Solar connection

Grego

Jul 22, 2011
Just seeing if anyone has done a solar setup ,the battery was factory fitted (09 outback) just looking a weather to get a portable setup on drill into my roof and do a permant fixture.Also what brands are the best
and if there are kits for the permanent setup.
Thanks Grego

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Hi Grego

Have a look at this thread http://www.expandasdownunder.com/showthread.php/253-New-Expanda-options?highlight=solar there is a bit of info there. As far as whether to mount them permanently or use the folding type I guess comes down to personal choice. As you will no doubt see from that thread to get them factory fitted costs an arm and a leg. personally i'm not too keen on putting holes in my roof just yet so will be getting the portable ones :)

shane.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Hello Grego

I got the expanda pre-wired this time and mounted 2x80w panels on the roof and mounted the regulator myself.
On the last expanda I did the whole lot myself it was alot quicker this time

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
For our new van I'd like to toy with the idea of having solar panels mounted to the roof that can be un-clipped and set up in a sunny spot. I can see there would be some issues like accessing the roof easily but I'm sure there will be a solution.

grinner914

Aug 3, 2011
Bacchus Marsh VIC
For our new van I'd like to toy with the idea of having solar panels mounted to the roof that can be un-clipped and set up in a sunny spot. I can see there would be some issues like accessing the roof easily but I'm sure there will be a solution.

When I had our Eagle camper, I had an arrangement where the panel was held in the roof bracket with wing nuts, and slots in the bracket so they could be easily taken off and out back on. However it was easy to get them off the roof of the camper before it was wound up, not as easy to get to the roof of the expanda, especially the outback.

With the cheap price of the folding panels now (Ebay, folding 80w at $199) my plan is to have a panel fixed to the roof, so it charges while parked and driving, and a folding panel for use at the campsite for extra capacity.

Jason

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
With the cheap price of the folding panels now (Ebay, folding 80w at $199) my plan is to have a panel fixed to the roof, so it charges while parked and driving, and a folding panel for use at the campsite for extra capacity.
Jason

Great idea Jason, that way if you park the van in a shady area you can still use your folding panel to get some power. Found a few links that migth be of use.
http://www.caravanworld.com.au/latest-reviews/article/articleid/74595.aspx
http://hobohome.com/news/?p=491
http://www.exploroz.com/vehicle/electrics/solar.aspx
http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic..._Mounting_2_Solar_Panels_on_Caravan_Roof.aspx

Bushy

Jan 6, 2011
G'day jason i would be interesed in knowing how you connect folding panels into the system could you keep me up to date with how you go thanks.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I was told by my dealer if I opted for the anderson plug on the van (setup to charge the van battery) then i could use that. As long as i have a solar panel with a regulator already.

I have a 80W folding panel with regulator, just need to remove the aligator clips and attach and anderson plug (and wait for it to stop RAINING!!!!!!!!!).

Hopefully it works!?!?!?

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
I was going to install an Anderson plug on the offside of the van, and run the cable directly back to the solar controller on the Van. I have other plans for the Anderson plug on the drawbar. I have a removable second battery in the tug that will become the second battery in the van.

EDIT:
This is because I already have installed panels on the roof (120w) and my folding panel will plug into the new plug i will install.

pgapes

Aug 16, 2011
I have been advised by our previous van owner the Honda i20 generators are better than the solar setup? Approx price $1800 - 2K

Just throwing it out there...

Kind regards...

pgapes

jbell6660

Apr 30, 2011
Sydney
Solar & anderson Plug charging

I was told by my dealer if I opted for the anderson plug on the van (setup to charge the van battery) then i could use that. As long as i have a solar panel with a regulator already.

I have a 80W folding panel with regulator, just need to remove the aligator clips and attach and anderson plug (and wait for it to stop RAINING!!!!!!!!!).

Hopefully it works!?!?!?

Moto do you charge your battery by solar and the anderson plug plug at the same time?? Jim.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Moto do you charge your battery by solar and the anderson plug plug at the same time?? Jim.

Not sure i understand the question Jim.

But i'll have a crack. I haven't tried yet but planning on charging the van battery through the andeson plug connector at the front of the van with the solar panel when free camping. The van anderson plug is normally used to connect to the tow vehicle (also has an anderson plug fitted) while towing to charge the battery. Hope this answers your question.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I have been advised by our previous van owner the Honda i20 generators are better than the solar setup? Approx price $1800 - 2K

Just throwing it out there...

Kind regards...

pgapes
The advantage of a genny is good in that you can use your 240 appliances but if bush camping it may annoy others after a while with the noise of the geeny if there in earshot. Also if staying unpowered at a caravan park gennies normally aren't allowed.

Bushy

Jan 6, 2011
Hi guys if i istalled an anderson plug on A frame of van to which portable solar panels connect,where does that get wired to,straight to battery or to solar controller? i currently have 90watt panel on roof with a 100ahr battery ,and pv solar controller,could someone help me out please.

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Hi guys if i istalled an anderson plug on A frame of van to which portable solar panels connect,where does that get wired to,straight to battery or to solar controller? i currently have 90watt panel on roof with a 100ahr battery ,and pv solar controller,could someone help me out please.

If it was dedicated for solar and you don't have a regulator on the panel (or removed it like me) I would wire it into the solar controller. If you have a portable solar panel with a good regulator, I would consider using the normal Anderson plug (if installed) that runs directly to your battery.

Bushy

Jan 6, 2011
I have got a 12 pin plug setup ,and looking to purchase 80-120 watt panels just wasnt sure on which way to go with wiring,i will get panels with regulator ,option two sounds like the way for me,will need anderson plug on A frame.

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
I have got a 12 pin plug setup ,and looking to purchase 80-120 watt panels just wasnt sure on which way to go with wiring,i will get panels with regulator ,option two sounds like the way for me,will need anderson plug on A frame.

While using two panels both with their own regulators will work it may not be the most efficient way to go. Regulators rely on feedback they are getting from the battery to determine what charge they will allow through to the battery, on top of this many of the newer regulators are also multi-stage which adds another layer of complexity. if you have two separate charging sources it could affect the way each regulator perceives the current state of the battery. The best way to go if possible would be to hook both panels in parallel to a single regulator. if you do decide to hook both panels together you should check that the regulator can handle the combined output of the two panels. You should also make sure that each panel has a blocking diode installed as well, otherwise if one panel is in the shade and the other in the sun the shaded one will draw current from the other one. Most panels have these built in now days but check with your supplier to make sure. Never hook a panel direct to your battery without a regulator and always install a fuse in the charge line as close to the battery as possible.

Shane

richard

Jun 9, 2011
The advantage of a genny is good in that you can use your 240 appliances but if bush camping it may annoy others after a while with the noise of the geeny if there in earshot. Also if staying unpowered at a caravan park gennies normally aren't allowed.

What size power cord will be needed with this type of set up? Will you need a 10 or 15 amp? Can the van take a 10amp connection into the side?