17' Series Storage Space 17.56 - 2 OB

Racer

Jun 17, 2014
NSW
Hi Guys

As the title suggests, the wife and I with our two little ones are looking at upgrading from a Flamingo Outback to the Expanda 17.56 - 2 Outback. One of our major concerns is the storage space within the Expanda compared to what we already have.

When referring to the storage space I am focusing on the internals to store cutlery, plates, clothes, food, mother in law...you know what I mean.

I have trawled through plenty of photos on both here and Jayco's 3D interior.

Is there more than meets the eye, what do you think?

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
External hatches accessing any under seat storage makes life very easy and adds to what comes standard. With two small kids and a 16.49-2 we fit everything from our Eagle and more. The Starcraft we have now has empty spaces as we learnt what we really needed early on.
You'll be fine!

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Hi @Racer Welcome to the forum.

We have a 17.56.2OB (Upgraded from a 16.49.3 non-OB) and find that we have plenty of space for what we need... Only 2 adults tho but sometimes daughter and her son tag along.

Have only used it over a weekend but as it has more storage than the 16'er I don't think longer stays will be an issue.
Can't help with the difference between the expanda and the flamingo though.

Hoffy

Jun 10, 2014
Gold Coast, Queensland
We too are upgrading from a swan outback to a 17.56.2 OB. When we were discussing this with the sales person, besides the hatches with easy access to storage underneath, the sales person said we needed to look up!! There is cupboards nearly all the way around the top of the van. We were going to go the van without the shower/toilet to have the extra storage/cupboards but after thinking where we could put things out of the swan into this model, we were happy. I'm sure you will be fine plus there are heaps of ideas on here for storage and space saving.
Good luck!!

benrosenick

Nov 26, 2013
Sydney, NSW
www.bushpalace.com.au
Hi @Racer, We went from a swan OB to a 17.56-2 OB. First we took everything out of the swan, and then set aside everything that we hadn't used . Then we put all of it back into the new Expanda (just in case...), and have spent the last 8 months putting more in. So, scientifically proven that the 17.56-2 has heaps more storage than a swan!

Seriously though, if the flamingo has a similar capacity to the swan ( ie one robe, drawers under dinette, cupboards in kitchen & dinette) the 17' Expanda has all of that, plus the head height cupboards, plus the tops of the head height cupboards once the roof is up, plus the front boot, plus the cupboard to the left of the door, plus the room under the fridge . In our experience we found we had a lot more room generally, and then all of the additional benefits like time to set up etc. There is some wasted space around the HWS in the 17.56-2 but you will find some clever mods here that have made better use of that space.

Hope this helps...

David McG

Mar 7, 2014
Hills District Sydney
We upgraded from a Flamingo to a 16ft Expanda just over 2 years ago in part for the extra space so we would not need to put the annex walls on - for camp shelves etc for clothes. We do not have shower, toilet and went for the cafe seating and a roof AC to give extra storage. Also had shelves out in the wardrobe. We are half wAy through a 3 month drive around Australia ( nice and warm here in Exmouth - snorkelling today) and for my wife and a 5 year old there is space to spare. We are also carting a bit of extra gear for when our older children join us for part of the trip.

Bigger fridge and much easier set up are just some of the other advantages.

meandher (a frost)

Mar 21, 2013
The Vines, WA
Racer, we upgraded from a Swan Outback to a 20.63 Expanda Outback about 12 months ago. I think the upgrade is just a natural progression, a rite of passage and an evolution in thinking. Certainly ours was an epiphany now that I think of it.

We were pretty tightly packed in the Swan, being Newbies and all, and took probably a kitchen sink too many with us each time we went away. You won't regret the upgrade. The old Swan gave us some great experiences, but the messing about on setup and packing away was painful, we just didn't know it at the time and still smile smugly to ourselves as we spend our 10 minutes hitching up and taking off, as opposed to the Laurel and Hardy antics of even the most organised camper trailer owner we spy as we are heading for the exit.

We opted for the 20.63 on a whim at the Caravan and Camping Show here in Perth in 2013 and had it modified to make it more comfortable for long trips, choosing to take out the bunks ( no emotional and economic leaches in our house) and fit cupboards and a washing m/c in their place. The thing is like the Tardis now, and even allowing for the fact we have lost the under seat storage because we opted for the slideout, we have way more storage capacity than we will ever need and believe that even without the mods we made, we would still have more storage space than an Ikea junkie's wildest fantasy.

Granted, the 20.63 is a big 'van, but we haven't added too many extra bits and pieces that we used to take away in the Swan. We have way more clothing space than before. Not much hanging space, but we are camping and not 5 star glamping, and if I don't need to use an iron, then I am happy.

I think you may be worrying without cause. The 17.56 will have way more space, both storage and human,than you had with your Flamingo and the main problem will be overfilling and taking too much stuff rather than not having enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoffy and Flossymk1

Racer

Jun 17, 2014
NSW
Thank you for your replies, just prior to signing we will be inspecting one to confirm.

I am not overly concerned, it is the wife that needs to be convinced!

I must add this is a very informative and positive forum.

Reactions: Hoffy

Gibbo

Mar 17, 2013
Bayside
Hi Racer
We also upgraded from a flamingo, but we went to a 17-56-1 ( myself the wife and three kids) and when we go away we have empty cupboards. As the sales man said there are a heap of over head cupboards. With the flamingo we used to put up an annex, did not even order one with the panda.

Racer

Jun 17, 2014
NSW
Sounds like us Gibbo without the bonus kid. This time we won't be bothering with an annexe and utilise shade walls.

We did have a detailed look of the Expanda and talk through where we would store what and we realise there is more space than meets the eye.

The Goodwins

Jan 29, 2014
Wellington Point
www.facebook.com
Hi Racer
We also upgraded from a flamingo, but we went to a 17-56-1 ( myself the wife and three kids) and when we go away we have empty cupboards. As the sales man said there are a heap of over head cupboards. With the flamingo we used to put up an annex, did not even order one with the panda.

Totally agree HEAPS of room!!

barney120

Dec 10, 2013
Kangaroo Valley
We have a 16. 49 and have been away on trips up to 6 weeks with 2 adults and 2 kids. We still haven't filled all cupboards but do have to have a clean out every now and then of stuff we seem to accumulate while on our travels.

Snowy

Jun 30, 2014
Whyalla SA
Hi guys considering the same upgrade myself, going from my current Jayco Swan outback to a 17' Expanda Outback pop-top with the shower/toilet. I think the benefits are pretty obvious but would like to know if there are any downsides, do they tow as well (tow vehicle 100 Series TD Landcruiser) as the Swans (100 km/h on highway)? Can you still get in to the same camping spots, do they still handle the major outback roads (Oodnadatta Track, Flinders Ranges etc) okay?

Thanks in advance.
Snowy

Reactions: Racer

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Hi @Snowy I can't answer the outback tracks just yet as we have only been doing a little off road stuff but I do believe the previous owners did a fair bit on their lap judging by the red dust that keeps coming out of strange places. We tow at the speed limit up to 110 KPH and passing road train we aften get up to 120+ KPH and it just sits there without any dramas at all and we as yet don't have a WDH and probably never will, cheers Dave

Reactions: Racer