Suspension Squeaky Jayco Leaf Suspension - 2013 BS Outback

Lonski

Aug 19, 2013
Perth
Hi Gang, My 2013 Basestation Outback has almost forever had squeaky suspension, to the point that going over speed humps through caravan parks everyone seems to stop what theyre doing to have a look at who's coming down the road. I have also noticed other Jayco's doing the same. I have greased where there are grease nipples and tried oil/WD40 and other remedies where there is not, I obviously havent been hanging under the van while its moving but I imagine the likely culprit could be where the spring hangers connect to chassis - no grease nipples there?

I am doing a 2 month trip from WA to East Coast and return at the end of the year and would like to rectify prior as it will drive me nuts, not to mention possible damage to rubbing metal components could have an adverse affect on the van and end up in a unenviable situation.

I have had a search through forums but cant find anything although i am sure its been discussed, is there a remedy, drill and tap additional grease nipples perhaps?

DWWood

Jun 26, 2016
Yarra Valley
I've heard lots of vans squeaking through van parks and not just Jayco's. Mine also squeaks (OB Expanda) and after greasing everything I could I sprayed motorbike chain oil on other areas, springs, hangers etc and it definately quietened the sqeaking down. You reminded me I need to do it again.

Reactions: cruza driver

Herbertclan

Mar 6, 2016
Perth
We have a 2012 17.55 OB Discovery, just returned from doing a 14 week trek around Australia and ours were squeaking before we left. I had a center bolt break and fall out on the top of the atherton table lands, it was at this exact point I worked out that the noisy suspension was the dry pins on the white nylon bushes. Now our van had done the great central road prior to this so I'm not 100% sure if this leg finished off the bushes but my bushes were shot!! I fixed the bolt and picked up a new set of springs, shackles and pins in Townsville of the greasable type and never heard a squeak again:D the trailer guy I got the parts of said the greasable pins and shackles are what I was looking for when I complained about the squeaking.

In short, you may quieted them but I don't believe it will ever stop unless they are converted to greasable. It would be a wise investment to just do the pins and shackles if your bushes are still in good nik.

Cheers Max.

Reactions: bigcol

Lonski

Aug 19, 2013
Perth
Cheers guys, just had a look on the ALKO site, looks like the offending article is the shackle pin, they have greaseable/non greasable. Just have to work out what size and how to buy as they dont have a location in WA.
upload_2017-10-12_12-55-29.png

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
yes they do - well similar anyway
Martins Trailer Parts Bayswater (behind biggest Bingo near Tonkin Hwy / Guildford Rd)
or
Trailer Parts -
JMR Auto's Edward St Bellevue

Reactions: Drover

Deanus

Jun 22, 2013
Hi,

Have had 4 Jayco's from Westport pop top through 3 expandas, all wit leaf springd

My advice is simple, if they squeak they are OK If they don't, you've got a wear problem.

Cheers

Reactions: bigcol