16' Series Solar Panel Fixed or Folding

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
Hi all, just need the opinions of the experienced, or anyones for that matter!
Thinking about adding solar, around 120watts.
i was thinking a folding kit of 2 x 60 watt panels ( ebay kits about $180 ) to put beside the van and charge batteries on the occasion we free camp, this would give us the flexibility to take them on the road when we tent the rough stuff now and again, or to charge the boat battery while away.
Seems a lot of people fixed a panel to the van roof, is this a better option for efficiency .

your thoughts would be appreciated.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Your folding panels is an excellent way to do it. The fix panels are great. I went with one on our first van as a toe in the water and was mightily impressed. This time around 2x 120w on the roof were free so what could I say? I will look at one of the flexible around 120watt for the car and additional work later.

I think 120 watt is minuim if you want to run a engel/Waeco

Reactions: 17triton and Colsar

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
The panel on the roof means I do not have to 'charge' my van before I go on a trip and ensures the van battery is topped up during the day when on free camp site.
Also have a 3 panel 180W portable used to supplement van, to keep my Bt50 boot fridge going and keep the second battery also in the boot of the BT50.
Marv

Reactions: Drover

Still_dreamin

Jan 27, 2014
Brisbane Northside
Our 2011 van didn't come with solar installed. We still use our 120w folding panels, which we can easily connect to our Andersen plug at the front of the van. This keeps us going for when we free camp.

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
Our 2011 van didn't come with solar installed. We still use our 120w folding panels, which we can easily connect to our Andersen plug at the front of the van. This keeps us going for when we free camp.
120w seems the norm. is the anderson plug you use go straight to the battery , with or without a fuse ?

Still_dreamin

Jan 27, 2014
Brisbane Northside
I am completely electrical/ wiring illiterate. All I know is that it is the Andersen plug that connects to our car while in transit to trickle charge the battery - I think... I will ask the hubby when I see him next.

Reactions: Colsar

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Our 2010 is the same. Ours was pre-wired with an anderson plug when we bought it which is wired direct to the battery with a fuse. I have a 120W folding panel which I cut the leads and fitted an anderson plug so it plugs direct to the battery when camped.

Darrin

Sep 5, 2013
Birkdale Qld
We started out with the fold outs 120 watt and the Anderson plug on the draw bar , which works fine but finding myself constantly moving them.We then mounted a 200 watt panel to the roof with the intention of another battery one day . The roof panel keeps up with everything , tv , lights ,pump etc... I ended up using a 100amp battery for the Waeco which the fold out panel charges . They all work well if you get the sunlight .

Cheers

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
Our 2010 is the same. Ours was pre-wired with an anderson plug when we bought it which is wired direct to the battery with a fuse. I have a 120W folding panel which I cut the leads and fitted an anderson plug so it plugs direct to the battery when camped.

a simple question, is it just a blade ten amp fuse or something fancy.?

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
a simple question, is it just a blade ten amp fuse or something fancy.?
Yes, just a blade fuse in the standard fuse holder you can buy from Supercheap etc. I'm not sure of the size, I think it might be a 20 A.
It is the same anderson that the car uses to charge the van battery.

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
Yes, just a blade fuse in the standard fuse holder you can buy from Supercheap etc. I'm not sure of the size, I think it might be a 20 A.
It is the same anderson that the car uses to charge the van battery.

So I don't need to add Anderson plug , just use the one on draw bar?
I thought this plug was to run fridge on the move, hmmm does the fridge run off the battery and the plug just charges the van battery from car using the drawbar Anderson plug that has pink and white wire.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
So I don't need to add Anderson plug , just use the one on draw bar?
I thought this plug was to run fridge on the move, hmmm does the fridge run off the battery and the plug just charges the van battery from car using the drawbar Anderson plug that has pink and white wire.
Sorry guys, I should have explained that the plug I am talking about is direct to the battery (via a fuse), and I have a second anderson wired straight to the fridge. This is from the truck's main battery via a fuse and a relay to switch it off when the ignition goes off. I have been caught before with a flat main battery before fitting the relay. >:(

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
Yeh got it chart rock thanks, will leave the front plug as is, fit second plug via fuse straight to battery on side of van, that'll keep the controller close to battery. Happy days.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
We have 2x 120w on the roof of the van, never plug the van in at home and keeps the compressor fridge running all the time. Happy with the fixed not portable, only because I am a little lazy and portable panels is just something extra for me to set up and pack up. :becky:

Last edited: