Exterior Storm cover, vinyl or canvas?

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
I would like to purchase a storm cover for my bed end (only have one) and I can’t decide whether to go with vinyl (Kakadu) or canvas (Holiday). I have searched the forum and it seems to be a bit of a ford v's Holden type situation.

I am leaning towards vinyl as it gives the best protection out of the two products and it will make the bed end darker in the mornings so SWMBO can stay in bed longer:D.

After conducting a search I have found that:
  • Both attach via sail track either under the rubber seal or on the outside rim of the hard lid (I will decide on which way to go once I have the cover)
  • Vinyl is heavier and will put more strain on the hard lid struts (may need to get stronger struts or use a support pole, no big problem)
  • Canvas being lighter tends to flap around and be a bit noisier (this could annoy SWMBO:o)
  • They both cost around the same (no real dollar saving going with one or the other)
So it would appear it really is six to one half dozen to the other, both covers come with windows to allow air flow if required, they both take very little time to put on and take off as required and I will probably only put them on if there is a chance of a storm or to make the bed end darker, so what are your thoughts vinyl or canvas?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thought about one but after going thru a couple of big storms found I didn't need one the shade sail screen kept everything okay and dry..........have an Aussie flag hanging on the back and it keeps the light down.

If I did I would probably go canvas though.

By the by where did you get the cool awning bit at the front of your awning, I would like one.

Reactions: Axl

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
Thought about one but after going thru a couple of big storms found I didn't need one the shade sail screen kept everything okay and dry..........have an Aussie flag hanging on the back and it keeps the light down.

If I did I would probably go canvas though.

By the by where did you get the cool awning bit at the front of your awning, I would like one.

@Drover the Expanda already has a storm cover that @chartrock had made by a local guy but it is showing its age and when we got hit a couple of weeks ago it kept blowing off so its time for a new model that will stay in place a bit better, the porch came from Australia Wide Annexes up on the sunshine coast.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I had to replace the bungy strap on the bottom of my shady cover, used fence clips and heat shrink..lol,lol.......will have to check out that mob as a porch is a must especially at the moment camped in drizzling rain...........yuck.

Reactions: Axl

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
We bought the Jayco ones directly from Jayco at Dandenong. $350 ea with track. Really happy with them, we used them over the last weekend and we had a lot of rain Saturday and the beds were dry as a bone. I fitted the track under the rubber seal, didn't even screw or rivet it, just used good white silicone and its looks neater in my opinion. (hard to pick the track from the lid)
But with anything Jayco there are mods required. I fitted better quality male press studs into the van, just a tighter fit, $4 from BCF and I will make a bungee cord that attaches on each side window that goes under the lid. I trialled rope in a huge wind/rain storm, not even close to coming off.
The Jayco ones look quite good, even had compliments from other Expanda owners and they come in a nice carry bag. It is a Holden v Ford thing, but don't forget Hyundai;).

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
We ended up with the Jayco branded ones as a sweetheart monthly deal when we purchased the van. They look really smart, and are reasonably light weight. Their certainly waterproof and haven't blow off yet in some very strong winds.

Reactions: dagree and Axl

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
I had to replace the bungy strap on the bottom of my shady cover, used fence clips and heat shrink..lol,lol.......will have to check out that mob as a porch is a must especially at the moment camped in drizzling rain...........yuck.

@Drover as you said mate a porch is a must, the length of the awnings on our size Expandas isn't all that long so the porch is well worth the money fits straight into the antiflap kit and comes with two poles a spreader bar, the ropes (and really crap:noidea:) pegs to suit.

We bought the Jayco ones directly from Jayco at Dandenong. $350 ea with track. Really happy with them, we used them over the last weekend and we had a lot of rain Saturday and the beds were dry as a bone. I fitted the track under the rubber seal, didn't even screw or rivet it, just used good white silicone and its looks neater in my opinion. (hard to pick the track from the lid)
But with anything Jayco there are mods required. I fitted better quality male press studs into the van, just a tighter fit, $4 from BCF and I will make a bungee cord that attaches on each side window that goes under the lid. I trialled rope in a huge wind/rain storm, not even close to coming off.
The Jayco ones look quite good, even had compliments from other Expanda owners and they come in a nice carry bag. It is a Holden v Ford thing, but don't forget Hyundai;).

We ended up with the Jayco branded ones as a sweetheart monthly deal when we purchased the van. They look really smart, and are reasonably light weight. Their certainly waterproof and haven't blow off yet in some very strong winds.

Thanks for the advice guys, the last time I asked one of the guys a Brisbane Camper land for a price on one of the Jayco covers he didn't even know what I was talking about so I walked out:frusty:. I will give them a ring:phone: and see if I can get a price as $350 is quite a bit cheaper than the other two brands I have mentioned.

Reactions: Drover

Sturah

Oct 29, 2015
BrisVegas
@Axl tough call what to get with the storm covers, just came from camperland, they do not seem interested in the jayco ones trying to push not just canvas ones on to me. how was your reception with them were they going to order them in for you?

@Crusty181 knowing what you know now. you would select the jayco ones again? do you still have privacy screens? are the canvas ones still having a good amount of airflow? or is the privacy screen the best for the airflow?

cheers

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@Axl tough call what to get with the storm covers, just came from camperland, they do not seem interested in the jayco ones trying to push not just canvas ones on to me. how was your reception with them were they going to order them in for you?

@Crusty181 knowing what you know now. you would select the jayco ones again? do you still have privacy screens? are the canvas ones still having a good amount of airflow? or is the privacy screen the best for the airflow?

cheers
I really like the Jayco canvas bed covers. They dont quite fit the way theyre intended but theyre reasonable light weight, and with a little modification mine attach quite well. The air flow is potentially good because you can roll up the flap and clear plastic window to expose the fly wire screens, but thats all on the outside and it would be a deliberate effort to do that. I say potentially because on the previous Expanda with shade mesh we opened it up most of the time ... but with the canvas storm cover its easier just to leave it closed.

Feeding them into the sail track each time you set up would relegate the canvas ones to stays of 2 or 3 nights plus .... certainly not single nights.

Ive made shade mesh ends to leave attached permanently, so i can use that on over night or fine weather ..... so i have the best of both worlds

Reactions: mccrlc

Sturah

Oct 29, 2015
BrisVegas
I really like the Jayco canvas bed covers. They dont quite fit the way theyre intended but theyre reasonable light weight, and with a little modification mine attach quite well. The air flow is potentially good because you can roll up the flap and clear plastic window to expose the fly wire screens, but thats all on the outside and it would be a deliberate effort to do that. I say potentially because on the previous Expanda with shade mesh we opened it up most of the time ... but with the canvas storm cover its easier just to leave it closed.

Feeding them into the sail track each time you set up would relegate the canvas ones to stays of 2 or 3 nights plus .... certainly not single nights.

Ive made shade mesh ends to leave attached permanently, so i can use that on over night or fine weather ..... so i have the best of both worlds
So i called the spare parts section and they told me they most probabily will not fit next years model? back to square one. i also really like the look of the jayco ones and it seems so do most people here

Reactions: Crusty181

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
Ok so I did some ringing around today and got some prices could not contact Holiday Annexes tried several times went to message banko_O, Kakadu quoted $550 fitted for vinyl (thought this was reasonable)8-), Camp Smart (which sell the Jayco brand covers) are currently sold out of rear end covers. I only need a rear cover for my 14.44.3 and the girl there rang me back twice to let me know when they would be available:) good service and a good price but they did not supply the sail track, they were at the time the best price I could find for the Jayco covers.

After reading some posts on here I rang Jayco Dandenong, they quoted me $350 but as I am in Brisbane I would need to put postage on that which old mate couldn't give me a price for and they wouldn't supply sail track, wow this is getting hard I thought to myself:o. Last resort ring Camperland knowing that this would be the most expensive old mate quoted me $500iiiish on the phone with sail track, shheeees I thought that's a bit rude>:( but they are only 5 minutes away from home and have stock on the floor. So I went over there and after some haggling informing them of other quotes I got a Jayco rear bed end storm cover with the sail track for $400:D happy days.....

Going to fit it up in the next couple of days now all I need is the distructions as these do not come with any as many of us know, was it @dagree that had them I cant remember......to many beers:doh:

@Sturah I have a 2010 model I am not sure if Jayco make covers for the new model lids as yet but I am pretty sure both Kakadu and Holiday Annexes do.

Last edited:

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
Ok so should I fit the cover on the outside of the lid or remove the seal and fit it under? the guys at Brisbane Camperland had no idea what I was talking about:doh:.

Probably another Ford Vs Holden moment but I respect and would like others opinions.....seems to me its six to one half dozen to the other.

Reactions: dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
No probs @Axl... Fitted on the outside as per suggestions from local Jayco guys (After they called Jayco factory for advise as they hadn't fitted any at that stage)

caax

Oct 10, 2015
Wollongong
Im pondering if I should get a storm cover. Looking for the ones with the strap underneath to stop flapping from the wind.

Are they really worth getting. I'm thinking ahead for those just in case moments in the future.

Our next trip is the start of March for about 2 weeks and the van goes in next month for service.
I would buy now and get them to fit.

More pics would be nice thanks.

I have looked at @dagree job well done. How's the cover holding up since install?
Also seen @AzHaych cover which are done differently.

Last edited:

Roosterman

Jul 18, 2015
Hunter Valley
Im pondering if I should get a storm cover. Looking for the ones with the strap underneath to stop flapping from the wind.

Are they really worth getting. I'm thinking ahead for those just in case moments in the future.

Our next trip is the start of March for about 2 weeks and the van goes in next month for service.
I would buy now and get them to fit.

More pics would be nice thanks.

I have looked at @dagree job well done. How's the cover holding up since install?
Also seen @AzHaych cover which are done differently.

I have the Jayco storm covers, there a light canvas make, and have served us well, whilst I think the vinyl covers would better water proofing, I wonder our restrictive they would be in terms of breeze....???

I had mine out in the recent big rains which came thru QLD over xmas/NY and they were great....no water ingress....mine have straps on each corner which helps to prevent any flapping, none for us....they have a darker screen sewn in for a little privacy, and also a clear PVC cover over the windows so you have some light when its raining....

They were $350 each from memory, and IMO are fine for what they designed for...

Hope this helps....

Reactions: caax

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Having been thru some big arse storms, destroyed my awning, water came thru side vent but no water thru our bed end with shady cloth screen, so I hate to say it but I think $400 odd bucks for an extra cover is a bit much and would most certainly expect it to stay as dry as mine without the cover.
Mine is 6 yrs old and doesn't leak.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
They are holding up pretty good @caax
Had to replace the original press studs with stainless steel marine ones as the originals came undone and the cover ended up sliding out of the track in windy conditions. Also added a few more for peace of mind!

I have a pack of ute tonnaeu cover elastic straps (Same as on the shade screens supplied with the van) that I am thinking of fitting to them to keep a bit more tension on the corners.

Reactions: skippy