Starcraft Starcraft Security Door Frame

Akil

Nov 16, 2016
Perth
Does anyone know if you can order replacement frame parts for the inner security door?

I have only just noticed that our recently purchased 2nd hand 22.68-1.OB has a crack in the bottom right hand bend in the security door. I have called the local Camec and as far as they are concerned the only option is to replace the complete door assembly for $1250.

I have called Caravanland (the local Jayco dealer) and they are going to see what they can do. I'm hoping they have a damaged door I can use for parts but I'm not holding my breath. Plan B will be to see if I can find someone to Tig weld it back up and Plan C will be to use a suitable adhesive and rivets.

- Ian

Van-Door-02.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just looked at some cats and hell they are very expenseive doors, no sighn of parts, the rounded extrusion is probably the cause, a van wrecker maybe, but would probably charge heaps anyway..........you would need to dismantle the door frame and check if the joiners are plastic, alloy or steel before you try to TiG it, you may getaway with filling the cavity with liquid steel or similar, shove the joiner in and push it together whacking a new rivet in as well as on the side along the way, TiG in that position could be a pain not to mention having to repaint.

Akil

Nov 16, 2016
Perth
I suspect the rivet was the previous owner's solution to the cracked frame, there is actually two on the inside too.

I'm not overly fussed if I have to repaint, it's a small price to pay to have the repair done right.

- Ian

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Depending on stresses on door a weld may crack again as not much meat to hold things...., I'd probably end up welding every join and make an unholy mess of the thing in the end....lol,lol.

Reactions: dagree

Akil

Nov 16, 2016
Perth
I did think about gluing the frame together but I thought that might bite me in the arse down the track.

Caravanland has reached out to one if their suppliers to see if the corner is available. So it looks like I'll look at running my Anderson plug to the draw bar for solar this weekend rather than fixing the door.

Reactions: dagree and Drover

Akil

Nov 16, 2016
Perth
Well finally heard back from CaravanLand. They're able to have a new security door made for $565 (5 weeks lead time) which is better than the full door assembly from Camec but still not what I was hoping for so onto Plan B. I'll pull the door apart and take it to a mate and see if he thinks he can TIG it failing that it'll be off to Bunnings for some white rivets and some adhesive.

- Ian