StarCraft 17:58.3 Mk11

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Thats odd, wonder why they would do that. Where is that piece exactly Jimmy cause my drain was sooo slow thought I was going to flood the shower at one stage.

Mate it's where the clear hose connects to the pvc near the onside rear drop jack. I am changing mine completely , but a simple burr in a drill or Dremel and open it out a bit would probably help.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I don't know if all 17 Starcrafts are like this. But Right under the floor and the sink is the crossmember for the Independent suspension. The independent doesn't have as many holes to feed tubes and wiring through as the normal crossmembers. For some reason Jayco choose to send the front tank fill hose through behind the crossmember and have it go forward using two elbows. Then the floor waste goes forward and has to negotiate through the same hole causing a congestion and using two elbows and about 1.5m extra of pipe.

image.jpg

That's the waste on the far left next to the hot and cold. The front tank filler is on the right in the foreground.

image.jpg

Jayco junction !

image.jpg

That's the drain near the chassis rail and you can see the tank line coming in from the centre. Just goes straight across now.

Worse bit re sealing everything up there with black sika, I got it everywhere.

Last edited:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Going hard to finish it yesterday so didn't get a "completed " pic. But it looks identical to the first shot, just doesn't have excess hose and elbows going to the front tank. Hoping it will fill quicker now.

I also tidied up the breather hoses, but again with the JTech independent it makes it hard to get a run on the hose without dipping down and causing an airlock.

If I have any trouble next trip I will bring the breathers up inside the cupboard so there is no chance of an airlock.

image.jpg

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
image.jpg

That rubber in the crossmember tube was put there by me. It's obviously redundant now, I did it quickly for our first trip. It's worth doing to all the crossmembers IMO because the way some of the wiring and pipes are jammed through and rub on a reasonably sharp edge, they WILL FAIL eventually.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Once I get the warranty stuff done I want to do a few things. Are you putting a toolbox on Jimmy?

Yes Dave I already have a toolbox from the expanda. But I have to relocate the gas bottles forward first.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Ever wonder why the drain is so slow? Besides that they drape the hose so it has low points Jayco use a reducer at the outlet that takes the 25mm tube down to below 15mm!!!

View attachment 27332
Is this the last point of discharge from the van, where you connect the clear hose when setting up.

Any wonder noddles and sink waste pop up into the shower

Last edited:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Fitted a rubber door stop, to stop the door catch from hitting the panelling when accessing the cassette.

image.jpg

Reactions: TerriD

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Owned 3 vans and been promising to revise Jayco's shitty drainage system. So bit the bullet, roughed it out on the weekend and finished it tonight after picking up bits today. The cam lock is a bit excessive but 3 secs to hook the drain on..... Awesome. Have left room for a check valve if I have issues with the shower but we are both careful what we put down the drain and the type of detergent we use (foaming) and there is a good distance and fall to the drain. Was going to re plumb it all but decided to stick with the clear tube for now.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Love your work as always @achjimmy

The new rig looks great and some really well thought out mods already (especially the ones i contributed to like B & W number plate and moving the awning;)). And yes, i found out about the B&W number plates after my van got registered, thanks for reminding me @cruza driver , in NSW you can change over for about $80 i think, try justifying that one to the missus though>:(

Plumbing has always been a bit of an issue with Jayco's so good to see you are sorting it early.

Did you notice much change in fuel economy going from single axle to double? I think the 17 starcraft weights the same as the 16 expanda, so interested if there is much difference from your point of view.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Love your work as always @achjimmy

The new rig looks great and some really well thought out mods already (especially the ones i contributed to like B & W number plate and moving the awning;)). And yes, i found out about the B&W number plates after my van got registered, thanks for reminding me @cruza driver , in NSW you can change over for about $80 i think, try justifying that one to the missus though>:(

Plumbing has always been a bit of an issue with Jayco's so good to see you are sorting it early.

Did you notice much change in fuel economy going from single axle to double? I think the 17 starcraft weights the same as the 16 expanda, so interested if there is much difference from your point of view.

Moto I think she is about 250kg heavier. I have added it up yet, just like I haven't done a report. But I got the feeling I got better consumption.

Reactions: Moto Moto