Exterior Stone chip - how to repair

ChrisFatboySydney

Feb 29, 2016
Sydney
Ok. My first stone chip.

I can feel the groove so looks like the topcoat has cracked off.

Any ideas how to repair something like this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 227

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Best way is to get a professional fiberglasser that way you will never see the repair.
But if you want to do it yourself then re gelcoating is the way to do it, go to a Boat supplies shop like https://www.whitworths.com.au
and either buy a Gelcoat repair putty kit or brush on Gelcoat (be aware they both won't be colour matched so you will have to either paint or tint)
look on Youtube and watch a few videos on how to do it properly and then take your time and do the preparation.

But take my advice I have fixed a few bumps/scratches etc on a few boats and to be honest for a small spot like that I would take to a glasser, it should be very cheap (like less that $100) to fix that.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I go white, for just stone chips you don't really notice the colour if a bit off, bigger chunks like 50c size get someone to do it, or get a bit of glass board off cut to practice with, just takes care for a good job, of course for a bigger chunk you can always patch, light sand if needed then whack a sticker over it, works quite well actually.......Google the technique.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep, but have a look at the online how to's, they will give a good idea on what's, what, really depends on how big a gouge, a pic never gives a good idea, some just a bit of colour dobbed on sorts it others a scrape, sand with a bit of bog.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bellbirdweb

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Not wrong, I have found a trip along some of QLD's finest red dirt roads solves the problem as the stuff never comes off and hides a lot...lol,lol............lots of luck, just take it slow and follow instructions and don't do it on a hot day, do not cry when on the next trip a stone hits in the same place and chips it out, you sort of give up then.....