Started the whole replacing the current Prado with a 2014 today

The Goodwins

Jan 29, 2014
Wellington Point
www.facebook.com
What a nightmare......the lease is about up so its time to look at the next model. Cant say I am a fan of the new look but with the luxury vehicle tax projected to increase soon it may make sense to upgrade now. I am looking at a D4D this time to replace the petrol machine with the following extras, starting with removing most of the toys off mine, I even plan to take the BFG's I put on last month on it as I got 100,000km out of the last set.

2014 GXL D4D with...
From Toyota
Towbar
Factory Seat covers front and back

Aftermarket
TJM T13 winch bar
TJM Snorkel
Underbonnet Battey system ?

So the plan is to go from....
This......
1064605_10201419595274423_211398797_o.jpg

To this......
1655772_793120767384675_360626522_o.jpg

TJM Vehicle but is essentially my setup without the TJM side bars and sidesteps.....and all my roof toys and BFG tyres....I would even go for white actually....Silver or as a favourite Gum Metal Grey....

Still don't like the new nose though.....

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I had to drive one the other week - mine site to Pt Hedland and back again - comfy, air con was ok.
but, get anything but white

I am SOOOOOO over white Landcruisers / Hiluxes

Reactions: crackacoldie

The Goodwins

Jan 29, 2014
Wellington Point
www.facebook.com
I work for the Government @bigcol in an area that drives white cars with blue and white check bands (Actually its a tartan...not many people realise this...) so driving a white car is an every day thing so I am VERY adverse to buying one.....LOL.....

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
When you say factory seat covers are they the neoprene ones? I have them in my Jeep and find them a bit sticky on long trips as they don't breathe. Great though for when your in wet swimmers.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
@BigSkiddy - I think thats a Jeep thing................ sticky..........

yeah, I always wanted to know WHO's Tartan (or Tart n') it was supposed to be @The Goodwins

a nice grey, or the Steel Blue (what ever it is supposed to be)........ much better than White.........

The Goodwins

Jan 29, 2014
Wellington Point
www.facebook.com
Yes @BigSkiddy its a tartan...Ours is a blue on black but the original has its links to Sir Robert Peel.....Bobbies....Peelers....etc...Its a variation of the Sillitoe Tartan......used world wide the difference being ours is blue and white......as per all Australian States.....NZ is traditional black and white and as an interesting note City of London is Red and White.....

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi

My FIL had the same issue with white cars.

Have you tried towing your 17:56 with a D4D ? Not looking at Bashing Prados but they are not overtly overpowered. What does the 17:56 go fully loaded? It must be close to the 2500kg?

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
i think its going to be really interesting to see what happens when they are all imported once Toyota pull out of Aus. OS models are rated with a higher tow capacity. I don't know much about their other engine specs though.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
i think its going to be really interesting to see what happens when they are all imported once Toyota pull out of Aus. OS models are rated with a higher tow capacity. I don't know much about their other engine specs though.

All of Toyotas fourbies are fully imported now. The holding yard is not even in the same state as their manufacturing plant. I would think nothing will change

Reactions: Antman

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
Yep, Prado is made in Japan, Hilux in Thailand - have owned both until recently. Not sure about the others though.
IMO the Prado has the most efficient A/C for a large vehicle I've ever used.
Plus they're nice to drive :)
Cheers,
Paul

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
Interesting that the shorty Prado (2 door) is rated at 3t and has exactly the same gearbox, drive train and D4D engine. Hilux is rated at 2.2t from memory again same kit I think, with exception of leafs.

I was told by a Toyota rep that this was a marketing thing to make sure they didn't all compete in the same towing market. The reason for the shorty's 3t limit was to encourage people to buy it, but I think they have cancelled that model now. Not sure why you'd want to tow 3t in a car that weighs around the 2t mark. My rule (or perhaps Einsteins) is the thing towing is the boss and should always weigh more and be in control.

Re white, I'm in Gov and know what you mean. I would only get white if I decal everything else black. Looks awesome like pic below (not mine). I have the graphite and plan on doing the same as in this pic when I can afford it!

image.jpg