someone to tow my van

Lach

Jul 31, 2016
Sydney
Hi all

I have an problem and hoping to tap some wisdom / experience

I am aiming to take the family to the Kimberly next winter for 3 x weeks. 2 x weeks of school hols and one week after.

To get from Sydney to the Kimberly is about a 50 hour drive which is not tenable given we only have 3 weeks. I have looked into hiring kit but it is all camping gear and roof top tents which require much more set up and pack up every day. Would much rather have our van, unhitch, explore from base and come home each day.

So i had the idea that i could maybe may someone to tow it up, leave it somewhere in agreed. I could then fly up with the family , pick up the van and do our thing. When done, we would leave the van in a prearranged place, fly home and pay someone to bring it back to Sydney.

Has anyone done this or anything similar? Anyone got any comment?

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
a great idea, but from a logistical stand point........
where is start location
where is delivery location

unfortunately, all freight ex east coast goes to Perth, then from there, nothing comes via Bris via NT to Kimberleys or Pilbara
and the last time I organised a "hot shot" from Bris (via Darwin) to Pilbara - its over $20K

that said, IMHO you would possibly be better off having an extra week or so yourself off, and leave 4-5 days before everyone to get there - they fly
and you return yourself after they fly out
do about 1200km per day driving - you'll get there, but be cactii when you do

hiring one of those Maui type Motor Homes would be cheaper.............. pickup at airport (which ever one you want) then drive like the clappers.........

Reactions: Lach

Lach

Jul 31, 2016
Sydney
a great idea, but from a logistical stand point........
where is start location
where is delivery location

unfortunately, all freight ex east coast goes to Perth, then from there, nothing comes via Bris via NT to Kimberleys or Pilbara
and the last time I organised a "hot shot" from Bris (via Darwin) to Pilbara - its over $20K

that said, IMHO you would possibly be better off having an extra week or so yourself off, and leave 4-5 days before everyone to get there - they fly
and you return yourself after they fly out
do about 1200km per day driving - you'll get there, but be cactii when you do

hiring one of those Maui type Motor Homes would be cheaper.............. pickup at airport (which ever one you want) then drive like the clappers.........

In ideal world that's what i'd do but i can't afford 5 weeks off work!

Sydney to Darwin and am after someone to drive my 4WD and van (as opposed to shipping it)

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
you could try backpackers.........

my cousin had to drive a Maui van from Brisbane to Perth - they gave them 4.5 days from Bris
when they go to Perth and delivered it, they said - "oh, there was no rush, we thought you would be about 2 weeks..............."

my cousin was NOT impressed
although, she finally realised just how big Australia is.......

Reactions: Lach and Drover

Lach

Jul 31, 2016
Sydney
you could try backpackers.........

my cousin had to drive a Maui van from Brisbane to Perth - they gave them 4.5 days from Bris
when they go to Perth and delivered it, they said - "oh, there was no rush, we thought you would be about 2 weeks..............."

my cousin was NOT impressed
although, she finally realised just how big Australia is.......

thats the sort of thing i was thinking...

Reactions: bigcol

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Try this, Caravansales had a free plug with this person that does this sort of jobs :)
https://www.caravanrelocationservices.com.au/

I met Anthony from CRS a few years back. Seems a nice fella and genuine in what he does. Was getting a lot of work back then - recoveries when a driver can't get the van (and car) back home for whatever reason, or one way deliveries like @Lach was after. Not cheap though....
Pay for time, food, accommodation, air fares and any taxi transfers etc. Adds up

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi all

I have an problem and hoping to tap some wisdom / experience

I am aiming to take the family to the Kimberly next winter for 3 x weeks. 2 x weeks of school hols and one week after.

To get from Sydney to the Kimberly is about a 50 hour drive which is not tenable given we only have 3 weeks. I have looked into hiring kit but it is all camping gear and roof top tents which require much more set up and pack up every day. Would much rather have our van, unhitch, explore from base and come home each day.

So i had the idea that i could maybe may someone to tow it up, leave it somewhere in agreed. I could then fly up with the family , pick up the van and do our thing. When done, we would leave the van in a prearranged place, fly home and pay someone to bring it back to Sydney.

Has anyone done this or anything similar? Anyone got any comment?
Just some info to add to the mull bowl of options; we came across many rentals with rooftop tents. Ive personally not used one so cant comment on the level of comfort, but they were certainly incredibly easy to set up and pack up. One rental company had twin cab 4x4 ute set up for 5 people. 2 x roof top tents and a swag. I had a long chat with them because I was impressed with the reasonably self contained set up, and it looked like a fun adventure.
UvR8_iL4.jpg

Lach

Jul 31, 2016
Sydney
Just some info to add to the mull bowl of options; we came across many rentals with rooftop tents. Ive personally not used one so cant comment on the level of comfort, but they were certainly incredibly easy to set up and pack up. One rental company had twin cab 4x4 ute set up for 5 people. 2 x roof top tents and a swag. I had a long chat with them because I was impressed with the reasonably self contained set up, and it looked like a fun adventure.
View attachment 57615

cheers mate.

I have considered these but the problem with a RTT is that you have to pack up camp to move each day then unpack each night whereas if i drag the van, we can leave camp, do our thing then come back and relax (thus minimising the time between ignition turning off and beer being cracked...)

also - nothing like travelling with your own rig. You know where every thing is and have everything you need.

Looking at the numbers, it looks like an extra $4500 to have my own rig up there (driven up and returned by someone else) vs hiring one or $225 per day for a 20 day trip. This gives us our own stuff (chairs, tables, kitchen gear, beds, space etc), generator and air con if it gets real hot, hot water showers and toilet, plenty of fridge space, my own vehicle and recovery gear (more confidence), our own toys (eg snorkelling and fishing gear), our own (very comprehensive) first aid kit etc.

So in short, over 20 days it is about $250 p/day for a rental dual cab ute with RTT or $475 per day with my own landcruiser and caravan...

Reactions: bigcol