16' Series Solar Controller buzzing and buttons

cal32

Jul 15, 2018
sunshine coast
Hi

New Expanda owner here . We have a 2015 Outback 16.4 .
Tried running off battery first time (at night) to home as a test and after a while buzzing coming from controller and light went off . It seems to happen when voltage drops below 10.

So I then turned battery off and voltage climbed again and noise stopped. We run a deep cycle battery . What is happening here ?

I also noticed that pressing red buttons does nothing to change the display. Could I have a faulty unit ?

I am surprised that the battery may not be charged because we have had two days of sunshine so should i be concerned ?

thanks in advance for any advice

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Could have a flat battery. Plug your van into 240V power at home for a few days and make sure your battery master switch is turned on. Probably located adjacent to the solar controller. Looks like a light switch.

Reactions: PhilW

cal32

Jul 15, 2018
sunshine coast
Thanks MDS69 goo idea

I just discovered I don't have 15 amp outlet at my place so looks like I will need to get one .
With solar does the battery master switch need to be turned on to get solar charging battery of does it just do that automatically ?

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
You don’t need a 15A power out.et at home. You can purchase a electrical accessory called Amphibian that will safely allow you to plug your 15A lead into the Amphibian then the Amphibian into your 10A power outlet in the house.
https://ampfibian.com.au/products/ 15A to 10A Power adaptor

Reactions: PhilW

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
I turn my battery switch off when I have my van in storage. The Solar panels still charge up my battery. I have a remote battery monitor so about once week I download the data. There are some things in the van that always use some of the power stored in the battery so as you can see, there is a small fluctuation, down a bit at night, recharges the next day even when the caravan cover is on. Have had some very cloudy days recently so not a full recharge every day. Not bad since the van cover is pretty thick on top to protect from hail. Enough sun gets through to recharge.
4B75B6FB-1A7F-4AF8-BE0A-C8DEEBA1A66D.png78351FDE-8C4B-4F3A-92E7-20BB56929D45.jpeg
This how my van is covered when in storage, battery still charges every day, battery switch turned off.

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi

New Expanda owner here . We have a 2015 Outback 16.4 .
Tried running off battery first time (at night) to home as a test and after a while buzzing coming from controller and light went off . It seems to happen when voltage drops below 10.

So I then turned battery off and voltage climbed again and noise stopped. We run a deep cycle battery . What is happening here ?

I also noticed that pressing red buttons does nothing to change the display. Could I have a faulty unit ?

I am surprised that the battery may not be charged because we have had two days of sunshine so should i be concerned ?

thanks in advance for any advice
At 10v volts your battery is likely kapoot, especially is it creeps up quickly after disconnecting the load. Take the battery to a battery shop ie Battery World and they'll load test it for free

Reactions: Marv_mart