Electrical Stupid question time.

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
so we picked up our new 14.44-4 OB on Friday. Just checking everything out and have a few basic questions.

After ready the manual on the setec power supply it looks like if I have the battery isolation switch on (so everything is dead) then the battery will not charge via the dc from pin 2 in car or the solar panels. If I want to charge the van battery I need to make sure this switch is not isolating the battery. Does this sound right. I have had the switch off over the weekend and while driving home from the dealer (2 hour trip) and as such the battery would not be charging.

Next weekend we will be taking it away on our first trip so im thinking I need to make sure this switch is not isolating the battery so it charges in the sun and then on the car while driving.

Let me know if I have this right or does the solar and dc from car charge the battery regardless of if this swithc is on or off.

Second question is the fridge I have run through a anderson plug and I believe this is direct to the fridge so the battery isolation switch will make no difference and will keep fridge maintained while I drive via the anderson. Anderson is isolated by a redarc so car batt wont discharge.

Just want to make sure I have this all right in my head.

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
Hmmm just re reading and now I think the isolation switch only affects 240 charging. Solar will charge regardless of switch position but 240 will trickle charge if off and faster charge if switch is not isolating battery.

Does this sound right ?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep................
Battery switch isolates from Setec, lights and therefore charging from tug................. solar should charge the battery anyway.
If you have an Anderson line for the fridge this will run your fridge from the car, the van battery will not operate the fridge.
What you should do is leave the battery switch ON, when you have your van parked up at home plug in 240 and the battery will be kept charged.
Make sure you have the pump switch OFF except when you want to use it, the same goes for Gas taps, I have the HWS gas tap off and fridge off till I want to use them, only for added safety and of course always turn the bottles off when on road.

Reactions: bigcol and Delano

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
Thanks @Drover makes sense. I didnt know the setec had more than just a trickle charge so its good to know if I run 240v for a day or two before a trip ( to chill fridge ) It will also top up the battery, more then just a trickle slow charge. Will have a cover on it when not in use so solar wont help in between trips.

Have to get use to a routine of making sure gas is off etc before heading off.

Now fun can begin with adding a 12v pump and HWS this week before our maiden voyage on Friday.

Thanks again.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My rig is always plugged into the 240 just to keep the battery good, also handy if I'm doing a mod inside can have the cricket on and AC.............that was with the old one and new one is no change just don't have to duck.

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Agree it's a good idea to plug into 240 a few days before. Chill the fridge but also top up the breakaway battery (often hidden away and forgotten). Solar should keep your battery topped up regardless.

Reactions: bigcol

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Agree it's a good idea to plug into 240 a few days before. Chill the fridge but also top up the breakaway battery (often hidden away and forgotten). Solar should keep your battery topped up regardless.

Just check that your breakaway battery charges from the Setec.

Mine only charges from the car or via a separate plug pack

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
Thanks for the replies, I dont believe there is a breakaway system so no battery for that.

Need to get one of those 15a to 10a thingos now to plug lead into, ( have read a few threads re these but just going to be safe and get one anyway), I can charge it up while cooling the fridge and having us crawl over it trying to work out what to put where so the air con will be cranking while we do all this, three birds one stone.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I got a 15amp socket on house, fitted when the Air Con was set up, very handy.

G Daddy

Dec 6, 2015
Toowoomba
I have mine connected all the time when home as the Setec has a basic smart charger build in which charges the battery in maintenance mode.

Reactions: Drover

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Thanks for the replies, I dont believe there is a breakaway system so no battery for that.

Need to get one of those 15a to 10a thingos now to plug lead into, ( have read a few threads re these but just going to be safe and get one anyway), I can charge it up while cooling the fridge and having us crawl over it trying to work out what to put where so the air con will be cranking while we do all this, three birds one stone.
Jaycar do one. I can run airconditioner, fridge etc no problem with this. When I bought it without the waterproof box I think it was around $80.

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
I was going to go to the Newcastle show coming up but now we bought the van I'm scared to go as my wallet will most probably get hammered. But then again might pick up a few things a little cheaper like you did @Bellbirdweb with the ampfibian.

@twscoot I saw the jaycar one the other day. It's around $125 now but still looks good.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Have a good look at how often you would actually use an ampfibian before laying out that much, really if only using it at home just to charge the battery it's a waste, they are only needed if you are going to be running AC, kettles and HWS.....I know all the why's but a lot of dough put down for no real use or any safety issue. Have never found a need when on the road.

Reactions: JT76

kozza

Jun 14, 2015
Melbourne
I ended up bringing getting an amphibian from the big green shed - brought along an advert from an online supplier that was cheaper than their's and they ended up beating it by 10% - ended up about $67.

I brought it along with me on our most recent trip - we ended up at a friends house (no 15A socket) so it came in handy for the conversion.

Reactions: Drover

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
If it helps....we use one at home only to keep the insurance company happy.

On the road, never bother as, on the few occasions we go to caravan parks, the 15 amp lead gives us more than we need.

If we visit friends without adequate power available, we just treat it like an unpowered campsite.