20' Series Spare wheel dilemma???

CrazyMOBB

Feb 2, 2014
Matcham, Central Coast, NSW
Hi all. Just thought I would do a little exercise in getting the spare wheel out from between the gas bottles. So after jiggling it this way and that way I could not get it out. Had to remove both gas bottles and one of the gas bottle holders to get it out. So now the question is, rear bar mount or under the rear mount? Thoughts and pics if you have any ideas.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thats why nearly everyone ends up with a wheel carrier off the rear bumper fixed if you have a front bedend or drop down with a rear bed end, though I think a wind up underneath at the back is far better............
Here's the drop down I did on my 14.44 kept the round bar but made a saddle mount for the rack, never looked like breaking http://expandasdownunder.com/threads/drovers-14-44-3.4502/page-4

and a few pages after I did a wind up job which was much easier and less messier.......a search will find some really good write ups on spare wheel relocation, the draw bar job is just a big pain, move the wheel and turn the spot into a rack for hoses etc, brilliant way to go.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Use a string line @1DayIll and run it from the ground at the back of the road wheel to the bottom of your bumper, anything outside the line would possibly get hung up, inside should be good except for jumping off ledges etc with van.

DaveR

Mar 13, 2017
Gold Coast
Here is mine under a 17.56. I made the frame to fit between chassis rails, got a spare winch from a 4wd. I use the same drill as my drop jacks.

34252620756_c595cb8f14_c.jpg
34162119051_6686789f40_c.jpg

alexvk2

Nov 30, 2016
Sydney
I have posted pics of wind up under 14.44.5 outback..have two spares...winder sourced on eBay for about $70 new
Weight is low and forward of wheels for better stability..used wooden blocks to hold wheel off and bolted through cross member and floor into locker under the dinette seat

Reactions: bigcol

dirtdiggler

Sep 6, 2016
Perth
If you're worried about it scraping, locate it close to the axles. I have a low slung touring model and mounted my spare underneath. No problems with kerbs etc. Will post a link for you later ( too hard on the phone).

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
If you're worried about it scraping, locate it close to the axles. I have a low slung touring model and mounted my spare underneath. No problems with kerbs etc. Will post a link for you later ( too hard on the phone).

I have pole carriers here and they do not scrape at all. I would need to put the wheel behind these. Actually might have a look and see if there is room in front?