Something different/odd. 2011 Defender

Slartybartfast

Dec 9, 2016
Newcastle
Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd introduce myself in the Tow Vehicles forum because of my oddball tow car.
Just picked up our brand new 14.44-4OB Expanda last week and I'll be towing it with my 2011 Defender 110 wagon.
We now have two young boys and our full dirt floor camping days are we and truly behind us.
I've been a Land Rover nut(case) for at least 20 years and have had the full range of Land Rover experience. From a death trap, 10 inch non-power assisted drum braked, rust bucket Series 3 to my current car which has been (relatively) problem free.
I've only towed the van locally so far with a 60km drive to Port Stephens the furthest. That was into and alongside a howling North Easterly. The car seemed to feel very planted and secure dealing with the cross wind.
Early next year the car will be getting some mods to keep the cylinder head and exhaust gas temps in check. A known affliction for these 2.4Lt Ford engines when towing something even moderately heavy even though they are rated to tow 3.5 tonnes.
These include a remote engine oil cooler, upgraded intercooler and upgraded exhaust.

I'm really looking forward to getting on the road with the new van and getting back into some camping that we have so missed since the breeding programme commenced.

Cheers
SBF

Attachments

• IMG_7635.JPG
    IMG_7635.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 306

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Some things too look out for are:
1. The seal on rear diff getting compressed and then leaking oil, if you pull on the handbrake too hard. The handbrake gripped the drive shaft and the torque then lifted the drive shaft, which in turn compressed the rear diff seal.
2. Issues with the Transfer case.
3. Excessive body roll.
I had an early 2001 Defender 110 and these issues caused me ongoing problems.
If I am telling you stuff you already know apologies. Good luck with your Defender.

Reactions: bigcol

Slartybartfast

Dec 9, 2016
Newcastle
Hi yabbietol,
Yeah, I'm aware of the issues you've raised.
I've not had any issues with the rear diff as yet, although many have.
I've had the terribly designed adapter shaft that couples the old LR transfer to the Getrag 6 speeder replaced with a modified unit from Ashcroft.
The shaft splines are put together dry and all of them eventually fail. Mine didn't, but was totally shagged when I replaced it.
The body roll is all part of the old school LR soft coil experience. I did take it to Fraser Is with a roof top tent and two jerrys full of diesel. That was a little hectic. But common sense kept me upright. Please refer to my avatar pic for my experience with body roll.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
I put Bilstein shocks in mine after a Lake Eyre trip, but they did not solve the body roll issue, though they made the ride better. Springs would have been next step, but the Defender then rolled, it tried to kill me and was written off.

I did want a LR since I was 17 and did have one. I have now moved on.

Nice avatar pic of body roll. Also I do like your Galactic Hitch Hiker alias.

Regards
Terry

Slartybartfast

Dec 9, 2016
Newcastle
No need to say sorry. They definitely are an enthusiasts car only.
I would never, ever recommend one to anyone.
They are a car from a different era and are hopelessly out performed in almost every way by almost every proper 4WD (except for out-of-the-box axle articulation).
I've had the LR infection from a very young age, having a 1973 S3 as my first car, a 1993 Defender, a 1996 V8 Discovery (fuel consumption champion), a 1959 S2 (current project) and my 2011 Defender.
Despite all the shortcomings I wouldn't consider anything else but now that they're out of production I will have to face reality eventually.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
I do like a Defender :) I still might be silly enough to get one soon not to tow just for my car have a new Disco to tow with.
What did the 2011 model come in Tow Ball weight seems to differ depends on year.
I would like a 6 seat 90 county series myself although rare as in Australia.

Reactions: bigcol

Slartybartfast

Dec 9, 2016
Newcastle
There is confusion around the towball weights.
My owner's manual says 150kg but the genuine LR towbar has 250kg stamped on it.
I tend to believe the towbar plate as the same owner's manual is issued with the 90, 110 and 130 models.
A County 90 would be a verrrry rare thing in Au. I'd love to see some pics if you manage to get your hands on one.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
No need to say sorry. They definitely are an enthusiasts car only.

dont get me wrong, first car I ever drove (in New Guinea 1970) thought it was the Ants Pants
the fact that it belonged to the "Green Machine" and my Father was one of the Workshop people helped

loved it to death (as a 7yo would)
when I brought one in 1979....... the memories were what swayed the deal
pity it did not live up to my memory though
that and the fact my Father refused point plant to touch it.... to help me fix it

still like them, wont own one again I dont think

Reactions: dagree and davemc

JS4910

Sep 21, 2016
Gladstone Central Qld
Welcome @Slartybartfast

I know where you're coming from with the Green Oval affliction, I've had a love hate affair with them for years, sometimes more hate than love. Due to my love part of the relationship I've had 3 x Defender 110's 95, 97, 2004 a RRC 2 door, and Discovery 1, all gave me great joy at times but also took me into times of despair.

They certainly are an acquired taste and not for everyone.

I still have a soft spot for them but could never own another one.

This was my last Defender

12805893_10208608944205805_8464447240187231068_n.jpg

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Landy's have given me some of my best memories from a SII caving at Wee Jasper, learning to drive in a SIIA army lwb at Albury to owning a SIII, still have the genuine workshop manual..........go anywhere but not in a hurry........but cruising around the outback in RAAF Landy with the 4lt Isuzu under the bonnet was brilliant, fast, nice balance and grunt, just could never afford one.........

Last edited: