have read it may be a sensor (can't remember the name of it) that monitors when the burner is running. Apparently they get quite a carbon build up and need cleaning. Gonna try that next time I get to the van.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
In laymans terms, when the burner ignites the flame heats this little probe thingy (thermocouple) which heats up and sends a signal down the line to a gas tap (solenoid), if the solenoid doesn't get a signal in 5 or 10 sec it will shut down, crap on the probe thingy or often bad connectors stop the signal same thing for gas fridges..................Only a problem on 3 ways, never seem to be a problem on compressor fridges.