Exterior Step anti-slip recommendation

Lap Dog

Jan 13, 2017
Currently on the big Lap
I have slipped on my step (getting out of the van) a couple of times.... So far no damage done. I was going to buy some of that 'black' stuff (like wet/dry sandpaper) which I assume is available from the big green shed. Has anybody got any other product recommendations and where to get it from. Thanks

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I got it from the shed just sticks to the step very very good i had to cut it to shape as it was bigger then the step much better now never sliped they should be made with non slips steps as its a real hazzed
I just saw it it hanging in an aisle one day and thought hay i need that for my step
I also got rubber edging for the sides of step from clark rubber i will take a pic and post it

Reactions: bigcol and Lap Dog

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
20170716_104443.jpg there you go easy

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
once, many eons ago, in a far far galaxy

I was dragged kicking and screaming into - and then out of Ikea
BUT
I did find some Patrull which was quite cheap (dont recall now how much - but it satisfied my Scottish Heritage)

works a treat - same same as 40 emery cloth, but it is for steps
IMAG0861a.jpg

IMAG0863a.jpg

Reactions: Boots in Action

Sammy D

Feb 14, 2016
Quirindi
Read through this thread a couple of days ago and thought "this is something I need to do" and then yesterday the better half slipped and did her ankle in so while she was in the a and e department I went to Bunnings and stocked up on a few different non slip strips.

Better late than never, but for any who haven't done this I think it is well worth the minimal cost to save a lot of pain.

Reactions: Boots in Action

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you use paint on or stick on just remember when it starts to show wear fix it or your shins will hate you again...Big Mal doesn't have a step, if I forget to put the portable step in place Mrs D can't get in or takes swan dive......there is a nice epoxy mix which is the ducks, but costs a heap.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
once, many eons ago, in a far far galaxy

I was dragged kicking and screaming into - and then out of Ikea
BUT
I did find some Patrull which was quite cheap (dont recall now how much - but it satisfied my Scottish Heritage)

View attachment 55974

View attachment 55975

Hi @bigcol , I could probably use that stuff on a belt sander!! It sure would stop you slipping on the step.

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Hi @bigcol , I could probably use that stuff on a belt sander!! It sure would stop you slipping on the step.

ok, maybe not 40 grit
probably more like 120-200

BUT

has been on the Van since 2013 and shows no sign of deterioration - yet

hasn't stopped SWMBO from falling into the Van (missed the step completely)
or falling out of the Van (forgot about the first step in the floor)

BUT
no-one has slipped on THAT step

Reactions: Drover and G Daddy

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Bahahahaha, thats like when you step into my shed, non skid applied with yellow/black warning for small step in doorway, trouble is you slip arse over as you tend to step over the non skid spot, wet feet and bang on bum in a second............upgrade needed....

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
If you use paint on or stick on just remember when it starts to show wear fix it or your shins will hate you again...Big Mal doesn't have a step, if I forget to put the portable step in place Mrs D can't get in or takes swan dive......there is a nice epoxy mix which is the ducks, but costs a heap.

Hi @Drover , did you get a few hits around the head from Mrs D for not putting out the step?? You KNOW it is ALWAYS YOUR fault!!!

Reactions: Bluey and bigcol

Clewsy

Apr 17, 2017
Cairns
Did the same thing to Swan and Panda, bought a mat from bunnings and cut it down, got 2 steps from 1 mat. Stuck with liquid nails or sikaflex works well

Attachments

• 20170723_121306.jpg
    20170723_121306.jpg
    503.5 KB · Views: 230
Reactions: bigcol