16' Series Storm Covers

SimonB

Dec 26, 2014
Hi,
This is my first post on this forum. We are on our maiden journey this weekend and I have a question hopefully I can some help with. Our van is a 16.49.3 with soft bed ends and storm covers made from vinyl. We had a lot of rain at Harvey Bay. The canvas has not leaked, but has wet patches and would probably come through if touched. I am having difficulties with storm covers touching canvas and pooling. The covers are tensioned and space is good when dry only touches in a few places. Is there spaces I could place on ridges (hockey stick). Hope I can get some help..love this van!

mbr37746

Oct 20, 2013
Central West NSW
Hi @SimonB and welcome! I had a similar issue when we had our last camper - Jayco Hawk, not sure if you have the 2 or 3 pole set up, but we had the 2. I ended up using a spreader bar between the 2 poles and angling to the off side to run the water when wet. I don't have any photos to show you bit of it doesn't make sense let me know and I'll try and explain further. BTW, so you have any photos of your issue, it may help to diagnose and provider a possible solution. Cheers.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
With the bed fly's on our 2007 16.49.3 soft top we had three upright poles and had pooling issues in the wet even with the guy ropes as tight as anything.

I added two separate spreader bars per end and used them to tension the bed fly ends with one end slightly higher and no issues after that. have some pics but must be on the laptop, or backup hard drive, as can't find them on this computer! Will look in the morning if time permits.

In the mean time and as @mbr37746 said.... If you can post a pic of your setup and the issue someone may be able to help out a bit more!

Just re-read your post. Is your pooling issue on the bed fly's vinyl roof or the bed end canvas?

Reactions: bigcol

Corey Brown

Oct 12, 2015
South australia
With the bed fly's on our 2007 16.49.3 soft top we had three upright poles and had pooling issues in the wet even with the guy ropes as tight as anything.

I added two separate spreader bars per end and used them to tension the bed fly ends with one end slightly higher and no issues after that. have some pics but must be on the laptop, or backup hard drive, as can't find them on this computer! Will look in the morning if time permits.

In the mean time and as @mbr37746 said.... If you can post a pic of your setup and the issue someone may be able to help out a bit more!

Just re-read your post. Is your pooling issue on the bed fly's vinyl roof or the bed end canvas?

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
I just put the covers laying on top of the bed end and dont use the poles at all when raining that way it dosent pool just use pegs and bungee cord to keep it tensioned at the bottom of the fly ends
Tried that once as the rain came in quickly...... Ended up with water seeping through the vinyl where it touched the bed end canvas.... Guessing vinyl is the same as canvas and needs to not touch anything?

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I thought it was more the moisture seeping through the stitching rather than the canvas or vinyl....but I guess it depends on things like humidity and the quality of canvas and vinyl.

Speaking of which.....another digression.....

Has anyone used good quality Velcro cut and loop to attach tarps, shade cloth etc ...more for temporary storm protection than anything long lasting.

I'm contemplating making up some emergency tarps for storm protection....

:focus:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I've always used those mini bungies with the ball thingy on the end but the eyelets don't match up. Then I tried the clampy thingies but they were hard to adjust.

Thought I'd try to cut up some old, but good and lightweight, tarps to the right size and stick some Velcro on...but I'm wondering if the Velcro will pick up every bit of dirt, stick and sand and drive me nuts....or nuttier.

I hate wasting stuff and am still smarting from the $800 cost of the expanda Storm covers which I never ever used. I think I succumbed to sales talk with them as they'd only just come on the market.....ah well, live and learn!

SimonB

Dec 26, 2014
I now put pool noodles in between cover and bed end canvas. Seems to work well and keeps an air gap between the 2