Interior Suburban HWS problem

benrosenick

Nov 26, 2013
Sydney, NSW
www.bushpalace.com.au
hi, we are away in the van (17.56-2OB) right now and my hot water has suddenly stopped working (on gas -Have tried it on 240 via the generator and it is fine).

Was working ok yesterday, and have never had a problem with it before, but it has suddenly stopped. What I have checked so far-

Searched the forum for the same problem-other than the door replacement nothing sounds the same, I have the newer door as mine is a nov 2013 van
I definitely have gas-fridge, stovetop and bbq all tested, one bottle was a bit low but other is 3/4 full (and now switched to use both)
No blown fuses
Hw switch is going through its usual cycle (try 3 times then stop)
I can hear the igniter, and I can smell gas as it tries to light
No visible issues with the heater itself, outside or inside
Both reset buttons are in

And yet... No hot water-seems I have everything but ignition...
What do we reckon about trying to manually light it with a bbq lighter into the combustion chamber, just to see if the igniter itself has died-don't think I should to be honest but interested to hear if it's been tried.

Otherwise it's an irritating trip to get it looked at and use the gen to heat through 240v for now...

benrosenick

Nov 26, 2013
Sydney, NSW
www.bushpalace.com.au
Well, wouldn't you know it... After an hour or two trying to get it going I've fixed it 20 mins after I posted the question. For the body of knowledge, seems I just had a bad/dirty connection from the lead to the igniter. There's a bit of red dust in there, in the end I just unplugged the lead, cleaned it, and blew out a bit of dust from the terminal block.

Last edited:

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
I'd try doing what you said.
Get someone inside to turn it on while your outside with a bbq lighter . It may only be the auto lighter playing up

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Well, wouldn't you know it... After an hour or two trying to get it going I've fixed it 20 mins after I posted the question. For the body of know.edge, seems I just had a bad/dirty connection from the lead to the igniter. There's a bit of red dust in there, in the end I just unplugged the lead, cleaned it, and blew out a bit of dust from the terminal block.
Good to see it was simple to fix

Reactions: benrosenick

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Well, wouldn't you know it... After an hour or two trying to get it going I've fixed it 20 mins after I posted the question. For the body of know.edge, seems I just had a bad/dirty connection from the lead to the igniter. There's a bit of red dust in there, in the end I just unplugged the lead, cleaned it, and blew out a bit of dust from the terminal block.
Good work....at least you resolved it before getting someone to have a look at it and realise it was a easy fix:clap2:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Since this thread has the title I wanted I will just Hi Jack it.................
My HWS has a gas problem, switch mine to gas and the red light won't come on, checked things out and found the 12v supply had bad connection, fixed it but still no red light even though power is there, switch and red light work okay on individual tests , me thinks dodgy connection may have shorted and board may be stuffed, works on 240 ok.....................I was hoping for a fuse but none after the fuse board.

Does Red light come on if the water is already hot when you turn it on ???...........maybe a thermostat is faulty.................damn I hate it when things break.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Spooky stuff,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,10 minutes after posting I flick the switch on and it works, light on, burner fires up and all is good................this thread should be a sticky as the The Magic Caravan Fairy must be on the alert list.............................

Have spent 4 bloody hours going over all the wiring, chasing why it didn't work, get the it's with it, pack it all away, have lunch then it starts working, I don't care about the why now...............................

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Spooky stuff,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,10 minutes after posting I flick the switch on and it works, light on, burner fires up and all is good................this thread should be a sticky as the The Magic Caravan Fairy must be on the alert list.............................

Have spent 4 bloody hours going over all the wiring, chasing why it didn't work, get the it's with it, pack it all away, have lunch then it starts working, I don't care about the why now...............................
Have a hot shower before it goes off again ;)

DazFamily

May 26, 2015
Caloundra
I am having some issues with mine as well if somebody could give some advice.
I have a suburban hot water system inside the van and our last trip the unit is working fine but if i leave the pump on for water when running 12v the over flow of the hot water just keeps pumping out water. I have checked the relief valve released pressure and turned back on but same result. Pump just keeps running as if i have a tap on and when checking the overflow again water is coming out at a steady rate, no dripping. Anybody had a similar issue?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
@DazFamily, sounds like the PRV on the tank is cactus, if it is ? the same thing should happen when on mains pressure.......though if it only dribbles that would still mean the valve is faulty, mains pressure would be closing the valve a bit more than pump............does it look similar to the brass section of this one ???????..............they are a bit exxy at van shops , I would remove it and take it to Bunnings or Reece Plumbing and see if they have similar might be cheaper........Household HWS have similar valves fitted.
The lever should be in the position in the photo not in the raised position..........

While your playing with it remove the anode and see how much is left.

suburban_release_vaulem.jpg

Last edited: