Electrical Stop lights flash on 240 volt

GregW

Jan 30, 2013
Perth
hi all,

Has anyone come across this one.

My brake lights flick on and off on 240 volt, not connected to car. They do not flick on or off if 240 off and on 12 volt batteries. Does it have anything to do with the break away system?

Thanks

Greg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Stoplights should be totally isolated from van 12v system, if the breakaway is running off the vans 12v system then there is a problem, though from my understanding the breakaway should also be isolated from the van 12v system and have it's own set up. I would be getting someone to have a look at things. I would have a stab and say the breakaway battery is charging from the setec and something is not right. check all connections for hairy wires.

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
That sounds bad. Your breakaway has its own battery and is charged from the vehicle. When you say on and off, do they just sit there flashing like a indicator or come on when you plug 240v into the van and go off when you unplug the 240v?

GregW

Jan 30, 2013
Perth
That sounds bad. Your breakaway has its own battery and is charged from the vehicle. When you say on and off, do they just sit there flashing like a indicator or come on when you plug 240v into the van and go off when you unplug the 240v?
Hi Shane,

They flash like an indicator, not as fast, maybe every 10 seconds. Its the first time i have seen it happe, have had the van on 240 volt before.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I can't see how that could be caused by the breakaway. Id be getting the van straight back to the dealer quick smart. 240v making your 12v do stuff could only be bad

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Since there should be no physical connection between brake and van 12v then it possibly could be the old screw or staple connector.......I hope not as they are bloody hard to track down.
Keep us posted @GregW ,

Reactions: bigcol

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
Hi Shane,

They flash like an indicator, not as fast, maybe every 10 seconds. Its the first time i have seen it happe, have had the van on 240 volt before.

No help to you but My trailers led brake lights do that same thing when they are plugged into the BT50.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Would be interesting to put a multi-meter on the brake lights (at the 7 or 12 pin connector and ground/dirt/earth then wait to see if it is reading 240V.

Also, would not want to connect the caravan to the car while it is still connected to 240v with this happening - if there is any "voltage pulse" back through to the car, that could become a very expensive repair!!

Reactions: Drover and dagree

jvp

Apr 9, 2013
Yorke Peninsula Copper coast SA
The breakaway unit applies the brake lights to worn drivers behind that the van is stopping. Often the brake away unit battery is connected to the 240 Volt charger to maintain battery. Maybe a faulty brake away battery or unit. There is no direct connection between the breakaway & 240Volt
Good luck
jvp

Reactions: ROnEM

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Hi Greg, how did you go with your problem? I think you may have an issue with your brake away unit as jvp said. Out of curiosity I pulled the pin on my break away unit and the lights turned on, so maybe that's your problem.
Cheers
Nick